This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This is my mom’s homemade pumpkin pie recipe – it’s the classic recipe we all know and love. We’ve been enjoying this pie my ENTIRE life – and it’s one of those recipes everyone always asks for.
Are there any recipes you look forward to every year? Maybe ones your mom or grandmother make, or that you make from their recipes? I have several of those: Russian Teacakes, Pecan Pie, Banana Bread…and this pumpkin pie recipe.
My mom has made this homemade pumpkin pie recipe at every Thanksgiving for my entire life. It’s everyone’s favorite and one of the most requested things she makes!
This easy pumpkin pie recipe is one of the best ones out there and your family will love it!
Table of Contents
Pumpkin pie has just a few ingredients and whisks together in minutes. My favorite part of this pie are the pumpkin pie spices. I splurge when I make pumpkin pie and buy them all separately because I love the smell of allspice. It just smells like the holidays to me.
There are lots of homemade pumpkin pie recipes out there but I will tell you that this one performs every single time. I’ve been eating it for 41 years and I’ve never been disappointed. Whether you make my all butter pie crust or use one from the freezer or grocery store, this pie is one that you’ll keep coming back to again and again.
EASY Classic Pie Recipe
You just need a handful of ingredients, one whisk, and one bowl:
- Pumpkin puree
- Pumpkin spices
That’s it! Just dump them into your bowl and whisk, then pour into your pie plate. Once it bakes and cools it forms a soft and perfect custard that everyone expects when they crave pumpkin pie.
Pan Size for Pumpkin Pie
Growing up, my mom used these small pie tins from a local bakery. She’d bought pies in them before I was born and saved the tins. They’re what we made her pies in every year. Since they were only 7-inch pie tins, this pecan pie recipe made two of them.
As an adult, I stocked up on 9-inch pie plates, so I usually make one (very full) 9-inch pie with this recipe. However, when I made this pie for this blog post, I used a disposable pie plate. (I love stocking up on those this time of year for giving, plus when I’m making a ton of pie recipes at once I have to give them away and making them in these are easier.)
While the disposable pie plates say they’re 9-inches, they’re a bit smaller, so I had some leftover pie filling. With the leftover pie filling, I made mini pumpkin pies using a refrigerated pie crust and a mini muffin pan. It’s so easy to do if you have leftover filling.
- Use a 9-inch pie plate for a very full pie
- You can use a larger (9 1/2-inch or 10-inch) pie plate
- You can use a deep dish 9-inch pie plate as well
- If you have smaller pie plates, make one pie and some mini pumpkin pies, or make two 7-inch pies
No matter how you make this pie, it’s so simple. Classic pumpkin pie is a must at every Thanksgiving dinner table!
Storing and Freezing
This pie freezes well too. I like to make my pumpkin pie ahead and freeze it for the big day! Right now I have several pies in my freezer for Thanksgiving and they’ll all be just perfect.
And hey, if you love chocolate, did you know that chocolate and pumpkin go really well together? Check out my Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pie!
Other Pies for Fall
- I’ve also added chocolate chips to my Mom’s Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pie!
- This No Bake Pumpkin Pie is the perfect cream pie!
- Pumpkin Pie Bars have a streusel topping!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Mom’s Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 all butter pie crust from scratch or from a pack of two
- 1 3/4 cups (1-15 ounce can) pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place your pie crust in a 9-10” pie plate.
- Please note: this pie gets very full. It’s pictured made in a standard 9” pie plate. If you have a 9.5” – 10” or 9” deep dish pie plate, you can use those as well. If you’re using anything smaller than 9-inch there will be extra filling. Use any extra filling to make mini pumpkin pies (see below). Place pie plate on a cookie sheet for baking.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth. Pour into pie plate.
- It’s best if you cover the edges of the pie crust with foil or a pie crust shield before you start baking. Remove the foil after 50-60 minutes of bake time.
- Carefully transfer pie to oven and bake for 60-75 minutes. I’m giving a large range in time because it depends on what size pie plate you’re using and your oven. My 9” pie plate took 70 minutes. It’s done when the center looks solid. Cool completely, then wrap tightly and chill for at least 4 hours before serving. Serve with whipped cream. Store in refrigerator.
- To make mini pies: use a round cookie cutter or mason jar lid to cut circles out of pie crust. Press into mini muffin pans and fill with about 1-2 tablespoons pie filling. Bake time will be about 20-30 minutes.
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
My Mom’s Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe is a classic Thanksgiving pie! This easy custard pie is full of pumpkin spice and you will love it!
Last Updated on October 15, 2020
I literally make this recipe all the time! It is so good! And SO easy! Everyone raves about it when I make it! Thanks for such a great recipe!
I use the all butter pie crust and made this recipe last Thanksgiving and it was a hit, using it again this year.