Aug 04

Homemade Dulce de Leche Coffee Creamer

Remember that time I made Homemade Dulce de Leche? Well, I had 3 jars in my fridge that needed using. One, I ate with a spoon. One went into this pie.

The third? Became DIY Homemade Coffee Creamer!

Dulce de Leche Coffee Creamer - only 2 ingredients!

I have a physical next week. The anticipation is making me remember how much I really hate going to the doctor. Does anyone actually enjoy it? In the first place, they weigh you, and I have a problem with that. And when you’re a germophobe/partial hypochondriac, the doctors tend to look at you like you’re crazy.

{Which you totally are, but whatever.}

I think the internet has made it worse for us partial hypochondriacs, don’t you think? WebMD is probably a real doctor’s nightmare. But sometimes I actually know what I’m talking about at the doctor, but they still give me that I know you’re a partial hypochondriac look.

Actual conversation I’ve had with doctors:

Dr.: Why are you here today?
Me: I have an ear infection.

Dr.: Have you had a fever?
Me: No.

Dr.: Have you had a cold?
Me: No.

Dr.: [Partial hypochondriac look on face] hmmmm….
Me: Well, I went swimming and normally I don’t put my head under water but I did even though I knew better that I totally shouldn’t have and now I have an ear infection. It’s not swimmer’s ear, it’s a real one.

Dr.: Well, you can’t get an ear infection like that from swimming.
Me: Okay, well, I’ve had ear problems all my life. You not supposed to, you know, be able to feel your eardrum. I think normal people without ear infections or fluid actually just go through life not knowing what their eardrum feels like, so I’m pretty sure it’s infected.

Dr.: [look on face gets deeper] hmmmm…Let’s take a look.

[Doctor looks in good ear.]

Dr.: WOW. You have a lot of scarring. Have you had ear trouble before?
Me: Yes. LIKE I SAID. I know what I’m talking about.

[Doctor looks in bad ear.]

Dr.: WOW! I’m sure that sucker hurts. That’s the worst ear infection I’ve ever seen!

See? Even partial hypochondriacs know what they’re talking about DOCTORS. (That convo? Has happened at least 3 times in my life with different doctors, FYI.)

This has nothing to do with coffee creamer, other than I love coffee and I probably shouldn’t drink so much of it.

But my husband and kid would rather I did. The non-caffeinated version of Dorothy is not one they like to deal with.

Enter: homemade coffee creamer. Like, the best thing ever. Especially with Dulce de Leche!

Dulce de Leche Coffee Creamer - only 2 ingredients!

So you remember when I made homemade dulce de leche, right? Y’all loved that I made it in a slow cooker. When I was trying to figure out what to make with it, I remembered my funfetti coffee creamer and the lightbulb went on.

I’m a girl that loves her coffee creamer. I love it in coffee, I love it in dessert. And I really love making it homemade because I can make flavors I can’t buy in the store.

Did you know that coffee creamer is super easy to make? Really, it only has two base ingredients: sweetened condensed milk and milk. Then you add your favorite extracts or flavorings.

But, with 3 jars of dulce de leche staring at me from my refrigerator, I remembered that it can be substituted for SCM in lots of things – like ice cream.

Basically this recipe has two ingredients: dulce de leche (canned or homemade) and milk. The result is a liquid that’s wonderfully sweet and has rich caramel undertones. It’s great in milkshakes, in hot chocolate, and in coffee.

Since it’s still a bajillion degrees, I made iced coffee. But you can use it in hot if you like too!

Dulce de Leche Coffee Creamer

Just give me an IV of coffee with dulce de leche coffee creamer and a direct link to WebMD and I can be kept happy for hours. Until I find a symptom of mine…then I won’t be happy anymore. :)

Dulce de Leche Coffee Creamer

Ingredients:

Directions:

• Place both ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium low heat, whisking, until smooth and melted together.
  • Transfer coffee creamer to a jar and let cool before covering and storing in refrigerator. Serve in hot or iced coffee!

Notes:

Add some cinnamon for a yummy kick of flavor!

