Jul 09

The Best Homemade Brownie Mix

Once in awhile I get this chocolate craving. And on those days the only thing that curbs my craving is a brownie. A rich, fudgy, chocolate brownie.

Usually those are the days I reach for a box brownie mix, because it’s so quick to just whip up, bake, and dig in. However, lately I’ve found that I like my homemade brownies better than a box mix. Enter: homemade brownie mix. Keep it in your pantry and make a batch of brownies whenever you want – no box needed!

The Best Homemade Brownie Mix - it makes the best brownies!

I really hope I make sense while I write this. I’m kind of drugged up at the moment.

Have you ever taken Dramamine? The kind that’s not non-drowsy? The kind that makes your head feel like it’s on tracers? Well, it turns out that I have vertigo. It’s not horrible vertigo, which is why I’ve had it on and off for a year without knowing what it was. Now I know, and I have a fancy OTC drug that’s supposed to help it, a drug that’s like that regular dramamine. I just took my first dose about an hour ago and I feel a little…spacey.

Is there irony in the fact that the treatment for vertigo pretty much feels like vertigo itself?

Anyway, the story I was going to tell left my brain along with sense and reason, so now I’m going to talk about brownie mix. Should I related it to unicorn glitter or would that be too much?

The Best Homemade Brownie Mix - it makes the best brownies!

You guys all know how much I love me some brownies. I have over 25 recipes for them! It all started when I created a recipe that was better than from a box. I gave that recipe frosting, mixed it with nuts and caramel, and topped it with peanut butter.

Then, I created a one bowl brownie recipe. I loved it because it only used cocoa, which made it one less step. I’ve been making that recipe for awhile now and every time I pull out the cocoa powder I groan.

Raise you hand if you hate scooping cocoa powder as much as I do? I mean, I like mixing it into my brownies but 9 times out of 10 I end up snorting it up my nose.

So I decided it was time to come up with a recipe for a brownie mix, one that I could keep in the cabinet and just scoop out when I needed it. It took me a few tries to get it perfect, but here it is: The Best Homemade Brownie Mix!

All you have to do is whisk all the ingredients and store the mixture in a canister or ziploc bag until you’re ready to use it. Then you add egg, water, butter or oil, and vanilla. The brownies themselves come together in just a few minutes. It’s like pulling a box from the cabinet…without all the preservatives and box things so many people like to avoid.

There are a couple things I really love about this brownie mix:

1. You can use melted butter, vegetable oil, or liquid coconut oil to make them. They turn out the same every time – perfectly fudgy and rich as you can see in the photos. I tested with all three, and I’m sure canola oil or olive oil, or your favorite oil in general, would work too.

{Please. Don’t sub margarine. Or low-fat butter spread. Well, you can, but I can guarantee your results won’t be the same.}

2. You can make a small batch, a medium batch, or a large batch all with just a few adjustments. I left recipes for all thee in the box below.

A small batch is made with 1 cup of mix and baked in a bread pan. Perfect for when you know you’re going to eat a whole pan of brownies. Think of it as portion control.

The medium batch is baked in a 9×9 pan, using 2 cups of mix. I usually prefer 9×9 pan recipes because there are only 3 people in my family.

The large batch is baked in a 9×13 pan, using 3 cups of mix. I didn’t test this one, but it follows that it will work.

Genius, isn’t it?

Make your own brownie mix at home and have brownies whenever you want! This would also be the perfect gift for that someone who needs a little help with homemade. :)

The Best Homemade Brownie Mix - it makes the best brownies!

Did all that make sense? I hope so. :)

Enjoy!

The Best Brownie Mix

Yield: Brownie mix makes enough for 2 9x9" pans of brownies

This is the best brownie mix! Tastes better than a box mix and you can keep it in your cabinet for whenever a brownie craving hits! Make the brownies in a 9x9 pan or a loaf pan for a smaller serving, or gift a jar of mix to a friend!

Ingredients:

For the Mix:

• 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup cocoa
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

For the prepared Brownies:

• See directions for amounts, depending on pan size:
  • Unsalted butter (melted), vegetable oil, OR liquid coconut oil
  • Eggs
  • Water
  • Vanilla Extract

Directions:

To Make the Mix:

• Whisk together all mix ingredients in a large bowl. Place in an airtight container or gallon size ziploc bag. Store until ready to make brownies.
  • Note: you can also gift this brownie mix in a large jar. Just attach directions as written below!

