This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This is the BEST No Bake Chocolate Cream Pie recipe! An Oreo crust is filled with a thick eggless chocolate filling and topped with whipped cream. This pie is a hit every time I make it – and it’s really the perfect chocolate pie.
I’ve gotta say, Chocolate Cream Pie is one of my weaknesses. It’s rich and silky and creamy and bite after bite goes down SO easily. Good luck just having one slice!
Ever since my first blogging pi day, I’ve looked forward to March 14 every year so I can post a new pie in tribute. I think and think and plan and wonder: what should I make for pi day this year? WWAD: what would Albert (Einstein) do?
In the past I’ve made Twix Pie, Peanut Butter Chocolate Cream Pie, Coconut Kiss Brownie Pies, Carrot Cake Pie, a Candy Bar Brownie Pie, and this NO BAKE Chocolate Cream Pie is a perfect addition to that list.
I gotta say, I think no-bake pies are my favorite and this chocolate cream version is in my Top 5 pies of all time.
With the rich chocolate filling and Oreo cookie crust, this pie is like a cream pie married a French Silk Pie, but it’s eggless, easy, and takes about 10 minutes to make.
Just look at that filling…it’s dreamy isn’t it? I literally could have shoved my face in it but I was way more civilized: I ate it with a fork straight from the pan. Who needs to dirty a plate?
Table of Contents
Eggless French Silk
When I decided on making this chocolate cream pie for pi day, I wanted to improve upon a traditional French Silk in two ways:
- I wanted it to be no-bake, hence the Oreo crust, and
- I wanted to make a filling without eggs.
If you look at traditional silk recipes, you cook the eggs and sugar until it coats the back of a spoon, but that just really scares me. Growing up, I had the threat of salmonella drummed into my head repeatedly so just cooking eggs in that way isn’t something I’m in love with doing. Also: I tend to over cook them and they scramble. #EW
THIS Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe is the best of both worlds: it tastes akin to French Silk but is easy to make with no strange ingredients. It comes together in minutes – without pudding mix!
Ingredients for this easy pie
Did I mention it only has 6 ingredients (7, if you’re making your crust from scratch). And it only takes about 10 minutes to put together?
- Baking Chocolate
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Powdered Sugar
Crust: This recipe starts with my Oreo Crust. Feel free to use one you buy at the store, or make mine. Or, if you want a pastry crust, pre-bake my all butter crust recipe and use it instead.
Baking Chocolate: I use unsweetened in this pie but in a pinch you can use semi-sweet. Baking chocolate is sold in the baking aisle, usually near the top shelf, and comes in bars.
Sweetened Condensed Milk: This is what is used to sweetened and help thicken the pie. When mixed with the baking chocolate it makes a rich fudge-like mixture. Be sure to use REGULAR Sweetened Condensed Milk NOT low-fat or fat-free.
Heavy Whipping Cream: We use that, along with the powdered sugar and vanilla, to make whipped cream. Make sure to whip it to stiff peaks.
Tips for Assembling the pie
- Make sure you mix the melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk before making the whipped cream. This allows the chocolate mixture to cool. Otherwise, wait at least 5 minutes before folding in the whipped cream.
- Make sure to only use half the whipped cream for the filling. The other half is for the topping.
- FOLD the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. DO NOT STIR. Watch the video for tips on how to fold in the thick chocolate mixture. It will seem like it won’t mix in but it will.
- For garnish, you can dust it with cocoa or add chocolate shavings or curls.
This No Bake Chocolate Cream Pie with Oreo crust was too hard to resist! The thick chocolate layer and fresh whipped cream makes this the perfect pie to serve when you’re craving chocolate!
FAQ about this pie
Read through the post to see tips and tricks but here are the possible reasons your pie didn’t set: 1. Did you use fat-free sweetened condensed milk? 2. Did you use HEAVY whipping cream and whip it to STIFF peaks? 3. Did you only use half the whipped cream in the filling? 4. Did you FOLD the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture carefully? 5. Did you let the chocolate mixture cool while making the whipped cream?
Chances are the chocolate was too hot or you didn’t fold properly. Watch the video for tips on folding the mixture.
Store it loosely covered in the refrigerator.
Yes. Use one 8-ounce container in the filling and a second container for topping (probably won’t need the entire container for the topping). Again: be sure to FOLD it into the chocolate mixture.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
No Bake Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 9-inch Oreo Crust (or store bought)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, plus more for topping 113g
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk 396g
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream 474ml
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar 29g
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 5ml
- Chop chocolate and place in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Heat on 50% power in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth.
- Stir sweetened condensed milk into chocolate. Set aside. Doing this before making the whipped cream ensures the chocolate cools enough. Otherwise, let it sit about 5-10 minutes before using.
- Place heavy whipping cream in the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl if using a hand mixer). Beat until stiff peaks (whipped cream) forms, slowly adding powdered sugar and vanilla during mixing.
- Carefully FOLD half of the whipped cream mixture into the chocolate mixture. Do not stir or you will break the whipped cream. Place in prepared pan. Top with remaining whipped cream. Shave extra chocolate on top, for garnish, optional.
- Chill pie at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
Troubleshooting tipsThe pie SHOULD set just fine. If it doesn’t, here are some possible reasons why:
- Did you use low-fat or fat-free sweetened condensed milk? That will affect the recipe; use regular only.
- Did you whip your heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks? Did you use HEAVY whipping cream as the recipe calls for? (They sell heavy whipping cream and whipping cream at the store; it’s confusing, so buy the correct one.)
- If you stir the chocolate into the sweetened condensed milk and then make the whipped cream it should be cool enough. If it’s hot to the touch still you should wait until it cools.
- Did you fold the chocolate into the whipped cream carefully? Do NOT stir or beat – fold it slowly. If you stir it too fast it will break the whipped cream.
- Make sure to only use HALF the whipped cream in the filling; the other half is for topping.
Do you like the pie plate I used? I have to share: it’s such a pretty and versatile one. It came from Barn Light Electric and is the enamelware pie plate. The pie sliced easy and popped right out, plus they come in pretty colors. Full disclosure: they sent me a pie plate so I could send them some photos of my pie for their site, but didn’t pay me or even ask for a link to them. I just really love the plates and plan to buy several more!
Check out the The Complete List of No Bake Pies!
Other Pies I love:
Celebrating Pi Day? How about these pies: a No Bake Nutella Pie that looks like heaven, a No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake Pie for you cheesecake lovers, or my favorite, Julianne’s No Bake Key Lime Mousse Pie!
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
This Chocolate Cream Pie is completely no bake and egg free! The thick rich chocolate filling has an Oreo crust and a homemade whipped cream topping. It’s the BEST chocolate pie recipe!
Last Updated on February 2, 2023
This recipe is a favorite every year for Thanksgiving! I just tried a Christmas variation- mint Oreos for the crust, peppermint extract instead of vanilla, and crushed candy canes on top. Delicious as always! Thanks for a great recipe.
Yummy 😋 thank you going too make this!!🥧