Mar 30

Quick Cinnamon Rolls {small batch}

I love making homemade cinnamon rolls. But I’m impatient and hate waiting.

That’s why this recipe is perfect. If you’re as impatient as I am, these quick cinnamon rolls are made in one hour. And the recipe makes the perfect amount: 6 sinfully good cinnamon rolls!

These Small Batch Cinnamon Rolls are on your table in under one hour! Quick and sinful, just like they should be.

If you know me, you probably know I’m suuuuuuuuper impatient. My mom tried to teach me to crochet about 1.2 million times before she gave up. Same with sewing. I want what I want and I want it NOW.

Kind of like at the gym. I want to walk to the bathroom and back quickly so I can start my workout. But then I get behind the slow walkers. You know who I’m talking about? The person that walks right in the middle of the aisle, or the pair that are spread out so you cannot pass. And they walk about 1 mile per hour?

Dude, you’re at the gym. Speed it up a little!

Anyway, I want to get where I’m going quickly. I don’t like waiting.

That’s why these cinnamon rolls are perfect for me. And if you’re like me and totally hate waiting alllllllll day for yeast to rise, this quick cinnamon roll recipe is for you.

From start to finish these rolls are made in under one hour. Yup – one hour. If you want, you can actually make them for breakfast without getting up at 3am or working all day the day before!

A few weeks ago I posted my small batch dinner roll recipe, which was derived from this 45 minute dinner roll recipe. I’ve wondered for awhile if that method could be used to make cinnamon rolls.

Guess what? It can!

I used the small batch recipe, because I wanted a small batch of cinnamon rolls. My normal cinnamon roll recipe makes 9 large rolls (or 12 medium sized). We are a family of 3. If I make 9 large rolls Jordan and I will eat them until they’re gone. Moral of the story: I don’t need a large batch.

This recipe makes 6 regular sized cinnamon rolls. They’re about the size of the ones from the can. I think, for most families, 6 is the perfect number. But you can double the recipe if not (and they’ll still take under 1 hour!)

Like in the 45 minute dinner roll recipes, this yeasted dough has lots of yeast to make it rise fast. I use Red Star Active Dry Yeast because I can find it at my grocery store and it’s my favorite. You add the yeast, sugar, and warm water (think bathwater) to the bowl of your stand mixer and let it sit for 15 minutes. It’ll get all frothy and awesome (see here for a visual).

While the yeast is proofing, you make your filling from butter, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Try not to eat the filling. It’s hard, I know.

Once you roll out your dough and spread it with filling, you roll the cinnamon rolls up and cut into 6 pieces. Place them in the pan and let them sit for 5 minutes before baking. Then pop them in the oven and make your frosting.

Let’s talk about the frosting for a second? Anyone else agree it’s the best part of the roll besides the gooey center? This frosting is made with cream cheese and melted butter and maple syrup. It’s the bomb. Make it.

These rolls are so good. And they’re fast!!

Perfect for you impatient people like me.

The only problem with this recipe? They’re so easy I can make them every day.

Quick Cinnamon Rolls {small batch}

Yield: 6 rolls

Cinnamon rolls in one hour, yes it can be done! And this recipe makes a perfect 6 rolls - great for when you need a small batch.

Dough
  • 1/2 cup warm water (30 seconds in the microwave; think hot bathwater)
  • 1 tablespoons sugar
  • Frosting
  • 2 ounces cream cheese, very soft
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a small 7” pie plate (or other similar sized pan) with cooking spray.
  2. Place the water, sugar, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes. It will be very frothy when your timer rings!
  3. While you wait, make the filling. Stir all ingredients for filling together in a small bowl with a fork. Set aside.
  4. Mix in the salt and butter using the paddle, until the butter breaks up into the mixture. Switch to the dough hook and add the flour. Start on “Stir” for a few seconds, until the flour starts to incorporate. Switch to “2” for about 30 seconds and then kick it up to “3” until the dough completely comes together. You know it’s done when all of the dough will join to form a ball and the sides of the bowl are almost clean (no dough left). If your dough is too wet, add an additional tablespoon or two of flour.
  5. Roll out dough to a rectangle that’s about 9x11” or so. Spread with the filling. I find it’s easiest to drop little pieces of the filling all over the dough and then smooth with your hands. Spray your hands with cooking spray first so the butter mixture doesn’t stick.
  6. Roll up the dough into a tight roll. Cut into 6 equal slices with a serrated knife. Place in prepared pan.
  7. Let rest for 5 more minutes.
  8. Bake for about 13-15 minutes, until the tops start to get golden.
  9. While baking, make the frosting. Place cream cheese and melted butter in a small bowl. The cream cheese needs to be soft enough to stir into the butter. You can microwave it for a few seconds if it’s not soft enough. Whisk the cream cheese and butter together, then whisk in powdered sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Frost rolls, serve warm.
  10. The rolls will last at room temperature for 2-3 days. The frosting can also stay on the counter for the same amount of time, or you can refrigerate it.

