This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
These 4th of July cupcakes are amazing for the 4th of July or Memorial Day weekend. Either way, this cupcake top recipe has gorgeous white and blue colors from the frosting and red from the strawberry, all resembling the American flag.
Table of Contents
Easy 4th of July Cupcake Tops
4th of July cupcake decorating is a new tradition for me since it makes a festive and fun time in the kitchen. Plus, these fireworks cupcakes are a showstopper! They always turn out looking perfect and so professional.
I always serve patriotic cupcakes for my 4th of July party since they are an easy dessert and they decorate the table for my guests. Double win!
What I love most about these Cupcake Tops for the 4th of July is how easy and quick it is to make. Just frost two easy layers of blue and white then top it off with a red berry. That’s it! They always turn out perfect.
- Cupcakes: use either chocolate or vanilla cupcakes
- Frosting: vanilla frosting to add some blue food color later
- Food coloring: blue food coloring to dye the vanilla frosting layer
- Cool Whip: this will lay on top of the blue vanilla frosting
- Berries: strawberries or raspberries to finish off with red
How to make Cupcake Tops for the 4th of July
- Bake and cool your cupcakes to room temperature.
- Tint your vanilla frosting blue with a few drops of the blue food coloring then place it in a pastry bag fitted with a round tip. In a ziploc bag, place your cool whip in and cut the tip off to help frost.
- Frost each cupcake with a bit of blue frosting. Top the blue with the white cool whip. Place a strawberry on top to finish.
- Make cupcakes look like flag cupcakes by adding red, white, and blue to the top.
- Use canned frosting or my favorite recipe and tint the frosting blue.
- Use white frosting or whipped cream (or Cool whip) for the center color.
- Strawberries are gorgeous on here, and really go well with chocolate cupcakes!
Yes, you can! These cupcake tops hold great in the freezer for up to 1 month in an airtight container.
You can frost the cupcakes with frosting and cool whip up to 24 hours in advance. Store in refrigerator and add strawberries before serving.
Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Tops
- 24 chocolate or vanilla cupcakes baked and cooled
- 1 can 16 ounces vanilla frosting (or vanilla frosting from scratch)
- Blue food coloring
- 1 container 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 12-24 strawberries or raspberries
- Bake and cool your cupcakes according to package directions.
- Tint your frosting blue. Place it in a pasty bag fitted with a round tip.
- Place your cool whip in a ziploc bag with the tip cut off.
- Frost each cupcake with a bit of blue frosting. Top with cool whip. Place 1/2 or a full strawberry on top (or use raspberries).
- You can frost the cupcakes with frosting and cool whip up to 24 hours in advance. Store in refrigerator and add strawberries before serving.
Last Updated on June 23, 2023