Easy no bake Rocky Road Bars are loaded with chocolate, pecans, and marshmallows! This is a really easy no bake dessert bar that doesn’t take long to make and keeps up to a week. The perfect no-bake dessert – without peanut butter!
Why We Love Rocky Road Bars
Who are my rocky road fans!? I am totally team nuts, marshmallows, and chocolate, and these no bake bars are the best way to get that rocky road fix!
This is the easiest recipe! Five ingredients, and they take less than 30 minutes to make.
No oven required – all you need is a microwave, a baking dish, and the patience to let the bars chill in the fridge!
The no bake bars taste like chocolate candy and are the perfect treat for parties and potlucks. You can make them ahead and then slice and serve – so simple.
This is a rocky road without peanut butter – you can also make the bars completely nut-free and use graham crackers instead.
Keep reading to learn how to make this rocky road candy bar – I’m sharing all of my tips so you can get the perfect batch!
Table of Contents
What’s In Rocky Road?
- Chocolate Chips: Semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips are the best but you can also use dark or bittersweet
- Unsalted butter: You can substitute salted butter if needed
- Sweetened condensed milk: use regular, not the fat-free kind.
- Pecans: Coarsely chop your nuts, use any kind of nut you like. We also love walnuts in this.
- Mini marshmallows: Minis are the best for this recipe.
How Do You Make Easy Rocky Road?
1. Prepare your pan: First, line a 9×13” pan with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.
2. Melt Chocolate: Place the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat it on 50% power for one minute and stir. Heat it again for 30 seconds and stir again. Repeat this until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
3. Stir: Add the sweetened condensed milk to the melted chocolate and stir to combine. Mix in the nuts and marshmallows.
4. Press: Pour the rocky road mixture into the prepared pan and chill it until the bars are firm. Once firm, slice into bars and serve. Or, you can keep them in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Why did my chocolate seize? If your chocolate seized up, it means you might have got some water in it. When you are melting the chocolate, it’s important to use a dry bowl and spatula or spoon. Also, be sure to set the microwave to 50% power, so the chocolate doesn’t scorch.
- Can you melt the chocolate on the stove? Yes, you can melt it with the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir it frequently as it melts.
- What other nuts can you use? If you don’t like pecans try walnuts, almonds, macadamia nuts, or even peanuts. Just roughly chop them before mixing them into the chocolate.
- Can you leave the nuts out? Yes, feel free to omit them! Sometimes I make them without nuts and mix in the same amount of chopped graham crackers.
- What is in traditional rocky road? There are a lot of variations depending on where you’re from! In the US, people think of rocky road ice cream, which is made with chocolate ice cream, almonds or walnuts, and marshmallows. In Britain, traditional rocky road is a type of bar that has chocolate, nuts, coconut, and marshmallows. In Australia, they often add cherries.
- Why is rocky road called that? There are a few origin stories – the most common one is that it was named for people who traveled to gold fields. Many companies claim they invented rocky road, so it’s not clear how and why it got its name.
We’ve made batches of these for all kinds of occasions, and they’re always a winner! Make a batch and treat you and your family to a no bake candy bar – the chocolate, marshmallows, and nuts are perfect together!
Other No Bake Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- Easy Popcorn Balls Recipe
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Favorite Banana Pudding Recipe
- Classic No Bake Cookies
Easy Rocky Road Bars Recipe
- 2 cups (340g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon (14g) unsalted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (regular, not fat-free)
- 2 ½ cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place chocolate chips and butter in a large bowl. Heat on 50% power for 1 minute then stir. Continue heating at 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk. Then stir in nuts and marshmallows.
- Pour into prepared pan. Chill until firm then cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
• Use any kind of nut in place of the pecans
• Omit nuts and use chopped graham crackers
• Use milk chocolate instead of semi-sweet Adapted from: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22730/rocky-road-candies/
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Easy Rocky Road Bars are a no bake chocolate candy that’s perfect for summer or for the holidays. Just 5 ingredients and they only take 15 minutes to make!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: May 9, 2021