Jul 09

The Best Homemade Brownie Mix

Once in awhile I get this chocolate craving. And on those days the only thing that curbs my craving is a brownie. A rich, fudgy, chocolate brownie.

Usually those are the days I reach for a box brownie mix, because it’s so quick to just whip up, bake, and dig in. However, lately I’ve found that I like my homemade brownies better than a box mix. Enter: homemade brownie mix. Keep it in your pantry and make a batch of brownies whenever you want – no box needed!

The Best Homemade Brownie Mix - it makes the best brownies!

I really hope I make sense while I write this. I’m kind of drugged up at the moment.

Have you ever taken Dramamine? The kind that’s not non-drowsy? The kind that makes your head feel like it’s on tracers? Well, it turns out that I have vertigo. It’s not horrible vertigo, which is why I’ve had it on and off for a year without knowing what it was. Now I know, and I have a fancy OTC drug that’s supposed to help it, a drug that’s like that regular dramamine. I just took my first dose about an hour ago and I feel a little…spacey.

Is there irony in the fact that the treatment for vertigo pretty much feels like vertigo itself?

Anyway, the story I was going to tell left my brain along with sense and reason, so now I’m going to talk about brownie mix. Should I related it to unicorn glitter or would that be too much?

The Best Homemade Brownie Mix - it makes the best brownies!

You guys all know how much I love me some brownies. I have over 25 recipes for them! It all started when I created a recipe that was better than from a box. I gave that recipe frosting, mixed it with nuts and caramel, and topped it with peanut butter.

Then, I created a one bowl brownie recipe. I loved it because it only used cocoa, which made it one less step. I’ve been making that recipe for awhile now and every time I pull out the cocoa powder I groan.

Raise you hand if you hate scooping cocoa powder as much as I do? I mean, I like mixing it into my brownies but 9 times out of 10 I end up snorting it up my nose.

So I decided it was time to come up with a recipe for a brownie mix, one that I could keep in the cabinet and just scoop out when I needed it. It took me a few tries to get it perfect, but here it is: The Best Homemade Brownie Mix!

All you have to do is whisk all the ingredients and store the mixture in a canister or ziploc bag until you’re ready to use it. Then you add egg, water, butter or oil, and vanilla. The brownies themselves come together in just a few minutes. It’s like pulling a box from the cabinet…without all the preservatives and box things so many people like to avoid.

There are a couple things I really love about this brownie mix:

1. You can use melted butter, vegetable oil, or liquid coconut oil to make them. They turn out the same every time – perfectly fudgy and rich as you can see in the photos. I tested with all three, and I’m sure canola oil or olive oil, or your favorite oil in general, would work too.

{Please. Don’t sub margarine. Or low-fat butter spread. Well, you can, but I can guarantee your results won’t be the same.}

2. You can make a small batch, a medium batch, or a large batch all with just a few adjustments. I left recipes for all thee in the box below.

A small batch is made with 1 cup of mix and baked in a bread pan. Perfect for when you know you’re going to eat a whole pan of brownies. Think of it as portion control.

The medium batch is baked in a 9×9 pan, using 2 cups of mix. I usually prefer 9×9 pan recipes because there are only 3 people in my family.

The large batch is baked in a 9×13 pan, using 3 cups of mix. I didn’t test this one, but it follows that it will work.

Genius, isn’t it?

Make your own brownie mix at home and have brownies whenever you want! This would also be the perfect gift for that someone who needs a little help with homemade. :)

The Best Homemade Brownie Mix - it makes the best brownies!

Did all that make sense? I hope so. :)

Enjoy!

The Best Brownie Mix

Yield: Brownie mix makes enough for 2 9x9" pans of brownies

This is the best brownie mix! Tastes better than a box mix and you can keep it in your cabinet for whenever a brownie craving hits! Make the brownies in a 9x9 pan or a loaf pan for a smaller serving, or gift a jar of mix to a friend!

Ingredients:

For the Mix:

• 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup cocoa
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

For the prepared Brownies:

• See directions for amounts, depending on pan size:
  • Unsalted butter (melted), vegetable oil, OR liquid coconut oil
  • Eggs
  • Water
  • Vanilla Extract

Directions:

To Make the Mix:

• Whisk together all mix ingredients in a large bowl. Place in an airtight container or gallon size ziploc bag. Store until ready to make brownies.
  • Note: you can also gift this brownie mix in a large jar. Just attach directions as written below!

