Learn how to make edible cookie dough without brown sugar or eggs so it’s safe to eat. This edible sugar cookie dough is easy to customize with different mix-ins and a fun treat to make for anyone who loves cookie dough.
Maybe you’ve had edible chocolate chip cookie dough, but have you tried edible sugar cookie dough? Not everyone is a chocolate chip fan, so this is a good one to make when you want to satisfy those sugar cookie cravings.
It’s a safe, edible cookie dough that is easy to make and fun to customize with different add-ins.
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough Recipe
When I was growing up, I’m not sure we knew about the whole raw egg issue in cookie dough – if we did, it didn’t stop us from scraping the bowl! Now, I know better and make eggless edible cookie dough that’s safe to eat.
I love this recipe because it tastes just like sugar cookie dough, and it’s super easy to make. We love to switch up the add-ins every time we make it, too. Sprinkles, candies, baking chips, nuts… the possibilities are endless with this recipe.
This is an easy edible dough without brown sugar and eggs. I’m also explaining how to heat-treat your flour, so you don’t have to worry about anything!
Table of Contents
Ingredients Needed to Make Sugar Cookie Dough
- Unsalted butter – leave it out at room temperature, so it’s softened
- Granulated sugar – sugar cookies are best with white sugar
- Vanilla and Almond Extracts – for flavor. You can omit the almond but we love it.
- Milk – instead of egg I use milk to combine the dough together
- All-purpose flour – you can heat treat it first to kill any bacteria hiding in it. All you do is spread it out on a baking sheet and bake it for five minutes at 350°F. Basically, you are lightly toasting it. Read all about cooking flour.
- Mix-ins like sprinkles, candy, baking chips, or nuts
How to Make Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
1. Cream: In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add both kinds of extract and mix to combine.
2. Mix: With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the flour until it’s mixed in and the dough is smooth.
3. Mix-Ins: Add in your favorite variation (listed below).
4. Serve: Serve scoops in a bowl like ice cream or eat it with a spoon! Or you can scoop balls of dough like truffles.
Mix in a ½ cup of these add-ins:
- Chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or white chocolate chips
- Chopped peanut butter cups or Reese’s pieces
- Chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, or macadamia nuts
- How do you make pasteurized flour? “Pasteurized flour” is just a fancy way to say heat-treated, and it’s really easy to do. You can bake your flour in the oven for five minutes at 350°F to kill bacteria. Just measure out the amount you need, spread it on a baking sheet, and pop it in the oven. Let it cool and then use it in your recipe.
- Can you bake edible cookie dough? You can, but you probably won’t like how the cookies turn out. In regular cookie dough, eggs act as a binder that holds the cookies together. With edible cookie dough, the egg is left out, so if you try and bake it, you’ll end up with a crumbly mess.
- How do you store edible sugar cookie dough? Place the balls in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator.
- How long does raw cookie dough last? Edible cookie dough will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator. Just keep it in an airtight container.
- Can you omit the vanilla or almond extract? Yes, you can leave one or both out if you prefer. Or, you can substitute your favorite extract. These edible sugar cookie bites are hard to resist! I usually hide them in the back of the fridge, so I’m not tempted every time I open the door, but it doesn’t always work. If I know they’re in there, I’m going to find them. Give them a try, and you’ll see what I mean – Enjoy!
More Cookie Dough Recipes You’ll Love
- Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
- Easy Recipes That Start With Cookie Dough
- Cookie Dough Fondue
- How to Make Baked Flour
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough Recipe
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup (124g) all-purpose flour (see note)
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles or other mix-ins
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Mix in both extracts and milk, then slowly mix in flour until smooth and combined.
- Mix in sprinkles or other add-ins.
- Serve scooped like ice cream or eat it with a spoon. You can also roll it into balls or press it into an 8×8-inch pan to make squares.
- Store covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
• Feel free to skip the sprinkles and add ½ cup M&Ms, chocolate chips or any other candy or mix-in you like.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Edible Sugar Cookie dough is an easy sugar cookie dough recipe without eggs and with cooked flour so it’s safe to eat raw – add sprinkles or candy for the perfect edible cookie dough without brown sugar!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: April 29, 2021