Perfect for your patriotic party, these Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Tops are patriotic! Great for 4th of July or Memorial Day, these cupcake tops are perfect for showing your patriotic colors. Plus, cupcakes!
It hit me last week that it’s already Memorial Day this weekend. The gateway to summer is happening and it feels like it was just January.
Normally I’m excited for the prospect of Memorial Day. It’s a three-day weekend and it means that summer (and the release of school) is just around the corner. This year, however, I’m not looking forward to Monday. That’s the day Jordan and I will get up early and drive to her best best best friend’s house and give them one last hug before we watch them drive away to their new home in Utah.
I never had a best friend move away when I was young, so I’m not sure exactly how to help Jordan cope. Thank goodness for snapchat and instagram and FaceTime, because I know they’ll talk a lot, and we already have a trip planned for Jordan to go out and see them this summer. But still…that day to day without her friend is going to be super emotional for both of us (after all, I’m losing my friend too – her mom!)
I decided to make these cupcakes for Memorial Day this year because I feel like the significance of the day gets lost in the start of summer. Sure, Memorial Day is a traditional day for picnics and BBQ and the official start to the summer season, but it’s also a day we thank our military. Red, white, and blue food shouldn’t be served just on the 4th of July, after all. Patriotic cupcakes are good for Memorial Day too!
Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Tops are the perfect topper for a patriotic cupcake! The colors make this look like a flag cupcake!
This cupcake decorating idea couldn’t be easier. You just need three things: blue frosting, whipped cream or whipped topping (or vanilla frosting), and strawberries (or raspberries).
Just those three ingredients, when you put them on top a cupcake, makes an easy red, white, and blue cupcake perfect for the 4th of July or Memorial Day!
This recipe is more of a method, and you can use what you like to personalize it. Not only are these fun, but they’re super pretty too.
How to make an EASY Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Topper:
- Make cupcakes look like flag cupcakes by adding red, white, and blue to the top.
- Use canned frosting or my favorite recipe and tint the frosting blue.
- Use white frosting or whipped cream (or Cool whip) for the center color.
- Strawberries are gorgeous on here, and really go well with chocolate cupcakes!
Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Tops
- 24 chocolate or vanilla cupcakes baked and cooled
- 1 can 16 ounces vanilla frosting (or vanilla frosting from scratch)
- Blue food coloring
- 1 container 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 12-24 strawberries or raspberries
- Bake and cool your cupcakes according to package directions.
- Tint your frosting blue. Place it in a pasty bag fitted with a round tip.
- Place your cool whip in a ziploc bag with the tip cut off.
- Frost each cupcake with a bit of blue frosting. Top with cool whip. Place 1/2 or a full strawberry on top (or use raspberries).
- You can frost the cupcakes with frosting and cool whip up to 24 hours in advance. Store in refrigerator and add strawberries before serving.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: May 24, 2018