French Silk Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
If you love French Silk as much as I do, these cupcakes are for you: an easy chocolate cupcake filled with eggless french silk, topped with whipped cream and a pie crust chip!
Remember those French Silk Brownies? Well, I made these cupcakes right around the same time I made those. I took tons of gorgeous photos from all angles. I downloaded them to my computer and went on with my life. Then, last week, I decided to edit the photos and get ready to post. And all I found were 4 photos of the inside of the cupcakes.
No overhead shots.
No shots of pretty completed full cupcakes.
Just four of the exact same photo, zoomed in and zoomed out.
I had a major #foodbloggingtantrum at that point, because I knew the other photos were gone. I’ve formatted all my memory cards about 3 times each since I made these.
Moral of the story: edit photos right away.
I’ll probably find the rest in some obscure file some day in about three years. Until then, we’re left with inside gooey shots of these cupcakes…which isn’t horribly bad because they look so darn good!
They look complicated, but they’re really easy. You can use a box mix for the cupcake, but my chocolate cupcake recipe is my favorite one. It’s also egg-free, so these cupcakes are a winner if you’re dealing with an egg allergy.
Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled, you make the easy french silk. It’s just a matter of melting chocolate and stirring it in with cream cheese and some whipped topping. It’s great with a spoon, but it’s even better stuffed into cupcakes.
To fill the cupcakes I cut out a section of the top and add the filling. Then I frosted the cupcake with more of the french silk mixture, so it would show. Top with more whipped topping or whipped cream and a pie crust chip and you’ve got a french silk pie cupcake!
I’m not even going to tell you how many I ate. Even if I’d noticed the missing photos right away…I don’t think it would have mattered…
French Silk Cupcakes
French Silk Cupcakes - an easy chocolate cupcake recipe filled with eggless french silk, topped with whipped cream and a pie crust chip!
- 24 Chocolate Cupcakes baked and cooled (from scratch or a box mix)
- 4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate plus more for garnish
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 16 ounces 2 - 8 ounce tubs Cool Whip
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- You can make box cupcakes, or make my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe (without the filling and frosting). Let them cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in a large microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds, then stir, heat for 30 seconds again, then stir well, then heat on 10 second increments, stirring between each, until smooth. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese in a large bowl with a hand mixer until smooth. Add chocolate and mix until combined, then mix in vanilla. Fold in half of the Cool Whip (one 8 ounce container).
- Cut a small cone shaped section out of the center of each cupcake. Fill with some of the chocolate filling. Slice the tip of the cone of cupcake you removed then replace the top and frost with a little more of the chocolate mixture.
- Spread more Cool Whip on the top of each cupcake, like frosting. It’s pretty to do this with a pastry bag and a 1M tip. You can also use canned or fresh whipped cream instead.
- Use a potato peeler to shave some additional baking chocolate all over the top of each cupcake.
- Chill for at least one hour before serving to allow them to set. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Note: if you’re using real whipped cream or Reddi-Whip for the top of the cupcakes, add it just before serving. Cool Whip can last longer without melting off the cupcakes or weeping.