This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This Chicken Salsa Soup recipe is an easy and healthy dinner you can make in about 30 minutes. The BEST part about this soup is that it is great for using up leftover chicken – or add it to your meal prep dinner rotation! This soup is also weight watchers and macro approved!
Table of Contents
- 30 Minute Salsa Soup Recipe
- Weight Watchers Chicken Soup
- Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Mexican Chicken Soup
- Use Leftover Chicken to Make it Easy
- How to Make Easy Mexican Chicken WW Soup
- What if I don’t Have Leftover Chicken?
- Don’t Forget the Toppings!
- Macro Friendly Mexican Chicken Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe Recipe
- Other weight watcher recipes:
30 Minute Salsa Soup Recipe
I love soup especially when it’s cold! I also love a bowl with all the toppings and this healthy Mexican Chicken Soup is one of my favorites to make.
At our house we call it salsa soup because salsa is one of the main ingredients. Salsa is such a great short-cut because it adds a ton of flavor and you don’t have to do anything but open a jar.
It’s light but loaded with flavor and you can garnish it with all of your favorite toppings. I love tortilla chips for crunch, a dollop of sour cream and, of course, a sprinkling of shredded cheese.
Weight Watchers Chicken Soup
This chicken soup with salsa is very deceiving – it’s hearty and filling, but it’s so light. If you’re on Weight Watchers it’s only 7 smart points or 5 Points Plus.
Making WW Taco Soup with chicken is easy and fast – this is a 30 minute soup recipe – and great for using leftover chicken. It’ll warm you up and make you feel good from the inside out!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Mexican Chicken Soup
- Olive oil
- Chopped onion
- Minced garlic
- Ground cumin
- Reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Frozen corn
- Fat free salsa
- Shredded cooked chicken – I love using leftover chicken or grabbing a rotisserie chicken at the store.
- Chopped cilantro
Use Leftover Chicken to Make it Easy
I love this recipe because I usually have all of the ingredients on hand. We eat a lot of chicken and there’s always leftovers in the refrigerator. This is a great way to use them up. Or, you can pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store.
How to Make Easy Mexican Chicken WW Soup
- Cook the onion and garlic with the olive oil in a large non-stick pan until the onion is softened. Add the cumin and stir.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, and salsa. Bring it to a boil and then lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer it for about 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded to chicken and simmer it in the broth for a few minutes until it’s heated up.
- Add the cilantro and stir.
It doesn’t get any easier than three steps! I love a 30-minute soup and this is one of my favorites.
What if I don’t Have Leftover Chicken?
It adds more time, but you can cook the chicken first before you make the soup.
- In the same pan you plan to make the soup, cook the chicken in some olive oil until it’s browned and cooked through. This will take about 10 minutes depending on how thick your chicken breasts are.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let it cool. Go ahead, at this point, and start making the soup. All of the flavor left behind by the chicken will just give your broth more flavor.
- Once it’s cool enough to handle, shred or cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
I’ve also included these instructions in the recipe card.
Macro Friendly Mexican Chicken Soup
If you count macros instead of doing WW, then this soup is also great for you!
The macros per serving of this soup (4 total servings in the pot): 222 Calories 22C 4F 16P
You can lower the carbs by reducing or omitting the corn!
Make soup! Adding leftover or homemade salsa to a recipe like this adds SO much flavor.
Yes you can start with raw chicken, but you’ll need to sauté it first before starting making the actual soup. Dice it bite size, then brown it on all sides and remove it from the pan. Cook the soup as directed.
This soup gets more flavorful as it sits – store it in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Simply add strips of tortilla chips into the soup before serving.
Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 ounce bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup fat free salsa
- ½ pound cooked shredded chicken see note
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro optional
- Sour cream Shredded cheddar cheese and/or tortilla chips, for serving, optional
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook 1 minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, corn, and salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken to the pan; heat through. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro if using.
- Serve the soup with sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips as desired.
To cook with raw chicken: In step 1, heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate; set aside, then continue with onion and garlic.
Other weight watcher recipes:
This is our favorite soup recipe – Mexican Chicken Soup! It’s an easy 30 minute meal that’s weight watchers approved – this healthy mexican soup is a chicken soup with salsa – and it’s SO easy to make and so tasty.
Last Updated on January 17, 2023