Gingerbread Spice Cinnamon Rolls

Gingerbread Spice Cinnamon Rolls (3 of 4)w

Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls

carrot cake cinnamon rolls

Zucchini Cinnamon Rolls

zucchini cinnamon rolls (2 of 7)w

Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls

peanut butter cinnamon rolls (3 of 7)w

Check out my round up of Over 70 Cinnamon Roll Recipes!

One Hour Cinnamon Rolls by Averie Cooks
Cinnamon Rolls by Something Swanky
Cinnamon Roll French Toast Bake by Kitchen Meets Girl
Easy Cinnamon Roll Recipe (gluten-free option) by Love from the Oven

40 Responses to “Quick Cinnamon Rolls {small batch}”

1. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on March 30, 2014 at 6:20 am (#)

Love the idea of these quick cinnamon rolls! Thanks for sharing!

2. Layla @ Brunch Time Baker posted on March 30, 2014 at 6:34 am (#)

These are the perfect rolls for making in the morning before school or work! They look so delicious!

3. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on March 30, 2014 at 9:42 am (#)

These look delicious! And I’m with you about waiting, I get so impatient too! I love that this is a quick recipe!

4. Ellen@BakeItWithBooze posted on March 30, 2014 at 9:58 am (#)

Oh, yeah! Amazing in less than an hour! These look so good…Thanks for sharing your tips on easy and fast cinnamon rolls. :)

5. Mom posted on March 30, 2014 at 10:48 am (#)

These look wonderful. I’m thinking about heading for the kitchen now!

6. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on March 30, 2014 at 12:26 pm (#)

These look sublime! You have solve two of my biggest problems with making cinnamon rolls: the time and the quantity. Because, let’s be honest, I can’t resist a second, or third or fourth cinnamon roll if they are sitting there on the counter and I KNOW they won’t be as good, or as warm and gooey the next day. So my hectic schedule and my waistline thank you, Dorothy!

7. Jenn@eatcakefordinner posted on March 30, 2014 at 12:31 pm (#)

Oh my gosh, girl!! Your pics totally capture how ooey, gooey and divine these are. I so want one right now.

8. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on March 30, 2014 at 4:10 pm (#)

I’m super impatient too so these cinnamon rolls are PERFECT!!! I love how classic and delicious they look, but they’re SO quick! amazing!

9. Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! posted on March 30, 2014 at 4:29 pm (#)

I totally agree – the frosting is the best part of cinnamon rolls. I love pouring it on and tasting it on top of perfectly warm cinnamon rolls. There’s nothing like it. I can’t even tell you how impatient I am, so these rolls were definitely made for me :). Looks super delicious!!

10. Laurie F. posted on March 30, 2014 at 4:35 pm (#)

Yea! You are a genius! Like Steve Jobs, you gave us something we didn’t know we needed. My family will be thrilled! I hardly ever make cinnamon rolls because of how long they take, but now……

11. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on March 30, 2014 at 4:39 pm (#)

I am loving that they’re quick AND small batch. The best kind of roll recipe :) pinned

12. Pat posted on March 30, 2014 at 4:53 pm (#)

I love having the ability to make a smaller batch of rolls! If they’re around, then I’m tempted. :) Making a small amount is fine for 2-3 people.

Just an fyi ~ in the commentary, you included the flour with the filling ingredients. It’s ok in the printed recipe.

xo
    Pat

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2014 at 6:53 am

Yes, there is flour in the filling. It helps it not leak out all over the pan!

13. Kayla posted on March 30, 2014 at 5:06 pm (#)

Oh… wow. I love gooey-sticky sweet things, and this fit’s that perfectly. I can almost taste it just by looking!