To Make a 9x9” Pan of Brownies:

• Mix 2 cups of Brownie Mix with 1/2 cup melted butter (or you can use vegetable oil, or liquid coconut oil), 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon water. (If desired, add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts or mini chocolate chips!)
  • Spread in a 9x9” pan that’s been lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for about 20-24 minutes, until a toothpick comes out 1” from the edge of the pan with only a few crumbs. Cool before slicing into squares.

To Make a Loaf Pan of Brownies:

• Mix 1 cup of Brownie Mix with 1/4 cup melted butter (or you can use vegetable oil, or liquid coconut oil), 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 1/2 teaspoons water. (If desired, add 1/4 cup of chopped nuts or mini chocolate chips!)
  • Spread in a loaf pan (4x8 or 9x5) that’s been lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for about 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out 1” from the edge of the pan with only a few crumbs. Cool before slicing into squares.

Notes:

You could also use a mini muffin or regular sized cupcake tin to make single serving brownies! Just be sure to grease them well with butter, shortening, or cooking spray with flour for easy removal (or use muffin liners). Baking time will be affected.

To make a 9x13" pan of brownies, mix 3 cups of brownie mix with 3/4 cup melted butter (or you can use vegetable oil, or liquid coconut oil), 3 eggs, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and 1 1/2 tablespoons water. (If desired, add 3/4 cup of chopped nuts or mini chocolate chips!) Spread in a 9x13” pan that’s been lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for about 22-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out 1” from the edge of the pan with only a few crumbs. Cool before slicing into squares. **Note this is untested, but should work!**

You can use this brownie mix to make so many recipes! Like…

Reese’s Brownies with Oreo Crust

Oreo Peanut Butter Cup Brownies (5 of 9)w

PB&J Brownies

PB&J Brownies (3 of 5)w

Cookies ‘n Cream Brownie Bites

Cookies 'n Cream Brownie Bites (1 of 7)w

Almond Joy Brownies

One Bowl Candy Bar Brownies (3 of 4)w

Nutter Butter Truffle Brownies

nutter butter truffle brownies

Homemade Yellow Cake Mix by i am baker
Chocolate Mousse Brownies by Love and Olive Oil
Browned Butter Brownies by Something Swanky

123 Responses to “The Best Homemade Brownie Mix”

1. Pingback: Brownie Cookies from scratch - Crazy for Crust

2. Pingback: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix - Something Swanky

3. Tina posted on August 24, 2014 at 4:14 pm (#)

I Love the brownie mix so do my family. The 9×13 directions were great!!!!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 24th, 2014 at 4:46 pm

That’s so great to know Tina! Yay!

4. Pingback: Brownie Brittle Toffee Crunch Cookie Cups

5. Clara posted on September 17, 2014 at 1:03 pm (#)

I have now made three batches of these brownies and I absolutely agree, it is wonderful!!  My first batch was an 8×8 glass dish, and the cook time was much longer. I think almost 35 min. Today, I made a 9x13x1 pan in my trusty pan that I always used for brownies, and they came out delicious.  My cook time was only about 22 min at 350′ and I am in Texas, for reference.  The top is a slight crust and the middle is rich, just perfect, fudgy brownie. Also, I have subbed coconut oil with delicious results. I also used Nativa Naturals raw cacao powder because I already had it in the pantry. Thank you for the wonderful recipe.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 17th, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Yay! I’m so glad to know that Clara!! Thanks for the baking times. I think I under bake my brownies without knowing it (I’d almost rather eat the batter!)

6. Pingback: Battle of the Brownies | Simply Rooms (by design)

7. Pingback: Officially a hippie. | The Cook Crew

8. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip Brownies - Will Cook For Smiles

9. katie posted on October 7, 2014 at 7:58 pm (#)

Ok so i just now made these.  And something went terribly wrong.  Do when you buy cocoa it comes in an 8oz container.  First I poured it into the measuring cup to measure one cup.  I thought it was odd that the container said 8oz but when you measure about half that it comes to b one cup.  I poured the whole container in assuming the package measurement had to better than mine.  That is probably where I went wrong.  My brownies are crumbly and bitter.  Can my mistake be fixed? Do I have to throw out all these ingredients?

