This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This easy black bean soup recipe is made with fresh peppers and corn and couldn’t be easier to make! It’s a cozy and comforting soup that is ready to serve in 30 minutes. It’s the best way to warm up on a cold day!
Table of Contents
30 Minute Black Bean Soup
When I make soup for dinner, I want a hearty and filling one especially when it’s chilly out. This black bean soup recipe is one of my favorites to make because it’s easy, full of fresh flavors, and is ready to go in less than an hour. Add a simple salad and crusty french bread on the side for a complete dinner that doesn’t take forever to make.
What I love best about this easy soup recipe is that you don’t have to make it using dried black beans. Instead, we’re using canned black beans – it makes it so much easier. No soaking, no simmering for hours, and no worries that the beans will be crunchy. All the guess work is taken out and you get a quick and easy black bean soup that tastes like it cooked all day.
- Vegetables: Onion, Garlic, Jalapeno, Peppers – be sure to finely chop them! Personally I like a smoother soup, so the smaller the better.
- 2 cans Black Beans: You don’t need to drain them – their liquid is going to help thicken the soup.
- Chicken Broth or Chicken Stock: Use a good quality stock. You can also use vegetable stock for a vegetarian recipe. I prefer low sodium chicken broth.
How to make Black Bean Soup
- Sauté the vegetables with the oil in a large pot until they’ve softened.
- Add the beans, seasonings and stock, cover and cook it all together for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the corn and once it’s warmed through the soup is ready to serve!
Storing and Make Ahead Instructions
This soup is a great make-ahead recipe and keeps well for a few days in the refrigerator. In fact, allowing it to sit overnight just develops the flavors further so it’s even better the next day. Make it ahead and you have easy dinners and lunches for the week!
You can also freeze the soup in airtight containers. To reheat, I like to thaw it in the refrigerator and then simmer it on the stove to warm it up.
- Make Spicy Black Bean Soup by upping the spices – add some red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper, and use some of the seeds from the jalapeno.
- Make this in the slow cooker by sauteeing all the vegetables on the stove as directed, then dumping all the ingredients into your crockpot and cooking on low for 6-8 hours.
Garlic, onion, and cumin are a must, along with salt and pepper. You can also add smoked chili powder and cayenne for heat.
This soup is gluten free as long as the beans you buy do not include gluten in their liquid.
Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans 15 ounces each black beans
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Place a 3 quart pan or stock pot over medium heat. Add the oil and heat.
- Add the onion, red pepper, and jalapeno to the pan. Cook until they start to soften, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the black beans with their liquid, the salt, pepper cumin and stock. Stir and cover. Bring to a boil and cook 15-20 minutes or until flavors are combined. Stir in corn and cook just until the corn is heated through.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with cilantro.
Easy Black Bean Soup is a 30 minute meal! This easy soup recipe is full of flavor and the perfect meal for a cold day. Black beans make a vegetarian soup the perfect dinner!
Last Updated on February 15, 2023