This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Get ready to celebrate the 4th of July with these delicious, gooey blondies! They’re so soft and look incredible with the fun patriotic sprinkles and M&Ms.
Table of Contents
Blondies for the 4th of July
This easy blondie recipe is next-level delicious when you add my tips and tricks. It always turns out so rich, gooey, and is loaded with all the goodies.
These 4th of July blondies are a showstopper dessert that will light up any celebration. I call them Fireworks Blondies because the sprinkles and M&Ms look like an explosion of July Fourth fireworks.
If you’re making a dessert for the 4th of July, then you need to make a grab-and-go food. And these blondies are PERFECT for that. Plus, the kids love them so prepare for them to disappear FAST!
The best part about baking cookie bars? You don’t need to worry about them spreading while baking – Just mix your ingredients, spread them on a pan, and viola! An incredible batch of firework blondies that look like the 4th of July fireworks.
- Butter: I always use unsalted butter because it’s easier to control the flavor. For this 4th of July cookie bar, we’ll use melted butter for a gooey and chewy texture.
- Sugar: I am using light brown sugar because it gives these blondie bars an incredible caramelized flavor. When you measure the sugar, be sure to pack it. Packing the brown sugar will ensure there are no lumps or pockets of air inside the measuring cup.
- Egg: I’m using large eggs to bind all the ingredients better together. Be sure the eggs are at room temperature before mixing them into the batter. It just helps with the mixing process.
- Baking powder: let’s not confuse the baking powder with the baking soda. I’ll be using a teaspoon of baking powder to help these blondie bars rise
- M&Ms: you can just use sweet chocolate chips instead but I love to add M&Ms for the pop of red white, and blue colors. I have tried these blondies with butterscotch chips and oh my… so good. If you can’t pick, it’s ok to use M&Ms and chocolate chips because why not?
- Sprinkles: I’m using patriotic sprinkles to make these blondie bars into firework blondie bars.
How to make blondies
- Preheat oven to 350°F then line a metal baking pan with parchment paper or foil and spray generously with cooking spray.
- Cream butter and brown sugar with a stand or a hand mixer until crumbly.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Then add salt, baking powder, and flour to mix together until evenly combined.
- Stir in M&Ms and sprinkles.
- Spread in prepared pan. The mixture is wet so it’s best to spray your hands with cooking spray and then smooth the dough with your hands to get an even layer.
- Top with extra M&Ms if desired to make them look prettier.
- Bake for about 22-25 minutes until they start to turn golden.
- I love these blondies a bit under-baked. They’ll finish baking as they cool and you don’t want them over-baked.
- For best results, bake these in a metal pan. Glass will make them brown too fast on top and they’ll be raw in the middle.
- For my chocolate chip cookie fans, you can make these into chocolate chip cookie bars by adding some chocolate chips to the batter. You can use an equal amount of chips as the M&Ms.
- If you love peanut butter chocolate, then add some peanut butter chips in place of the chocolate chips or M&Ms. Just be sure to use the same measurement listed for M&Ms.
Your blondies probably didn’t make through because they needed to be left in the oven a bit longer. Bake them for about 22-25 minutes and watch for them to turn golden brown.
Yes. You need to use baking powder for this blondie recipe to help the cookie bar rise during the baking process.
Yes. You can freeze blondies for up to 1 month in an airtight container or sealed plastic bag.
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (400g) packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups (248g) all purpose flour
- 2 cups red white, and blue M&Ms
- ½ cup patriotic sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13” pan with foil and spray well with cooking spray.
- Mix butter and brown sugar with a stand or a hand mixer until crumbly. Mix in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Mix in salt, baking powder, then flour. Stir in M&Ms and sprinkles.
- Spread in prepared pan. The mixture is wet so it’s best to spray your hands with cooking spray and then smooth the dough with your hands to get an even layer. Top with extra M&Ms if desired to make them look prettier.
- Bake for about 22-25 minutes until they start to turn golden. Err on the side of under baked with these – they’ll finish baking as the cool and you don’t want them over baked.
- For best results, bake in a metal pan.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Last Updated on June 29, 2023