This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This Ice Cream Sandwich Cake recipe turns simple chocolate ice cream sandwiches into the coolest, creamiest ice cream cake! This is a quick five-ingredient dessert that you will want to make all summer long!
Table of Contents
Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
If it’s summer, you can bet I’m all about the easy desserts! As much as I love to bake, I’ll look for any way to escape a hot kitchen and my stand mixer. Thank goodness for no-bake desserts – they are what save me when the temperature goes up!
We are raiding the frozen dessert aisle for this easy cake – a cake that doesn’t need baking or even a mixer. Classic chocolate ice cream sandwiches with vanilla ice cream make the best ice cream cake! This recipe is similar to an icebox cake and uses those classic frozen treats to make a deliciously cold and creamy cake that you can slice and serve. It looks like a layer cake.
The best news? You only need five ingredients to make this cake, and it’s ready to go in the freezer in about 10 minutes. Ice cream cake with ice cream sandwiches is my ideal summer dessert!
5 Ingredient Ice Cream Cake
- Ice cream Sandwiches – use rectangle-shaped ones or round ones.
- Cool Whip – you can use any kind, including sugar-free, fat-free, low fat, and creamy.
- Chopped Oreos – do this with a bag and rolling pin or in a food processor.
- Chocolate sauce – or use my homemade hot fudge
How to Make An Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe
- Arrange half of the ice cream sandwiches in a 9×13” baking dish. Cut the last few to fit the pan as needed.
- Top the sandwiches with half of the Cool Whip and spread it into an even layer.
- Drizzle the chocolate sauce over the top, and then sprinkle the crushed cookies over the top.
- Make another layer of ice cream sandwich, top them with the rest of the whipped topping and crushed cookies. Decorate with sprinkles.
- Freeze the cake for at least one hour or until it’s set.
- You can use any ice cream sandwich flavor you like. I’ve tried ones with chocolate ice cream, vanilla ice cream, and Neapolitan ice cream – all three are fantastic.
- If you like Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches or other round ones, you’ll need a few more sandwiches.
- Feel free to use your favorite Cool Whip – all of them will work! Or substitute fresh whipped cream!
- For the cookies, use your favorite Oreos (think mint, Golden Oreos, or any seasonal kind you like) or use any cookie that you can crush.
- For the sauces, feel free to use caramel sauce in place of the chocolate or do a combo of both.
- You can also add your favorite chopped candy and/or chopped nuts – chopped peanut butter cups, candy bars, walnuts, peanuts, and almonds would all work great. Moral of the story?
This will last three months in the freezer when covered tightly in an airtight container.
It makes a 9×13-inch pan size, so I’d say 16-20 servings (more or less depending on how big the slices).
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 24 rectangular ice cream sandwiches unwrapped
- 16 ounces 452g whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed
- 10 Oreos
- ¼ cup chocolate sauce
- Sprinkles for garnish
- Spread 12 of the ice cream sandwiches in a 9×13-inch baking dish, cutting to fit the last few as needed.
- Top with half of the Cool Whip and spread evenly.
- Roughly chop Oreos, or place in a bag and roll with a rolling pin to crush.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce over cool whip in pan, then sprinkle with cookie crumbs.
- Add remaining ice cream sandwiches, top with remaining Cool whip. Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs and garnish with sprinkles.
- Freeze until set, at least 1 hour.
- Store leftovers in freezer, loosely covered, for up to 1 month.
• Use any flavor ice cream sandwich. They sell chocolate or Neapolitan rectangular ones which would both be delicious.
• Want to use Skinny Cow or similar (round) ice cream sandwiches? You’ll need about 24-30 total sandwiches. Use any flavor.
• You can use any kind of Cool Whip (sugar free, fat free, low fat, creamy)
• Use any kind of cookies in place of the Oreos, or omit and use more sprinkles, or nuts
This Ice Cream Sandwich cake will feed the masses! Ice cream sandwiches are the perfect summer treat and turning them into a cake is the best summer dessert!
Last Updated on June 26, 2023