This Pumpkin Bundt Cake starts with a cake mix that is amped up with delicious brown butter. It has an amazing brown butter glaze to finish it making it the best fall dessert! Soft, moist, and so easy to make this is sure to become your favorite go-to fall cake recipe.
Everyone needs an epic pumpkin cake recipe and this one is mine and now it can be yours, too! It’s so easy to make and has the most amazing flavor from brown butter that is in the cake AND in the glaze. Brown butter, if you don’t already know, is one of my favorite things.
I’ve made this recipe so many times it’s basically become a tradition every fall. Once those first hints of autumn are in the air, I start getting requests for this bundt cake! What I love is that it’s a pumpkin cake with cake mix. A little secret that makes life so much easier! I love doctoring cake mixes and this is definitely a favorite.
Brown Butter Pumpkin Cake > regular Pumpkin Cake!
Table of Contents
What is Brown Butter?
If you’ve never browned butter before just know it’s really very easy. I, being the baking nerd that I am, wrote a whole tutorial about how to brown butter, but I share all the steps in this recipe, too!
You can use it in so many ways from savory to sweet recipes and it gives what ever you add it to a complex nutty and caramelized flavor. Brown butter is just butter that is cooked until turns golden, which only takes a few minutes.
The aroma is amazing and it just adds a kick of buttery rich flavor to cakes, pies, cookies… pretty much anything! Especially in this pumpkin bundt cake. Pumpkin + Brown Butter? Epic.
Easy Cake Mix Pumpkin Cake
The best part about this brown butter pumpkin cake is that we get to use cake mix so the risk factor is very low. No worries about the cake not turning out right – it always does. It’s practically fail-proof! And I should know because I’ve made it more times that I can count!
Pumpkin, spices, and brown butter combine to make a wonderfully thick cake batter that bakes up perfectly rich and moist. Add the brown butter glaze and it just screams fall.
- Brown butter (details are in the recipe card!)
- Yellow cake mix
- Pumpkin puree
- Granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream or milk
How to Make a Pumpkin Bundt Cake
You will need a 12-cup bundt pan for this cake. Prepare the pan by spraying it with baking spray that has flour in it. This will ensure the cake releases cleanly from the pan.
Combine the brown butter, cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, granulated sugar and all of the spices in a large mixing bowl. Mix until the batter is smooth – it will be thick.
Transfer the batter to your prepared pan and bake the cake for 35 to 38 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan before removing it.
Brown Butter Glaze
Combine brown butter with powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add the whipping cream one tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches your desired thickness. If you add to much you can always add a little more sugar to thicken it.
Drizzle the glaze over the cooled pumpkin spice bundt cake. Slice, serve, and devour!
Leftover cake will keep for up to three days at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Just keep it loosely covered with plastic wrap.
Make this Epic Pumpkin Cake All Fall!
This pumpkin bundt cake is perfect for fall holidays, potlucks, parties… I might have even had a slice for breakfast a couple of times, but don’t tell anyone! No one will ever guess it was made with cake mix – it tastes like a pumpkin cake from scratch, but without all of the hard work. The brown butter flavor really makes it! I hope you give it a try!
Other Pumpkin Recipes to try
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Brown Butter Pumpkin Bundt Cake Recipe
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 15 oz can of pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray (the kind with flour in it).
- Place the butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Melt, then stir often, cooking until the butter browns. This will take 5-7 minutes or so. Stir often. The butter will foam, then reduce. Once it starts to turn brown it burns quickly so be sure and watch it. Remove from heat.
- Measure out ⅓ cup of the browned butter. Reserve the rest for the glaze. Place the ⅓ cup brown butter with the cake mix, pumpkin puree, eggs, granulated sugar, and cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice in a large bowl. Mix with a hand mixer until smooth. The batter is thick.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35-38 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before removing from pan and glazing.
- To make the glaze: Place reserved brown butter in a bowl. If it has solidified, heat it in the microwave for a few seconds until it becomes liquid again. Whisk in powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add heavy whipping cream 1 tablespoon at a time until you get the desired consistency. (I used 4 tablespoons.) Drizzle over cake.
- Store loosely covered on the counter or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
This Brown Butter Pumpkin Bundt Cake is FULL of the best flavors! A soft, moist, and EASY pumpkin cake is filled with brown butter and topped with a brown butter frosting!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: September 30, 2020