To Make a 9x9” Pan of Brownies:

• Mix 2 cups of Brownie Mix with 1/2 cup melted butter (or you can use vegetable oil, or liquid coconut oil), 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon water. (If desired, add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts or mini chocolate chips!)
  • Spread in a 9x9” pan that’s been lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for about 20-24 minutes, until a toothpick comes out 1” from the edge of the pan with only a few crumbs. Cool before slicing into squares.

To Make a Loaf Pan of Brownies:

• Mix 1 cup of Brownie Mix with 1/4 cup melted butter (or you can use vegetable oil, or liquid coconut oil), 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 1/2 teaspoons water. (If desired, add 1/4 cup of chopped nuts or mini chocolate chips!)
  • Spread in a loaf pan (4x8 or 9x5) that’s been lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for about 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out 1” from the edge of the pan with only a few crumbs. Cool before slicing into squares.

Notes:

You could also use a mini muffin or regular sized cupcake tin to make single serving brownies! Just be sure to grease them well with butter, shortening, or cooking spray with flour for easy removal (or use muffin liners). Baking time will be affected.

To make a 9x13" pan of brownies, mix 3 cups of brownie mix with 3/4 cup melted butter (or you can use vegetable oil, or liquid coconut oil), 3 eggs, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and 1 1/2 tablespoons water. (If desired, add 3/4 cup of chopped nuts or mini chocolate chips!) Spread in a 9x13” pan that’s been lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for about 22-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out 1” from the edge of the pan with only a few crumbs. Cool before slicing into squares. **Note this is untested, but should work!**

You can use this brownie mix to make so many recipes! Like…

Reese’s Brownies with Oreo Crust

Oreo Peanut Butter Cup Brownies (5 of 9)w

PB&J Brownies

PB&J Brownies (3 of 5)w

Cookies ‘n Cream Brownie Bites

Cookies 'n Cream Brownie Bites (1 of 7)w

Almond Joy Brownies

One Bowl Candy Bar Brownies (3 of 4)w

Nutter Butter Truffle Brownies

nutter butter truffle brownies

Homemade Yellow Cake Mix by i am baker
Chocolate Mousse Brownies by Love and Olive Oil
Browned Butter Brownies by Something Swanky

95 Responses to “The Best Homemade Brownie Mix”

1. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness posted on July 9, 2014 at 3:24 am (#)

Sorry to hear about the Vertigo Dorothy – my Aunt has it and it never looks all that fun!
    Unicorn glitter is fun though ;)
    And, this brownie mix? MEGA FUN. I hate you and love you for making brownies SO easy to make whenever I have a chocolate craving. Which is always. Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 9th, 2014 at 6:38 am

Thanks Taylor! Thanks for the pin!

• Gg replied on July 10th, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I made a 5 1/2 pond bag of homemade brownie mix I think I gained like 20 pounds

2. Robin @ Simply Southern Baking posted on July 9, 2014 at 3:49 am (#)

Thanks for sharing this with us. What a great mix to have on hand when a brownie craving hits!

3. Mir posted on July 9, 2014 at 4:00 am (#)

You know, snorting cocoa sounds like it would be nice, but it’s just not.
    This is so great! I’m making a container of this today. I’m gonna love having it on hand!

4. Melanie @ Carmel Moments posted on July 9, 2014 at 4:42 am (#)

Gorgeous! Brownies….brownie mix….brownie batter….it’s all gorgeous to me! :)
    Thanks for sharing deliciousness today!
    Have a wonderful day.

5. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron posted on July 9, 2014 at 4:51 am (#)

What a great idea!! And if it’s the best, definitely need to make a whole bunch of these to have whenever the brownie craving strikes….which is a lot :) Also these are so perfect for gifts!! Pinned :)

6. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on July 9, 2014 at 4:56 am (#)

What a great idea to make homemade brownie mix! This would make for an amazing gift for someone, too! And those brownies look AMAZING! So rich and fudgy. Love this!

7. Tieghan posted on July 9, 2014 at 5:48 am (#)

I love the idea of making you own brownie mix. Such a great idea and perfect for the moments when you need some brownie batter now!

8. Amanda posted on July 9, 2014 at 6:42 am (#)

Thanks so much for this, so happy to have a trusty brownie mix recipe on hand :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 9th, 2014 at 7:09 am

Thank you Amanda!! It’s good…and dangerous too! :)

9. Mary posted on July 9, 2014 at 6:51 am (#)

This is perfect for my girls to mix up and bake over the summer break! Thanks :)

10. Kristine @ Kristine's Kitchen posted on July 9, 2014 at 7:16 am (#)

Homemade brownie mix = the best idea ever!!! Thank you for doing all of the work for us in testing this recipe! And those brownies, they look so rich and fudgy!

11. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on July 9, 2014 at 7:18 am (#)

That mix looks epic! It looks like I just want to bury my face in this mix before I even bake it!

12. Hayley posted on July 9, 2014 at 8:56 am (#)

This looks perfect! I always feel like I’m cheating if I use a box brownie mix, so using this will make me feel much better :)

13. danielle posted on July 9, 2014 at 8:57 am (#)

Thanks you thank you thank you – what a great idea to have this on hand at all times. My house needs this :)

14. Amanda posted on July 9, 2014 at 10:25 am (#)

Confession: I love brownies but have never made them from scratch. Yours look so tasty! I need to try them out.

15. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 9, 2014 at 11:03 am (#)

I love that you made this mix! As you said, scooping cocoa powder is such a messy job and it goes everywhere! And I love that you have 25+ brownie recipes, a girl after my own heart :) Pinned!

16. Lindsay Ann @ Lindasy Ann Bakes posted on July 9, 2014 at 12:00 pm (#)

This would make suuuch a perfect gift!! I love all of your brownie recipes, power to the chocolate lovers!

17. Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE posted on July 9, 2014 at 1:45 pm (#)

Dorothy! Such a wonderful idea! I try not to use box cake/brownie mix! So nice to have homemade mix! This would make such a great give too! Thanks for sharing! Pinned :)

18. Ashley Urke | Domestic Fashionista posted on July 9, 2014 at 2:13 pm (#)

So excited to try this!!!!

19. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on July 9, 2014 at 4:11 pm (#)

Hopefully you don’t have to take those med all the time. Vertigo is scary.
    I vote that you should have related this brownie mix to unicorn glitter. Definitely appropriate! It’s like you live in my head because I needed a way to get brownies on my hips faster! lol Can’t wait to try this mix out!!

20. tahnycooks posted on July 9, 2014 at 4:28 pm (#)

I have had 2 vertigo “spin outs” and it was horrible and every since then I have felt “off” or “floaty” I started to see a specialist and it seems to be that this is coming from my neck from bending it down a lot (blogging) and headaches/migraines. There is hope. I have had this going on with me for about 10 months now. We will get better….I am so glad you shared that you are having this issue. Some days I feel crazy and that no one knows what I am feeling or talking about. I will pray for you!

I think it would be a fantastic idea to have a large ziplock bag full of this brownie mix on hand when the time is requiring brownies!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 10th, 2014 at 6:50 am

Aw thanks Tahny! I’m sorry you’re going through it. That “off” and “floaty” describes it perfectly. It’s not 100% of the time, but now that I realize it’s been going on awhile I think it’s been there more than it’s not, you know? I just thought I was getting more motion sick as I got older! The looking down, OMG yes. Sigh.

Thank you!!

21. Emily @ Life on Food posted on July 9, 2014 at 5:12 pm (#)

I have chocolate cravings all of the time. I would love to have this just sitting in my pantry!!

22. Lisa @ Cooking with Curls posted on July 9, 2014 at 6:12 pm (#)

I despise mecclizine/dramamine!! I have had meniere’s for 15 years, and it sucks. I would like some unicorn glitter though. ;) I love this mix Dorothy, in fact why didn’t I think of it? I hope you feel better soon!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 10th, 2014 at 6:47 am

Thank you Lisa! My dad has Meniere’s and I’ve had ear problems (tubes, infections, fluid, etc) all my life, so I’m just hoping that’s not the path I’m heading down!!!

23. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on July 9, 2014 at 6:20 pm (#)

Oh my goodness Dorothy! Vertigo does not sound like fun at all. Carrie (from the blog Poet in the Pantry) was describing her vertigo experiences at BlogHer Food in Miami, and I just wanted to give her a huge hug. I’d do the same to you, if we weren’t so darn far away! :) But in the meantime, a big plate of fudgy brownies should at least make you feel a little better, right? Especially when they’re from a homemade mix!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 10th, 2014 at 6:46 am

Thanks Amy! You’re so sweet!! :)

24. Laurie F. posted on July 9, 2014 at 7:09 pm (#)

I hope your vertigo gets better soon, Dorothy! My mom had it off and on, and I had it once – yuck! Thanks for the recipe for the mix! Most of the store box mixes have hydrogenated oil; the others are really expensive. We have neighbor kids coming over tomorrow – this will be a great treat after lunch!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 10th, 2014 at 6:46 am

Thanks Laurie! As much as I love my box mixes, I love moving away from them for that reason. Enjoy!