10. Liz posted on October 9, 2014 at 5:53 pm (#)

I wonder if the cocoa you used is already sweetened. I have a raw cocoa in my cupboard.. do I need to add more sugar?

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 9th, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I used Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa. You can also use the special dark, or dutch process!

11. Emily posted on October 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm (#)

Dad and I ran out of brownie mix but found ourselves hankering for a chocolate morsel like nobody’s business. I’m so glad I found you recipe on Pinterest. I added some caramels to the batter and it’s finishing in the oven right now – our house smells heavenly! I can’t wait to try them – thanks again for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 14th, 2014 at 6:31 am

Oh yes. Caramel would be fabulous!! Enjoy!

12. Chrissi posted on October 27, 2014 at 5:24 pm (#)

love this!! What kind of cocoa do you use??

13. Pingback: Homemade Dry Mixes for Baking and Cooking

14. Noelle posted on November 17, 2014 at 10:33 am (#)

I made the 9×13 version, baking for about 27 minutes, and they came out great! These are very dangerous to be home alone with…

15. Betsy S. posted on November 18, 2014 at 6:22 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy!
    I am about to prepare a batch of this mix as a gift for a friend.
    I am writing out the instructions first, and as I was printing out the instructions for the small batch (1 cup, baked in a bread pan) I noticed that you don’t mention the quatities for the added wet ingredients for any of the three batch sizes (bread pan, 9×9, 9×13).
    Would you mind sharing what your wet quantities were for each batch size? That would be awesome, thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 19th, 2014 at 6:36 am

The amounts are in the directions! Enjoy!

16. Pingback: DIY Brownie Mix for Holiday Gifts - Mom Favorites

17. Jami posted on December 11, 2014 at 3:46 pm (#)

I just whipped up a batch of the mix. Looking forward to making some brownie bites later this evening! Thank you for the inspiration!

18. Cheryl Guthrie posted on December 31, 2014 at 3:36 pm (#)

Brownies are in the oven now–but I dowsed the comments and didn’t see anybody with the problem I had.  I made the big batch–9×13″ pan–and carefully measured out the right amount of mix and put in exactly the amount of oil, eggs, and water called for–and the mix was WAY too dry, like really stiff bread dough!  Had to add another quarter cup of water to get it to brownie batter consistency.  I kind of had wondered because box mixes usually call for about a fourth cup of water.  I’ll let you know how they come out.  Theories?

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 31st, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I haven’t made the 9×13 pan size yet, but I have had a reader report that it worked for them using my estimated ingredients in the post (3 cups of brownie mix with 3/4 cup melted butter (or you can use vegetable oil, or liquid coconut oil), 3 eggs, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and 1 1/2 tablespoons water). That said, when I’ve made the 9×9 and the mini pan size, it’s always been moist. It could be a difference in altitude or weather, or there could have been too much flour used. How do you measure your flour (scooping or spooning?) Scooping can cause a packing of the flour, which can cause dryness. Also, did you use butter (not margarine?) or oil? Let me know how they turn out!

• Cheryl+Guthrie replied on December 31st, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Just cut them and sampled, and they’re yummy–though a little more cake-like than I like.  I do confess to scooping the flour (then leveling with a knife)–possibly that is the problem, though I wouldn’t have thought it would result in getting THAT much more flour.  I used coconut oil.  The flour was organic unbleached white flour, don’t know if that makes a difference.  Re the cake-like vs. fudge-like, do you think it would work with two eggs?  I questioned the third egg for that reason but figured I’d better go by the recipe first time out.

Anyway thanks, I LOVE now knowing how easy it is to make your own mix!  I one day looked at the ingredients on my brownie mix box and was horrified to find trans fats in the mix.  I then looked at all the other mixes on the shelf and could not find a SINGLE ONE without trans fats.  Thus the desire to make my own.  If I’d known it would be this simple I’d have done it a long time ago!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 2nd, 2015 at 7:16 am

Definitely try and spoon the flour next time, that might work! My other brownie recipe (not a mix; it uses melted chocolate as well as cocoa) uses 3 eggs, so I don’t think it’s too many, but you could omit one next time and try it! Whenever I’ve made the 9×9 size, it’s always super fudgy! Maybe add a little more oil to compensate. And I’m glad you discovered making your own mix. SO easy and so much better for you!