DIY Dulce de Leche

DIY Dulce de Leche (8 of 8)w

Funfetti Coffee Creamer

Funfetti Coffee Creamer (1 of 5)w

Banana Bread Coffee Cake

banana coffee cake (1 of 3)

Peanut Butter Coffee Cake

peanut-butter-coffee-cake (4 of 5)w

Pumpkin Coffee Creamer by Shugary Sweets
Homemade Coffee Creamers by Around my Family Table
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie by Something Swanky

53 Responses to “Homemade Dulce de Leche Coffee Creamer”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on August 4, 2014 at 3:09 am (#)

This looks awesome. I like a little coffee with my creamer :) I’d love this! Pinned of course. And best of luck at your physical and not stressing out too badly before next week!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 7:28 am

Thank you Averie!!

2. Mir posted on August 4, 2014 at 4:13 am (#)

Love the creamer, but love your talk with the doc even more. He wasn’t listening, was he? Shocker that you’d know your own body better than he does!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 7:28 am

RIGHT? So annoying. Thanks Mir!

3. Danielle @ Chits and Chats and Chocolate posted on August 4, 2014 at 4:54 am (#)

Gosh,, that looks good. I’ve never thought to make coffee creamer myself. This would make a good hostess gift!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 7:27 am

Totally!! Thanks Danielle!

4. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on August 4, 2014 at 5:25 am (#)

I hate going to the doctor, too. And I’ve had ear problems all my life, so I completely understand what you’re talking about! This creamer sounds amazing, Dorothy! Will definitely have to try it out.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 7:27 am

Thanks Gayle!

5. Becca from It's Yummi! posted on August 4, 2014 at 6:45 am (#)

You mean I don’t have to pay Starbucks obscene amounts of money for my cinnamon dolce latte? I lerve you for this, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 7:27 am

Ooooh, I didn’t even know they had that. Nope, no you don’t!! :)

6. Mom posted on August 4, 2014 at 8:52 am (#)

Funny, I seem to remember having that same convo with doctors about you when you were young! And by the way, you get your hypochondria from Daddy’s side of the family…lol
    xoxo

7. Annie @Maebells posted on August 4, 2014 at 9:07 am (#)

This is just what I need! My regular iced coffee is just not doing it for me anymore! Looks delicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 10:11 am

Thanks Annie!

8. Mary Frances posted on August 4, 2014 at 9:16 am (#)

Ugh, does anyone really look forward to the doctor? I always end up fumbling over my words and not getting the real problem out and they think I’m a crazy person. But that is besides the point ;)
    Haha, the non caffeinated version of you … I relate! I just made homemade caramel for the first time and I am hooked. Putting into creamer is genius!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 10:11 am

Thanks Mary Frances!

9. Kristi @ My SF Kitchen posted on August 4, 2014 at 10:47 am (#)

This is my mom’s favorite, she would die if I made this for her HOMEMADE! :) Thanks so much!

10. Kiley- Rooks to Cooks posted on August 4, 2014 at 3:08 pm (#)

Yum! This is a great way to use the DIY Dulce de Leche, and while I am not a coffee person I can totally see making a hot chocolate with this1 Or, using it in every single other thing I can think of :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Yes to the hot chocolate – definitely!

11. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on August 4, 2014 at 3:32 pm (#)

Oh my word, you know how much I love this right? My coffee thanks you!! And as for doctors, one word: UGH.

12. Danielle posted on August 4, 2014 at 5:12 pm (#)

I love your homemade coffee creamer recipes, so delicious! I could probably just drink this dulce le leche coffee creamer ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I bet I could too!

13. Heather @ Shards of Lavender posted on August 4, 2014 at 5:48 pm (#)

Making your homemade dulce de leche tonight so I can use it in an ice cream recipe later this week. I’ll have to set aside enough for this creamer. It looks absolutely divine!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Enjoy!!! I love that recipe. :)

14. Dolly posted on August 4, 2014 at 6:17 pm (#)

How long will this keep?

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I had it in my fridge for about 2 weeks!

15. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on August 4, 2014 at 6:46 pm (#)

Physicals SUCK! Dulce de leche helps!! My co worker would be allll over this!! Must make for her sometime!! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 5th, 2014 at 6:31 am

Thank you Elizabeth! :)

16. Amy @Very Culinary posted on August 4, 2014 at 7:14 pm (#)

1) I have a dental apt. next month where I have to have tissue grafting done. So looking forward to that. NOT. 2) Fellow germaphobe here *raises hand* …Howard Hughes ain’t got nothin’ on me, and 3) coffee is optional with this creamer, right? Because I’d just drink it on its own.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 5th, 2014 at 6:31 am

1. OH I’m so sorry. That’s worse than a physical. I’ll commiserate with you. And bring you pudding! 2. LOL, I get it from my dad and when I get really bad I just stop and say “WWDD?” and dial it back 10 degrees. 3. THANK YOU!

17. Ambar posted on August 4, 2014 at 7:45 pm (#)

I love how you dressed this amazing recipes in these cute jars!

18. Robin posted on August 4, 2014 at 9:15 pm (#)

Thanks! Great recipe. I’ve been bringing different chilled coffees to work in mason jars. This will be a great addition.

19. Michele @ Alwayzbakin posted on August 5, 2014 at 2:01 am (#)

One I ate with a spoon…haaa! haaaa! This looks so incredibly delicious. I know what I’m doing the next time I make dulce de leche!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 5th, 2014 at 6:29 am

Thanks Michele!!

20. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on August 5, 2014 at 7:02 am (#)

Seriously when are you going to market this stuff? It is magical!!!

21. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on August 5, 2014 at 8:19 am (#)

I just want to drink that creamer with a straw. How crazy awesome is this?!?!?! And web md is definitely a place I try to avoid because I’m sure I’m dying every time I get on there and see all the stuff I must have! LOL!

23. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on August 5, 2014 at 10:21 am (#)

My current cup of coffee needs this! Oh, and doctors, conversation like that happen all the time. Can’t stand it!

24. Melanie @ Carmel Moments posted on August 5, 2014 at 12:55 pm (#)

Mmm…I have yet to make homemade creamer. I have no idea why. Look simple enough though.
    Have a great day!

25. Jenn @ Mother Thyme posted on August 5, 2014 at 12:59 pm (#)

This is the kind of morning jolt my coffee needs! Yum!

26. Thalia @ butter and brioche posted on August 5, 2014 at 5:55 pm (#)

another delicious idea dorothy! i am OBSESSED with dulce de leche.. definitely recreating this, i cannot get enough of the stuff!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:55 am

Thanks Thalia!!

27. Beth @ bethcakes posted on August 5, 2014 at 6:12 pm (#)

I am TOTALLY going to make this. I go through coffee creamer like crazy, but I’ve never tried making my own! And I hate going to the doctor. I always feel like I’m going to get sick from something there as opposed to things elsewhere, haha. Good luck!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:54 am

It’s so easy Beth. Who would have thought that??

28. Rachel @the dessert chronicles posted on August 5, 2014 at 6:56 pm (#)

Obsessed!! I seriously need to start making homemade creamer and then I really won’t need to go to Starbucks anymore.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:54 am

It’s so much cheaper at home. And you can control the ingredients too!

29. Shannon @ Bake.Frost.Repeat posted on August 5, 2014 at 8:42 pm (#)

Oh, I’m thinking I could definitely become a coffee drinker with this creamer!!! Looks and sounds amazing!

30. Karen @ The Food Charlatan posted on August 5, 2014 at 9:27 pm (#)

Um, can I skip the coffee and just drink this? I’m pretty sure you just described dulce-de-leche-milk, the new, hotter cousin to chocolate milk. PS I’m going to add your homemade dulce to my dulce cheesecake I just posted. Hooray for homemade! PPS I’ve had ear problems my whole life too! We’re like ear-fail twins.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:54 am

YES. I like the way you think!!!

31. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on August 5, 2014 at 11:21 pm (#)

Gosh I wish I had some of this for my morning coffee! Looks like I have a good excuse to make Dulce De Leche!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:53 am

Thanks Julianne!

32. Annie @ Annie's Noms posted on August 6, 2014 at 1:35 am (#)

Just so happens that I have some dulce de leche leftover from a recipe, which means I can make this and have delicious coffee, thank you for this recipe, I had no idea it was so easy to make!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:53 am

ENJOY!

33. Pingback: A Few Recipes To Keep The Tummy Happy – OMG Cute Things - OMG Cute Things