Chocolate Chip Cookie Magic Bars
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
When you need a gooey, magical chocolate dessert…this is IT.
How do you handle stress? I handle stress really well: I drink.
Just kidding. You all know me better than that!
When I’m stressed, I eat all the chocolate.
What is it about stress that makes you just want to eat all the things? I talk to some people and they say, “Ohmigosh, that period of my life was so stressful. I lost 10 pounds!” and I think, wow, I cannot be friends with that person.
(Kidding, obviously. #sarcasm #sortof #teachmeyoursecrets)
If you’re in that moment today where you NEED CHOCOLATE or hey, maybe it’s just a random Tuesday for you and you WANT chocolate, these Chocolate Chip Cookie Magic Bars are just the thing you need.
Have you ever made magic bars? They’re also sometimes called Seven Layer Bars (because the original recipe has seven magical layers). I call them magic bars because I don’t always use 7 toppings and once a reader called me out.
(Yes, I have people that read this blog that actually do that. But that’s a whole other post.)
Magic bars have a crust of some sort, then they’re topped with things like chocolate chips, nuts, coconut, and/or candy, and then that is all topped with sweetened condensed milk.
I think God gave us sweetened condensed milk to make up for beets. #justsaying
I have other magic bar versions on this site: oatmeal cookie, pumpkin, brownie, candy corn, samoa. I’ve even turned the concept into pie. You could say I love magic bars. I also love chocolate chip cookies. It’s a food marriage made in Dorothy heaven.
Let’s break down the recipe!
The crust is chocolate chip cookie dough. I used a prepared refrigerated dough (like Pillsbury). It’s fast, easy, and I had some left over from a chocolate chip cookie emergency. You can use any brand you like, or any mix you like, or you can even use this recipe if you want it from scratch.
My magical layers include chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, toffee, and pecans. This is where you can get really creative with the recipe. Use your favorite chips: chocolate, white, peanut butter, butterscotch. Use your favorite chopped up candy: M&Ms, peanut butter cups, Kit Kats. Use your favorite nuts: peanuts, pecans, walnuts. Add coconut or leave out the toffee. Use whatever layers you like!
Then pour sweetened condensed milk all over the top and bake them. And then you’ll be convinced these bars come from the heavens.
five one will reduce your stress. Not that I’d know or anything… 😉
Chocolate Chip Cookie Magic Bars
- 8.25 ounces of prepared chocolate chip cookie dough — such as Pillsbury (half of a 16.5 oz tube), see note
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup semi sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup toffee bits
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts — I used pecans
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9” square pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Press the cookie dough into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle all chocolate chips, toffee bits, and nuts evenly over cookie dough crust. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top.
- Bake for 24-27 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the center looks somewhat firm. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze in a single layer for up to 1 month.