No Bake Peanut Butter Icebox Cake – this easy lush dessert layers peanut butter sandwich cookies with peanut butter pudding! This is the ULTIMATE peanut butter no bake dessert recipe!
The BEST Icebox Cake Recipe EVER
When hot weather hits I only want to make no-bake desserts and this is the most EPIC one you’ll ever see: Peanut Butter Icebox Cake.
This no-bake lush can be called so many things: dream dessert, lush, dessert lasagna, but whatever you call it, know that it’s amazing!
You will LOVE this because:
- Totally no-bake
- Peanut Butter GALORE: sandwich cookies and peanut butter pudding
- The cookies soften so it’s like eating cake
- Did I mention how EASY it is?
If you love peanut butter you NEED this recipe!
How to make Peanut Butter Icebox Cake Recipe
Table of Contents
What is an Icebox Cake?
An Icebox Cake has 3 main components:
- Cookie Layers
- Creamy filling
The cookie layers are sandwiched with the creamy filling and then the dessert is refrigerated (in the “icebox”). The cookies become soft from the filling and soaking and resemble cake. So it’s like eating a no-bake cake!
THIS No Bake Peanut Butter Icebox Cake is completely peanut butter, from the cookie layers to the pudding to the candy topping.
Ingredients in Peanut Butter Icebox Cake
Cookies: For this cake version we are using peanut butter sandwich cookies (AKA Nutter Butters). You can use any sandwich cookie you like, any flavor (Oreos would be great too!)
Milk: Because sandwich cookies are thick, we dunk them in milk to help them get started soaking. That way after refrigerating the cookies will soak through and get soft.
Pudding Mix: We use instant pudding mix in this, vanilla or cheesecake flavor.
Peanut Butter: I’m using creamy peanut butter but crunchy would work too.
Cool Whip: I love the ease of using cool whip, but you can substitute fresh whipped cream on top.
Reese’s Pieces: I decorated the top with candy but you can also use chopped peanut butter cups or more cookies or peanuts.
How to make Icebox Cake
1. Make your pudding: Whisk pudding mix with milk. Then whisk in the peanut butter.
2. Cookies: Dip your cookies in milk and place on the bottom of your pan.
3. Layer: Top with pudding, then more milk-dipped-cookies, then more pudding, and so on. Continue until you’re out of all ingredients.
4. Top: Top with whipped topping. Chill at least 2 hours, then top with candy before serving.
Tips & Variations
- Graham Crackers: You can make an icebox cake with graham crackers instead of cookies. You do not have to dip the graham crackers in milk.
- Oreos or other Cookies: substitute any sandwich cookie or really any cookie at all for the peanut butter sandwich cookies.
- Milk: This recipe needs to be made with cow’s milk for the pudding to set up. You can use nonfat, 2% or full fat milk.
- Can you make icebox cake ahead? Yes – make sure to chill it at least 2 hours before serving – the longer the better! This makes it perfect for making ahead.
- How to store icebox cake: store loosely covered in the refrigerator.
- Whipped Cream: if you prefer using whipped cream, just make my homemade whipped cream and top it right before serving (after chilling).
- Topping: top with ANY candy, crushed cookies, or nuts
- Can you freeze icebox cake? If you use cool whip, then yes you can freeze this.
This no bake peanut butter icebox cake is the perfect summer no bake dessert recipe. I can’t wait to make it for my next cookout!
No Bake Peanut Butter Icebox Cake
- 27-36 peanut butter sandwich cookies such as Nutter Butter or a generic equivalent
- 1 3/4 cups milk divided
- 1 box 3.4 ounces instant vanilla or cheesecake pudding mix
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 8 ounces 1 container Whipped Topping
- 1 cup Reese’s Pieces for topping
- Place ½ cup milk in a small bowl or measuring cup. Dip ⅓ the peanut butter cookies quickly in the milk and then place in the bottom of an 8×8” pan.
- Whisk 1 ¼ cups milk with the pudding in a large bowl. Let set until set, then stir in the peanut butter and half of the whipped topping.
- Spread ½ of the peanut butter mixture on top of the cookie layer. Dip another ⅓ of the cookies in milk and place on top the peanut butter mixture. Top with remaining pudding, then dip the remaining cookies in milk and place on top.
- Spread the rest of the whipped topping over the cookies and sprinkle with Reese’s Pieces.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
If you’re as crazy for peanut butter desserts as I am, this lush dessert will become addictive! I can also see an obsession with Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats Pinwheels, Peanut Butter Cup Pie, and Chocolate Ganache Filled Peanut Butter Cookie Cups. Peanut butter love for everyone!
EASY Peanut Butter Icebox Cake – this icebox cake recipe has peanut butter cookies and peanut butter pudding. It’s a no-bake dessert that’s a peanut butter lover’s dream dessert!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: June 25, 2017