This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
If you’re a chocolate lover like I am you’re going to LOVE these DOUBLE Chocolate Chip Cookies! I turned my most popular recipe for chocolate chip cookies into a chocolate cookie with chocolate chips! Every time I make these for a party they disappear fast; you’ll be a cookie hero with your family whenever you make them.
Table of Contents
BEST Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Cookies are just so easy to make, store, gift and eat. I love all sorts of cookie flavors, but chocolate chip is one of my favorites. Really, these Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are my most favorite – they’re better than Subway – because they have all the chocolate in them!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s a cookie with double the chocolate! I really didn’t know what to call these: are they double chocolate cookies or chocolate chocolate chip cookies? So many names, one fact: DELICIOUS.
- Because I use melted butter you can stir these in a large bowl by hand or use a stand mixer!
- By just making a simple change in my best chocolate chip cookie recipe, I was able to turn these cookies into an extra chocolatey chewy cookie recipe!
Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
DOUBLE Chocolate ChipCookie Bars for the win! The next time that you’re craving cookie squares that are easy and homemade, look no further than this magical recipe. It just might be the best way to curb those chocolate cravings! Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars It’s true what they say about chocolate: It can make any…
- Butter: Start with melted butter – this makes it mix up easier! I know most cookies start with room temperature butter but my best recipes use melted.
- Sugar: Both granulated sugar and light brown sugar are used – be sure to pack your brown sugar.
- Cocoa Powder: You can use regular unsweetened cocoa powder, special dark, or Dutch process.
- Egg: The yolk adds chew and moisture from the fat, the white adds structure.
- Flour, Salt, Baking Soda: Typical for cookies. Be sure to measure your flour correctly.
- Chocolate Chips: Use your favorite brand! Trader Joe’s are my favorite brand of chocolate chip.
How do you make Double Chocolate Chip Cookies?
- Stir melted butter with both sugars in a large bowl – no mixer needed!
- Stir in egg, vanilla, baking soda, salt and cocoa.
- Add flour and stir until thick, then mix in chocolate chips.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon sized cookie dough balls and place on a cookie sheet – chill at least 30 minutes.
- Spread cookies onto 2 cookie sheets and bake 11-15 minutes.
There is a sweet spot for chilling the dough. You can chill it as long as you want but you can’t bake them right away if they’ve been chilled too long. I like chilling cookie dough balls about 1 hour. Longer than that, let them sit at room temperature for a few minutes, or press the tops down with the palm of your hand a bit before baking. If you notice partway through baking that your cookies are thick and not spreading, just push them down a bit with the palm of your hand.
So many things make cookies more chewy! If you prefer a chewier cookie you can add an egg yolk or a tablespoon or two of corn syrup.
Store cookies in an airtight bag for up to 3 days.
You can also FREEZE them for up to a month or freeze the dough balls (before baking) for easy cookies anytime.
Add chocolate chips after baking! That’s right: as soon as they come out of the oven, add a few chocolate chips on top. They’ll melt and make them extra chocolatey, gooey and look perfect.
Cookies are better just a bit underdone and gooey. As soon as they aren’t glossy, they’re done.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (67g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (20g) unsweetened cocoa powder not dutch process
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cups (165g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (255g) chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk)
- Note: This dough requires chilling.
- Place melted butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl if using a hand mixer). You can also just use a wooden spoon to mix these! Add granulated and brown sugars and mix on low speed until the mixture is smooth. Mix in egg and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Mix in cocoa, baking soda, and salt, then slowly mix in flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing. Slowly mix in chocolate chips.
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Scoop 2 tablespoon balls of dough onto the cookie sheet. Spacing doesn’t matter because you will be chilling the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a second cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Remove the chilled cookie dough balls from the refrigerator and space them 2-inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake (2 tablespoon sized cookies) for 11-15 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden and the tops are no longer glossy. Let cool on the cookie sheets at least 10 minutes before removing.
- For the gooey chocolate chip look, top the just baked cookies with a few chocolate chips!
- Baking tip: be sure to rotate your pans partway through baking for best results. If you have two pans in the oven switch them, and rotate them 180°.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best chocolate chip cookies with cocoa powder for an extra chocolatey cookie! These easy cookies are SO good everyone loves making them – with extra chocolate chips!
Last Updated on May 6, 2023