This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
My Mom’s Classic Pecan Pie Recipe is one of our favorite traditional pies. It takes just a few ingredients and a few minutes to make this easy pie recipe!
I think whoever coined the phrase “easy as pie” was talking about THIS Pie. It’s one of the easiest recipes around and now? It’s one of my favorites.
Why this is the BEST Pecan Pie
Now? Now I want to eat it all. The. Time.
I’m mad I did not realize how good this pie was when I was growing up; I feel like I wasted YEARS of my life not eating this easy and classic pie recipe.
It’s kind of depressing in a #firstworldproblem way, dontcha think? Oh, well. I’ll make up for it this year, I’m sure.
My mom has so many classic recipes, most from her old Home Ec class in high school. I think this is one of those recipes.
This recipe is my mom’s famous recipe. My mom is pretty famous on this blog, don’t you know? She’s the one who introduced me to the best banana bread in the world, russian teacakes that I ended up stuffing with Reese’s, and she makes a mean pumpkin pie.
This easy pecan pie recipe is a class and sure to be a hit!
I consider this an old fashioned pecan pie because it’s made with Karo. If you don’t like using corn syrup, try my other favorite pecan pie: Elmer’s Brown Sugar Pecan Pie. That one is to die for also!
Traditional pecan pie is such a classic recipe. I don’t know about you, but it’s never Thanksgiving without this pie!
Wonder how to make a simple pecan pie?
You just need a few simple ingredients to make this easy pie recipe:
- Dark corn syrup
- And my secret ingredient…cornstarch!
Secret to the BEST Pecan Pie
So, let’s talk about texture for a second. I’m not a huge fan of jelly type textures, and that’s why I never loved this pie as a kid. I loved the flavor of it, but not the texture, which is why my secret ingredient makes this pie filling perfect and creamy.
Just 2 teaspoons of cornstarch added to the filling made it creamy and not like gelatin.
I know you’re going to love this pie. Seriously – it takes about 15 minutes to put this pie together. It’s one of the easiest things you’ll make this holiday. Try it. You won’t be sorry!
If you don’t like it you can blame my mom, lol. #sorrymom
Classic Pecan Pie
- 1 all butter pie crust homemade or from a pack of two
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line your pie plate with your pie crust, crimp edges as desired, and chill until ready to fill. Note: make sure to use a 8-9” pie plate for this pie; using anything bigger than 9” will result in a not full pie!
- Whisk eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter, salt, and cornstarch in a large bowl.
- Place the pecans in a single layer in the bottom of your pie crust. Pour the filling over the top. The pecans will rise to the top of the pie.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet. Tear off 4” long strips of aluminum foil (about 1 1/2” wide) and wrap the edges of the pie crust so it doesn’t brown too quickly. (Or you can use a pie crust shield.)
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425°F. Then lower the temperature to 350°F and bake for 20 minutes. At that time, carefully remove the foil strips or pie crust shield, then bake for another 12-16 minutes until the pie is puffed and browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before serving. (I chill mine overnight and then bring it to room temperature before serving.) Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze (whole or slices) for up to one month.
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Apple Pecan Pie is another of our favorite pie recipes!
Fudge combines fudge and pecan pie flavor!
Toffee & Chocolate Pie is chocolate pecan pie made even better.
Last Updated on August 3, 2022