Learn how to make my edible cookie dough recipe without eggs, so it’s safe to eat! This cookie dough recipe is easy to make, and a fun treat. You can customize it with all kinds of add-ins to make it your own – serve it as a dip or just eat it by the spoonful!
Easy Edible Raw Cookie Dough
Are you a cookie dough fan? I am but not the actual raw cookie dough – you know, with raw eggs? That’s a big no-no at our house! So, thank goodness for edible cookie dough – it’s a safe way to enjoy raw cookie dough without risk because it’s eggless.
This is an easy 15-minute recipe, and you can customize it with all of your favorite add-ins. When it’s ready, dig in with a spoon and enjoy it straight from the bowl!
How to make Raw Cookie Dough Recipe Video
Table of Contents
- Easy Edible Raw Cookie Dough
- How to make Raw Cookie Dough Recipe Video
- Cookie Dough That’s Safe to Eat
- Edible Cookie Dough Ingredients
- How to Pasteurize Flour
- How to Make Edible Cookie Dough
- Raw Cookie Dough Mix-Ins
- How to make Edible Cookie Dough for One
- If You’d Rather Have a Baked Treat
- Edible Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough That’s Safe to Eat
You guys probably already know that raw eggs are risky – they can harbor bacteria, which isn’t a problem as long as they’re cooked. So, if you’re ever tempted to taste-test the cookie dough before you bake it, this easy recipe for edible cookie dough is for you.
Edible Cookie Dough Ingredients
- Butter: for this recipe I use softened unsalted butter
- Sugar: just like my favorite cookies, we are using a combination of granulated and brown sugar
- Salt and vanilla extract: for flavor
- Milk: this is used for binding in place of egg
- All-purpose flour: if you don’t want to eat raw flour, did you know you can bake flour for putting in edible cookie dough?
- Your favorite add-ins – more on that in a minute!
The ingredients in this cookie dough are similar to a regular dough with one big exception – no eggs! The milk takes the place of eggs. Everything else is combined to create a yummy sweet cookie dough treat that’s totally safe to eat raw.
How to Pasteurize Flour
To make the flour safe to eat you can pasteurize it by baking it on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes at 350°F. Read my post about how to pasteurize flour here.
How to Make Edible Cookie Dough
1. Cream: The process is just like making regular cookie dough that you bake. Cream the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy.
2. Mix: Mix in the salt, vanilla, and milk. Once the mixture is smooth, add the flour and then mix in your add-ins.
3. Serve: To serve it, you can scoop it like ice cream and serve it in bowls. Or, serve it in one bowl as a dip.
Raw Cookie Dough Mix-Ins
Add chocolate chips to make it chocolate chip cookie dough, or try these other ideas:
- White chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or butterscotch chips
- Nuts – basically any chopped nuts that you like!
- Chopped candy like chocolate bars, chocolate mints, or other candy you like
- Chopped pretzels for a salty-sweet treat
- Mini marshmallows
For this recipe, you can add up to 1 ½ cups of add-ins that you like. Feel free to mix and match to create your own unique edible cookie dough.
How to make Edible Cookie Dough for One
To make this recipe for one here is what you need:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 drop vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
Technically you can, but it won’t be like a cookie if you do. Without eggs, it won’t bake properly. It’s really meant to be enjoyed raw!
You can substitute the same amount of granulated sugar if that’s what you have on hand!
Substitute milk for the eggs to make cookie dough safe to eat.
To be totally safe, I recommend baking flour first before adding it to your cookie dough. It only takes five minutes, and it will kill any bacteria that are in the raw flour.
It will keep in the refrigerator for up to four days. Just keep it in an airtight container.
Yes as long as you make it without eggs and use pasteurized flour.
Yes you can – scoop balls of dough and freeze them that way to make it easier to thaw and have edible cookie dough for one treat!
Three cheers for safe and edible cookie dough! This is such a fun treat, especially if you add your favorite nuts, candy, or chocolate chips. Enjoy!
If You’d Rather Have a Baked Treat
Edible Cookie Dough
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (100g) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup (124g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (170g) chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped nuts optional
- Cream butter and both sugars on low speed until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Mix in salt, vanilla extract, and milk and beat until smooth.
- Add flour and mix until smooth then stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if using.
- Serve in individual bowls or in one bowl as a dip.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
This Edible Cookie Dough is safe to eat raw and SO good! Egg-free with baked flour and it’s the best treat.
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: February 18, 2021