• Addie replied on January 2nd, 2015 at 11:28 am

I made the 9×13 (literally minutes ago) and waited for it to cool. I didn’t have quite enough of the 3 cups (I leveled out with a knife when making the mix, and I also previously made the peanut butter brownie dip from you). So I adjusted everything just a touch to match the kissing 1/2 cup. I only added 2 eggs because I thought the same thing. When I’m going to make a cake, I want it cakey. Wheni m going to make brownies I want them fudgey. I probably should’ve added just a touch more of oil or water because it was just a bit hard to mix, but instead I added some vanilla Greek yogurt, merely because I had it on hand. So…why not? And makes me feel even better eating these delish brownies

19. Joy posted on January 6, 2015 at 6:41 am (#)

We LOVE this brownie mix.  My husband knows a batch of it is waiting on him in the freezer.  His hint to me….”Are you making brownies in there?”  He loves the chewier texture of these better than a cake-like texture.  I’ve had so many compliments on this recipe.  I haven’t changed any of it.  As far as I’m concerned, I don’t need any other brownie recipe.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 6th, 2015 at 6:59 am

Thank you SO much! I love hearing that. It makes my day!

20. Pingback: #PintrestFail AKA Homemade Christmas Gifts | Hungry Holly Runs

21. Bren Torbert posted on January 30, 2015 at 4:48 am (#)

VERTIGO! Ughhhhh!!
    UNTIL ‘one’s been there, done that’…. They would not even begin to imagine!!
    I’ve SUFFERED (that IS the perfect word to describe it)…. For 6+ LONG years!  I KEEP Meclizine & PHENERGAN in my purse… AT ALL TIMES!
    The Lord has truly been my HELP & HEALER…..as I have not had an “episode” in nearly 8 months! PTL!!
    I will certainly be praying for you!!
    And in the meantime…. While making me up some of this ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS LOOKING BROWNIE MIX….
    Trying to figure out a way….. Of HOW CHOCOLATE ….
    Can take the place…. Of the “Mec & Phen” 😉

I KNOW this will be a TOUCHDOWN…. For our short Super Bowl get together …. This Sunday….after church!
    (I really do HATE football…..OHHHHHH but the EATING/SNACKING IS….
    AWESOME!!)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 30th, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Thank you! It got much better once I started using a nasal spray. Now if I feel it coming on I start taking decongestant right away and it helps a lot!

22. pat burkert posted on February 26, 2015 at 3:38 pm (#)

Just made these brownies!  Delish!  Thank You

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 26th, 2015 at 4:32 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed them!!

23. Virginia G posted on March 30, 2015 at 12:26 am (#)

Just a little story…my husband needed something to bring to a potluck and found himself at home with our baby while I was at the urgent care facility. I sent him this recipe, and said that he needed to make the mix, use three cups in a 9×13 pan, and then follow the directions.
    He felt like he could handle that. When I got home, the brownies were in the oven! I asked what he had done with the rest of the mix…and of course he had no idea what I was talking about. Yep, he used the whole mix and then made it up according to your 9×13 instructions. Then I looked in the oven…he had used a 7×11 pan. So, we baked the brownies a lot longer than intended, and when it came time to cut them, they were well beyond moist. 😉 But there was no time to make changes, so he brought them as-is. Amazingly, they tasted great! Like a cross between brownies and fudge! Just thought you might like to know that even when you fail to follow the directions, they’re still pretty delicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 31st, 2015 at 6:44 am

That’s great to know! My husband has done that too, with frosting. I wondered why it was soupy and he just added ALL the milk at once! Ha!

24. Pingback: Christmas Basket On A Budget! | Faith In Every Day | Glorifying God In Everything We Do, Every Day.

25. Pingback: How to Sew a Kitchen Curtains & My Favorite, Quick Late Night Treat | Faith In Every Day | Glorifying God In Everything We Do, Every Day.

26. Emma posted on May 5, 2015 at 6:22 am (#)

Oh!! What have you done to meeee??!! I made a small (thankfully) batch of your brownies using your brownie mix. So gooey and squidy. It would be fair to say: they are all gone!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2015 at 6:51 am

I’m so glad you like them Emma! Whenever I make them they’re gone in a flash too!

27. Pingback: happy weekend | almost makes perfect

28. Pingback: Fun Friday: Crazy for Crust’s Homemade Brownie Mix | The Whole bag of Chips