This Mexican Chicken Soup recipe is an easy and healthy dinner you can make in about 30 minutes. It’s made with tomatoes, corn, onion, cilantro, salsa and shredded chicken – top it with tortilla chips, sour cream, and cheese for a light but filling meal!
The BEST part about this soup is that it is great for using up leftover chicken – or add it to your meal prep dinner rotation! AND it’s a Weight Watcher approved 30 minute meal.
I love soup especially when it’s cold! I also love a bowl with all the toppings and this healthy Mexican Chicken Soup is one of my favorites to make.
At our house we call it salsa soup because salsa is one of the main ingredients. Salsa is such a great short-cut because it adds a ton of flavor and you don’t have to do anything but open a jar.
It’s light but loaded with flavor and you can garnish it with all of your favorite toppings. I love tortilla chips for crunch, a dollop of sour cream and, of course, a sprinkling of shredded cheese.
Table of Contents
This chicken soup with salsa is very deceiving – it’s hearty and filling, but it’s so light. If you’re on Weight Watchers it’s only 1 smart point. One point! If you don’t know what Weight Watchers is all you need to know that it’s a healthy and a good choice if you’re trying to cut back on the calories.
It’s so light from all the 0-point ingredients – corn, chicken, onion and tomatoes are all freebies. I love it because I can add my toppings and not feel like I’m going overboard.
- Olive oil
- Chopped onion
- Minced garlic
- Ground cumin
- Reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Frozen corn
- Fat free salsa
- Shredded cooked chicken
- Chopped cilantro
I love this recipe because I usually have all of the ingredients on hand. We eat a lot of chicken and there’s always leftovers in the refrigerator. This is a great way to use them up. Or, you can pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store.
- Cook the onion and garlic with the olive oil in a large non-stick pan until the onion is softened. Add the cumin and stir.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, and salsa. Bring it to a boil and then lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer it for about 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded to chicken and simmer it in the broth for a few minutes until it’s heated up. Add the cilantro and stir.
It doesn’t get any easier than three steps! I love a 30-minute soup and this is one of my favorites.
Just like tacos, you can top your bowl with all of your favorite garnishes – here are some of our favorites:
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey jack cheese (or both!)
- Chopped cilantro
- A squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Diced avocado
If you add toppings it will increase the Weight Watchers points, so just FYI. The soup itself is so light you can definitely add some garnishes and still have a healthy, light dinner.
It adds more time, but you can cook the chicken first before you make the soup.
- In the same pan you plan to make the soup, cook the chicken in some olive oil until it’s browned and cooked through. This will take about 10 minutes depending on how thick your chicken breasts are.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let it cool. Go ahead, at this point, and start making the soup. All of the flavor left behind by the chicken will just give your broth more flavor.
- Once it’s cool enough to handle, shred or cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
I’ve also included these instructions in the recipe card.
Salsa soup, WW soup, or Mexican chicken soup – whatever you want to call it, it’s a cozy dinner or lunch full of fresh flavors and a light and healthy way to warm up when it’s cold. Make a batch and lay out all the toppings for everyone to choose from – I know your family will love it.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 ounce bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup fat free salsa
- 1/2 pound cooked shredded chicken see note
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro optional
- Sour cream Shredded cheddar cheese and/or tortilla chips, for serving, optional
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook 1 minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, corn, and salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken to the pan; heat through. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro if using.
- Serve the soup with sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips as desired.
To cook with raw chicken: In step 1, heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate; set aside, then continue with onion and garlic.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
This is our favorite soup recipe – Mexican Chicken Soup! It’s an easy 30 minute meal that’s weight watchers approved – this healthy mexican soup is a chicken soup with salsa – and it’s SO easy to make and so tasty.
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: February 18, 2020