25. Krystle(Baking Beauty) posted on July 9, 2014 at 7:21 pm (#)

I wish I only got chocolate cravings once in awhile. I crave it everyday! Love that this uses cocoa powder. I hate messing with chopping/melting chocolate for brownies.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 10th, 2014 at 6:45 am

Oh, me too. I need some chocolate every day or I go crazy!

26. Kelly - Life made Sweeter posted on July 9, 2014 at 7:54 pm (#)

Sorry to hear about that Dorothy and hope you feel better soon. This brownie mix sounds perfect! Love that I can whip up a batch of brownies in no time whenever I need it. Can’t wait to try this – pinning :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 10th, 2014 at 6:45 am

Thanks Kelly, and thanks for the pin!

27. Caitlin @ teaspoon posted on July 10, 2014 at 1:13 am (#)

best idea ever. I can’t go back to the boxed mix but I also miss the ease of whipping up a quick batch of brownies. btw, my cousin had vertigo and she found that the only thing that truly fixed it was bikram yoga. not sure if it will work for you, but it might be worth a shot!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 10th, 2014 at 6:45 am

I’ll have to try that Caitlin! I used to do yoga, then my new gym doesn’t offer it. I’ll have to get some videos!

28. Medeja posted on July 10, 2014 at 2:55 am (#)

I like the idea of having the ready brownies mix! And then just adding some different things you make delicious brownies anytime! :)

29. Rebecca Cooper posted on July 10, 2014 at 7:12 am (#)

This sounds so great! Can’t wait to try, I love brownies! :)

30. Shannon @ Bake.Frost.Repeat. posted on July 10, 2014 at 7:42 am (#)

I love boxed brownie mix, but I’m am definitely going to try your homemade brownies. I like them fudgy too. I love this idea of making your own brownie mix. This would be perfect for me to give out at Christmas time. Totally pinning!!

31. Samina | The Cupcake Confession posted on July 10, 2014 at 7:58 am (#)

A brownie mix for a brownie fix when the craving strikes????? THIS IS THE MOST PERFECT thing ever!!!! Goodbye box-mixes!!!! I can’t believe how quick making brownies is going to be from this point on! TOTALLY pinning this! <3

32. dane posted on July 10, 2014 at 9:43 am (#)

i just made this but haven’t eaten any. My question is: I made the 9×9 recipe. Now I have 1 and 1/2 cups of mix left. All of your recipes call for 1-3 cups of mix, no 1/2’s. what to do?????
    One helpful note_ Be careful mixing the dry ingredients together, as with the cocoa in it, it does “spray” if mixing too vigorously!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 10th, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Oh yes, I know – cocoa. It’s the worst – you blow your nose the next day and it still has cocoa in there. One of the batches I made I was careful to check measures – I ended up with 1 9×9 batch and 2 small batches. It’s possible the powder settled a little during measuring and that’s why you didn’t have 2 cups left. I would bet that you could do a 1/2 cup, with half the 9×9 ingredients and use an egg white. Or, make more mix and eventually it’ll round itself out! Enjoy!

33. Tracey posted on July 10, 2014 at 12:06 pm (#)

You are a genius!! I just printed the recipe and I can’t wait to try it. Like you, I looove me some brownies!

34. Michelle B posted on July 10, 2014 at 7:24 pm (#)

Thank you for the recipe! I will surely try this once I get some baking supplies!

35. Trudy posted on July 11, 2014 at 12:55 am (#)

I have had vertigo on and off for the past 4 years. I hate the prescription medications, like you say they make you feel nearly as bad as the vertigo. I seem to end up curled up on the couch, too tired to do anything, after I’ve taken it, and I can’t think straight. I admire you for being able to write a sentence, I’m sure I never could! Anyway, because I hate the medication so much, I looked into natural alternatives. I found that taking a gingko tablet a day, when things start spinning, seems to help. It doesn’t completely make the symptoms disappear, but it helps enough so I can still function normally and walk in straight lines. And I have found that my attacks don’t come as frequently now. I don’t know if it would help you, but it’s definitely worth looking for an alternative that does! I think chocolate must help too… chocolate is proven to be good for you, right?

