This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Cheesecake Brownies are the perfect homemade dessert – both the brownie portion and the cheesecake portion are made from scratch!
One bite of this cheesecake brownies recipe will give your sweet tooth the perfect treat – rich and fudgy chocolate brownies and creamy cheesecake all in one!
Table of Contents
BEST Cheesecake Brownies – Homemade!
The moment that the thought of cheesecake with brownies enters your mind, it’s all over from there. Brownie cheesecake is a melt-in-your-mouth texture with the perfect brownie crust.
We’ve made so many cream cheese brownies from this recipe that I literally can’t even keep count. If you’re ready to fall in love with a flavorful treat, this is the one for you.
Ingredients in Cheesecake Brownies
- Unsweetened baking chocolate – Chop it up coarsely for the recipe.
- Unsalted butter – You can substitute salted, but reduce salt in the recipe to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Granulated sugar – The main sweetener!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Use natural unsweetened or Dutch process.
- Eggs – Be sure to buy large eggs. Eggs give the brownies structure and keep them nice and gooey.
- Vanilla extract – Pure vanilla extract is the best!
- Salt – Reduce salt if you use salted butter.
- All-purpose flour – If you’re worried about lumps, sift the flour before using it.
- Cream cheese – Make sure it’s at room temperature. Only use full fat!
- Sour cream – Make sure it’s at room temperature. Full fat or low fat, but not fat free.
- Eggs – Make sure they are at room temperature.
- Granulated sugar – Adds a hint of sweetness.
- Vanilla extract – For flavor.
How to make Cheesecake Brownies
- Make the cheesecake mixture: Beat the sour cream and cream cheese until it is smooth. Then add in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla and beat together.
- Make the brownies: Add the butter and chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Stir between each time and do this until the two ingredients are melted. Stir the cocoa and the sugar into the melted mixture. Then stir in the vanilla and eggs, followed by the salt. The mixture will look a bit grainy – and that’s fine.
- Slowly stir in the flour until a nice thick mixture forms.
- Add the batter: Once the brownie batter is made, add it to the pan.
- Add cheesecake topping: Pour the cheesecake mixture over the top of the brownies and use a knife to make swirls in it.
- Bake the dessert: Put the pan in the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes total time. Let it cool at room temperature, and then chill in the fridge for 4 hours before cutting into it.
Storing and Freezing Cheesecake Brownies
How to store brownies: Just add them to an airtight container and keep them cool in the fridge. They should stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze cheesecake brownies? If you want to freeze this brownie cheesecake recipe, just add the leftovers to a freezer-safe bag or container and store them for up to 3 months.
- To make the perfect cheesecake brownie bars, it’s extremely important that you have the sour cream, cream cheese, and eggs at room temperature. This helps there not be any lumps in the creamy mixture.
- I always bake my recipes with foil lining the pan, but you can also line the pan with parchment paper.
Adding more fats to these brownie cheesecake bars will help them have a fudgy texture. You can up the butter or even the chocolate to get this result. This is the best way to get fudgy cheesecake brownies.
Yes, you can add brownies to the freezer. As long as you seal them in a freezer-safe container, they’ll last for up to 3 months.
Yes, due to the dairy ingredients in the brownies, they do need to be kept in the fridge. Just add a lid and keep them chilled.
The swirled look in brownies has to be done before baking them. Just use a butter knife and place it into the two layers of mixtures. Slightly swirl it around.
If you don’t set out certain ingredients (mentioned in the recipe card) at room temperature, it will cause the texture of the cheesecake to be lumpy.
To make sure that the brownies are done baking, look at the top of the brownies. The top should no longer be shiny looking, and the edges should be pulled away from the sides of the pan.
- 4 ounces (113g) unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter
- 1 ¾ cups (350g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (10g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (124g) all-purpose flour
- 16 ounces (452g) cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup (123g) sour cream, room temperature
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9-inch square pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Make the brownies
- Place chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high power in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until chocolate and butter are melted and smooth (about 2 minutes, depending on your microwave).
- Stir sugar and cocoa into chocolate and butter mixture using a spatula or wooden spoon. Stir in 3 eggs and vanilla, then stir in salt. Mixture will be grainy looking but smooth. Stir in flour carefully.
- Spread brownies in prepared pan and set aside.
Make the cheesecake
- Beat cream cheese with sour cream until smooth, then beat in 2 eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Pour mixture over the top of the brownies in pan. Use a butter knife or a long skewer to swirl the brownies.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until slightly puffed and no longer glossy (will be light golden around the edges of the foil). Cool completely at room temperature then chill for at least 4 hours before slicing and serving.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 3 months.
Other favorite brownie recipes:
BEST Cheesecake Brownies have a thick fudgy brownie with a creamy cheesecake and brownie swirl – completely homemade brownie cheesecake recipe!
Last Updated on January 12, 2023