14. michael posted on March 30, 2014 at 6:21 pm (#)

I love cinnamon rolls, nice that this recipe is quick one, I am oh so really impatient too ! They look delicious!

Michael

15. Kiley- Rooks to Cooks posted on March 30, 2014 at 6:49 pm (#)

These look so good! I love that they are quick and just the right size for smaller portions :)
    Also, with all of the cinnamon rolls posted at the bottom, I know what I’m making these next few weekends!!

16. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life posted on March 30, 2014 at 7:37 pm (#)

Patience is definitely not my strong point either. I can’t believe these only take an hour! Whew, you’ve saved me from a3am alarm!

17. cheri savory spoon posted on March 30, 2014 at 9:00 pm (#)

Beautiful rolls, I can’t believe it takes only a hour, that’s amazing. Great pics!

18. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on March 30, 2014 at 10:27 pm (#)

Ohymygosh I’m the exact same way with slow walkers!! The ones at the mall are the worst. Everyone is leisurely walking around, nibbling on their Aunt Annies or Mrs Fields, peering inside their shopping bags, and I just want to get from store to store to dressing room to cashier to store to my car as fast as humanly possible. I have to treat it like Disneyland — I weave out of everyone so quickly there! ;) We should totally eat cinnamon rolls together sometimes. I always skip the icing on top (it’s my justification for eating extra rolls), so you could have all mine and we’d both be happy!

19. Medeja posted on March 31, 2014 at 3:09 am (#)

Thanks for this great recipe! Must try. I like that they are quick to prepare :)

20. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on March 31, 2014 at 7:23 am (#)

Sometimes you just don’t need 3 pans of cinnamon rolls! I love making mini cinnamon rolls for the same reason, to reduce how many I inhale.

21. Kelly - LIfe made Sweeter posted on April 1, 2014 at 7:00 am (#)

Haha, slow walkers drive me bonkers especially the ones that travel in large packs and walk side by side taking up the whole walkway. These look fantastic Dorothy! I am obsessed with cinnamon rolls and totally love that these are quick and make a small batch since I am usually the one that polishes whatever is left in the pans. Yum and pinning :)

22. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on April 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm (#)

When we’re talking about stuffing my face with a warm and sweet cinnamon roll, I’m super impatient too!

23. Jasmine posted on April 4, 2014 at 8:14 pm (#)

What happens if you don’t put yeast in?

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 5th, 2014 at 5:04 pm

They won’t rise. I’m assuming they’d be more like a biscuit dough? But I’m not sure, I’ve never made cinnamon rolls without yeast (unless I use Crescent Rolls!)

24. Emily @ Life on Food posted on April 8, 2014 at 5:19 am (#)

Oh man these look good. I am impatient too and think the exact same evil thoughts at slow gym walkers. Come on! Loving that this is a small batch. Cinnamon rolls are my weakness. I will consume the whole batch right out of the oven.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 8th, 2014 at 7:25 am

I had to restrain myself not too!!!

25. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on April 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm (#)

These sound perfect. I’m impatient, too. That’s why I never make cake pops. Too many steps between me and cake.

26. Kristyn posted on April 15, 2014 at 11:27 am (#)

These look heavenly!!

27. Yari posted on May 15, 2014 at 6:43 pm (#)

When u put the yeast in the mixer, you just leave it in there for 15minutes or mix it for 15 minutes then add butter?

28. Mary Ellen/ Whisk Together posted on May 16, 2014 at 2:03 pm (#)

These were delicious! Next time I will try bread flour. So yummy and chewy. But boy these are fast!!

29. Pingback: One Hour Cinnamon Rolls

30. Tashiana posted on June 3, 2014 at 11:22 pm (#)

Oh my god. I know I have just spammed about 3 of your other recipes with peanut butter and chocolate drool…but I mean it now…I am sold on these. You are a wizard.
    I have never made cinnamon buns before but these look so much easier than I think I am making them out to be. AH can’t decide what to make first!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 4th, 2014 at 6:27 am

You can do it! They’re SO easy. Thanks so much!!!

31. Melissa @ Bless this Mess posted on September 2, 2014 at 9:10 pm (#)

This is some seriously dangerous knowledge. I love my mom’s recipe but it makes like a million. I’m excited to give these a go this week! Big fan of the small batch when it comes to things like this :) Thanks lady!