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 11th, 2014 at 6:19 am

Thank you Trudy!! I’ll for sure try that. I’d rather do that than the medication when things get bad. :)

36. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom posted on July 11, 2014 at 5:17 am (#)

I love this, Dorothy!! I’ll be able to get my brownie fix faster by keeping a jar of this in my pantry! great idea!

37. Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen posted on July 11, 2014 at 7:02 pm (#)

This would make the perfect gift – period!! When I get a chocolate craving I instantly NEED a piece of dark chocolate – but a brownie also would hit the spot!! :)

38. Kristyn posted on July 12, 2014 at 7:39 am (#)

I’ve never made my own Homemade Brownie Mix but can’t wait to give this a try – thanks!

39. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on July 12, 2014 at 3:38 pm (#)

LOVE THIS! So smart!!! Pinning!

40. Jessica posted on July 13, 2014 at 8:37 am (#)

Thanks for the recipe! I’ll have to adapt it to gluten free by that should be easy peasy with some gf flour. Also, I feel you on the vertigo. I have it and it majorly runs in my family. It’s not fun and when a spell happens, I’m out for at least a week in bed. I haven’t found a way to get better amidst a dizzy spell, but I feel like i can prevent them somewhat. Sleeping on my left side has helped tremendously! But you just never know when they’ll hit!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 13th, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Ugh, I’m sorry you deal with it Jessica! Thank you for reading!

41. April posted on July 13, 2014 at 10:05 am (#)

Hi, you might of said this already but do you know how long the mix will last in a container? They look delicious, can’t wait to try them. Thank you for making it look so easy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 13th, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I’m not sure exactly, but I would assume at least a month or more. None of the mix ingredients go bad, so just make sure to keep it in an airtight container!

42. Cheryl posted on July 13, 2014 at 11:08 pm (#)

I LOVE IT! I am saving this recipe to try soon. I hope you’ll stop by and share it and/or any of your other delicoius recipe at my recipe link party, The Yuck Stops Here starting Tuesday evening at 8pm ET. You can find it on my blog, Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos at http://mommasangelbaby (dot) com. I hope to see you there! And thanks again for this yummy recipe! HUGS

43. Dawn posted on July 14, 2014 at 1:49 pm (#)

My grandmother had a recipe for brownie mix that you could store in your pantry, but it also could be used to make chocolate syrup, hot fudge as well as brownies. All you had to do was adjust the fresh/wet ingredients and you turned out a different result! I remember she used to have it stored in paper grocery bags and it was like heaven when she pulled that out. Sadly the recipe is long gone with her passing. Would you care to take up the challenge of making hot fudge out of your brownie mix? Pretty please??? :)

I can’t wait to try this at home, I’m sure my son will love it. Mahalo!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2014 at 6:51 pm

What a great idea! I’ll have to try that. I wonder if your grandmother’s mix had flour in it? I’ve never heard of flour in a hot fudge, but maybe just adding water would make it that thick texture. I have some mix, I’ll play with it! I was already planning to test it for cookies and gooey bars too! :)

44. Sarah posted on July 14, 2014 at 6:30 pm (#)

I am SO psyched to have found this, was thinking of doing a food gift as a takeaway for an upcoming celebration – this will work perfectly!!!

45. Jo Tell posted on July 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm (#)

I have to admit, just like all of the others, this sounds SO good! The pictures………ooooohh! It looks sinfully good! Unfortunately, there was not one comment that said I’ve tried it and……. Has anyone put this together and had the same to say? I do hope you’re getting ahead of your issues with vertigo. Thank you for spending the time & coming up with this recipe ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2014 at 6:40 am

Yes there were a few commenters that tried it, I believe. And I’ve gotten a few emails too!

46. Pingback: Easy Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream - Crazy for Crust

47. Shelly Lucier posted on July 17, 2014 at 11:34 pm (#)

I was craving brownies tonight and thought I had a mix, but didn’t. So glad I found this. Easy to make and keep. I too have Vertigo. It’s frustrating. I had a doctor tell me he thought my neck could be the culprit, but then another say no. Ugh. I hope you’re symptoms ease very soon.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 18th, 2014 at 6:23 am

Thank you Shelly! The bad part is gone, but I’m still being careful. I swear it’s my ears but who knows. I have a doctor appt next month, hopefully she’ll have more answers for me!! I hope yours is getting better – it’s no fun, especially when the doctor doesn’t know the cause! <3

48. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on July 19, 2014 at 1:23 pm (#)

Oh, girl I am so sorry to hear about the vertigo…hopefully the dr’s can get it figured out and you won’t need the drugs! I love how easy this mix is to have on hand for those brownie cravings. Brownies this good would help cure anything, right?

