This is the ONLY Blondie Recipe you need! These easy blondies are cookie bars full of your favorite candy or chocolate chips.
I’ve been making this recipe in different ways for YEARS and it’s the best.
What is a blondie?
Besides being one of my favorite desserts, a blondie is a fudgy baked bar reminiscent of a brownie without the chocolate. (You’ll often hear them called “blonde brownies” for this reason.) They’re crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside and are better than any cookie, and easier to make too.
This basic recipe is the BEST blondie recipe you’ll ever make. It’s chewy and soft, stays soft for days, and is great with any candy or even plain!
One of the things I love about this blondie recipe is how chewy AND soft they are.
Why we LOVE These Blondies
I’ve been making this recipe for over 10 years and it always turns out perfectly! We love these because:
They stay soft for DAYS
They’re a great blank canvas to add your favorite mix-ins
They’re great for shipping because they stay soft so long
They’re delicious, soft, chewy and EVERYONE who eats them loves them!
I think the main reason the texture of these blondies is so great is because of all the brown sugar in them. There is 2 cups of brown sugar in this recipe! 2 cups sugar to ½ cup butter, which seems like a lot, but creates the best ever texture and flavor.
Brown sugar gives so much flavor and texture to baked goods. You’ll notice most of my cookie recipes have mostly brown sugar in them; that’s because brown sugar gives a depth of flavor and keeps baked goods soft.
What is the Difference Between a Blondie and a Brownie?
A Brownie is rich and fudgy and all chocolate, whereas a Blondie isn’t chocolate. A blondie isn’t just a cookie bar, it’s a different recipe than a traditional cookie and is rich and fudgy without all the chocolate.
What is a Blondie made of?
- Brown Sugar – here is a whopping 2 cups of brown sugar in this recipe. That makes them super fudgy and rich – and keeps them staying soft.
- Eggs: this adds chewiness to the bars.
- Baking Powder: instead of using baking soda these blondies use baking powder which helps keep them soft.
- Vanilla: typical for blondie recipes.
- Mix-ins: this is where it gets fun! You can add any kind of mix-ins you like (see my list below) or you can leave them plain.
How to make blondies from scratch?
- Cream: cream the butter and sugar until crumbly, then mix in the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix: add the baking powder and salt, then the flour. The mixture will be smooth. Stir in whatever mix-ins you’re using.
- Bake: bake these in a 9×13-inch pan until they just lose their glossy sheen and are lightly golden around the edges. They’re better under-done!
They will be cooked through but they’ll be fudgy looking.
It’s best to err on the side of under-baked with these. As soon as the edges look golden and the top just loses the glossy sheen they’re done. They’ll still be a bit jiggly in the center when you take them out – they’ll finish setting while they cool.
These stay fresh for at least a week in an airtight container because of all that brown sugar! You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.
I love a cookie or bar that is soft AND chewy AND gooey, and these blondies fit all three!
There are three magical reasons why these blondies fit all three of those categories:
- Real butter, not oil. The flavor of butter is a must!
- BROWN SUGAR, as before mentioned. 2 full cups, packed!
- 2 eggs in the batter make it a looser dough, allowing the end product to be gooey. But the egg yolks lend to a chewy texture.
This basic blondie recipe will be your go-to and is the perfect blank canvas for any flavor combination!
Whether you want peanut butter blondies, butterscotch blondies, or just plain chocolate chip, this is the recipe for you. Use your creativity: choose up to 2 cups of any combinations of mix-ins to make your favorite cookie bar.
The BEST Blondie mix-ins are:
- Chocolate Chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Peanut Butter chips
- Chopped candy bars like Snickers, Milky Way, or peanut butter cups
- Anything YOU like!
If you love blondies, try all my favorites:
Best Blondies Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups mix-ins: toffee, chopped candy bars, M&Ms, chocolate chips, nuts, etc
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13” pan with foil and spray well with cooking spray.
- Mix butter and brown sugar with a stand or a hand mixer until crumbly. Mix in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Mix in salt, baking powder, then flour. Stir in 1 ½ cups of the mix-ins.
- Spread in prepared pan. The mixture is wet so it’s best to spray your hands with cooking spray and then smooth the dough with your hands to get an even layer. Top with remaining mix-ins
- Bake for about 22-25 minutes until they start to turn golden. Err on the side of under baked with these – they’ll finish baking as the cool and you don’t want them over baked.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Coconut Sugar Cookie Bars are one of my favorites too!
These are the best ever sugar cookie bars!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: January 13, 2019