49. Bonnie posted on August 2, 2014 at 10:57 pm (#)

Thank you so much for the brownie mix recipe. Will be making a batch this week. I am sorry to hear about your vertigo. I had an attack several years ago. It was diagnosed as Benign Paroxsmal Positional vertigo. As you believe, it can be related to your ears. There are onlith organs in the ears that have crystals (not sure what they are actually made of) and the crystals can become dislodged and basically “rattle around” in your ear. There is a treatment, which consists on turning the head in certain positions, while the patient is lying down. It is called Canalith Repositioning Procedure. You might talk to your physician about this and see what he/she has to say. If you go on the internet, specifically Mayo Clinic, there is information about BPPV there. Hope this might help.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:47 am

Thank you Bonnie! That’s great information! I have a doctor appt. next week, and I’ll for sure be talking to her about it!

50. Deven posted on August 4, 2014 at 9:12 pm (#)

Do you think whole wheat pastry flour would work with this recipe?

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 5th, 2014 at 6:30 am

I’ve never substituted whole wheat in this recipe, but I have substituted half the all-purpose for whole wheat in other recipes with success. I’d start with half and try it, just in case! Let me know how it works!

• Deven replied on August 6th, 2014 at 3:19 pm

As soon as my boyfriend found out I was going to make homemade brownies, he begged me not to use wheat flour! So I can’t say what it’s like with wheat, but these brownies came out wonderful! I used an 8×8 pan for 34 minutes and they were the best brownies I’ve ever had. Thanks for the great recipe! If I can ever sneak in wheat flour, I’ll let you know how it comes out.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you liked them Deven!

51. Pingback: Brownie Cookies from scratch - Crazy for Crust

52. Pingback: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix - Something Swanky

53. Tina posted on August 24, 2014 at 4:14 pm (#)

I Love the brownie mix so do my family. The 9×13 directions were great!!!!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 24th, 2014 at 4:46 pm

That’s so great to know Tina! Yay!

54. Pingback: Brownie Brittle Toffee Crunch Cookie Cups

55. Clara posted on September 17, 2014 at 1:03 pm (#)

I have now made three batches of these brownies and I absolutely agree, it is wonderful!!  My first batch was an 8×8 glass dish, and the cook time was much longer. I think almost 35 min. Today, I made a 9x13x1 pan in my trusty pan that I always used for brownies, and they came out delicious.  My cook time was only about 22 min at 350′ and I am in Texas, for reference.  The top is a slight crust and the middle is rich, just perfect, fudgy brownie. Also, I have subbed coconut oil with delicious results. I also used Nativa Naturals raw cacao powder because I already had it in the pantry. Thank you for the wonderful recipe.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 17th, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Yay! I’m so glad to know that Clara!! Thanks for the baking times. I think I under bake my brownies without knowing it (I’d almost rather eat the batter!)

56. Pingback: Battle of the Brownies | Simply Rooms (by design)

57. Pingback: Officially a hippie. | The Cook Crew

58. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip Brownies - Will Cook For Smiles

59. katie posted on October 7, 2014 at 7:58 pm (#)

Ok so i just now made these.  And something went terribly wrong.  Do when you buy cocoa it comes in an 8oz container.  First I poured it into the measuring cup to measure one cup.  I thought it was odd that the container said 8oz but when you measure about half that it comes to b one cup.  I poured the whole container in assuming the package measurement had to better than mine.  That is probably where I went wrong.  My brownies are crumbly and bitter.  Can my mistake be fixed? Do I have to throw out all these ingredients?

60. Liz posted on October 9, 2014 at 5:53 pm (#)

I wonder if the cocoa you used is already sweetened. I have a raw cocoa in my cupboard.. do I need to add more sugar?

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 9th, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I used Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa. You can also use the special dark, or dutch process!

61. Emily posted on October 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm (#)

Dad and I ran out of brownie mix but found ourselves hankering for a chocolate morsel like nobody’s business. I’m so glad I found you recipe on Pinterest. I added some caramels to the batter and it’s finishing in the oven right now – our house smells heavenly! I can’t wait to try them – thanks again for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 14th, 2014 at 6:31 am

Oh yes. Caramel would be fabulous!! Enjoy!

62. Chrissi posted on October 27, 2014 at 5:24 pm (#)

love this!! What kind of cocoa do you use??