May 05

Salted Butterscotch Fudge

Move over salted caramel…salted butterscotch is in town. This Salted Butterscotch Fudge is sweet, rich, and perfect with a hint of salt.

Salted-Butterscotch-Fudge (1 of 4)w

Have you ever tasted something and just said, “Holy OMG this is the most genius thing I’ve ever eaten?”

Yeah, that happened to me when I was at Bloggy Boot Camp a few weeks ago. I met Melissa, from The Baked Equation. She runs a bakery in Arizona and she brought me cookies, some of the best cookies I’ve ever had: a shortbread cookie with salted butterscotch on top.

Seriously – they blew my mind. Salt and butterscotch is better than – I’m gonna say it, yes I am – salted caramel.

When I got home I was out of cookies, sad, depressed, and then determined. I needed salted butterscotch again and I needed it pronto.

So I made fudge. Because that’s logical, right?

Salted-Butterscotch-Fudge (3 of 4)

I love making easy fudge. You know, chips of some sort (chocolate, white, butterscotch, whatever) and sweetened condensed milk. It’s SO good, you don’t need a candy thermometer and tons of ingredients, and it comes together in under 10 minutes.

This easy fudge uses butterscotch chips. 3 cups get mixed with the sweetened condensed milk and a little butter so the end product doesn’t get too firm.

I think that butterscotch and pecans go hand-in-hand (like in these hand pies) so I added some toasted pecans. I love toasted pecans in anything really. Just be really careful when you’re cooking them (either on the stovetop or in the oven) because they burn really quickly. And, if you’re not careful you’ll be picking black pecan bits out of the bowl because, well, you only had 1 cup of pecans left in the house and by golly you’re not going to the store again. So, yeah. Watch them!

Salted-Butterscotch-Fudge (4 of 4)

Once everything melts together, you pour it into your prepared pan. It starts to harden really quickly, so as soon as you pour, sprinkle some sea salt on top. You can also use kosher salt if you don’t have sea salt.

Funny story: I guess sea salt comes in grinders, not  shakers. I wish I would have known that before I took everything but the blowtorch to the sea salt bottle to get it open. So, you know. In case you’ve never bought it before…it might be a grinder. So the top doesn’t come off.

Anyway, add some of that salt on top, then let it firm up. Then enjoy, and be sure to give 99.9% away. Or you might find yourself eating 8 several pieces before realizing the bowl is empty.

Salt + Butterscotch = Oh Em Amazing.

Salted-Butterscotch-Fudge (2 of 4)

Try it. You’ll see. You can thank Melissa. It’s all her fault.

Salted Butterscotch Fudge

Yield: About 50-60 small fudge pieces.

Salted Butterscotch Fudge

Salt and butterscotch meet to form an amazing Salted Butterscotch Fudge!

• 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 3 cups butterscotch chips
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or kosher salt)

1. Line a 9”x9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Toast your pecans in a small frying pan over low heat. Stir continuously, and do not walk away. It will take just a minute or two, and they burn very fast. As soon as you smell them, remove them from the heat and place on a plate or a cookie sheet to cool.
  3. Place butterscotch chips, butter, and sweetened condensed milk in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir until all three are melted together. Keep the heat on low and do not walk away!
  4. Once the butterscotch, butter, and milk are melted together, remove from heat and stir in vanilla and pecans. Pour into prepared pan. Immediately sprinkle with salt. Let cool until room temperature, then refrigerate until firm.

I love fudge! Check out my Fudge Pinterest Board!

Amaretto Fudge

amaretto fudge 2 words

Reese’s Fudge

reeses-fudge05-1w

Banana Butterscotch Cake by The Baked Equation
Pumpkin Pie Fudge with Nutella and Marshmallow Swirl by Something Swanky
Nutella Caramel Pretzel Fudge by Lemons for Lulu
Quick and Easy Peanut Butter Fudge by A Kitchen Addiction

75 Responses to “Salted Butterscotch Fudge”

1. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on May 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm (#)

Melissa is the best – her cookie skills are phenomenal! I haven’t had the pleasure of trying one of her cookies, but they sound amazing – just like this fudge!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Thanks Jennifer!

2. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious posted on May 5, 2013 at 12:45 pm (#)

Ooo yeah, I’m a fudge lover and butterscotch is always awesome!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Thanks Gerry!

3. Wendy posted on May 5, 2013 at 1:57 pm (#)

If this delicious fudge was the only inspiration you got at Bloggy Boot Camp it would have been worth it! I had to laugh at your grinder struggle. I did the same thing with some pink himalayan salt from Trader Joe’s . I was about to take a hammer to it when my son came along and calmly ground out some salt! Sometimes the obvious isn’t obvious! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:16 pm

LOL, glad I’m not the only one! :) Thanks Wendy!

4. Melissa posted on May 5, 2013 at 2:59 pm (#)

Thank you so much for your kind words!! Your FUDGE looks amazing!! I am telling you while salted caramel is on all the rage, salted butterscotch is a hidden gem.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:16 pm

OMG it so totally is. Thank you for introducing me to it!

6. Christi @ Love From The Oven posted on May 5, 2013 at 3:30 pm (#)

Shut the front door. Yes please.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Thanks Christi!!!

7. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life posted on May 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm (#)

Oh yes, I have had WAAAY too many moments of “this is amazing!” (Harmless thus far) and then “can I have your recipe?” Red alert! I go home, make it, and eat 99.9 percent of it instead of giving that ratio away. Bad habit. But a delicious one! These would be the same way. Like majorly. I really like how clear the salt is in your photos, really crisp and pretty. Looks WAAAY too good, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Thanks Mary!

8. Tiffany posted on May 5, 2013 at 4:18 pm (#)

This sounds FANTASTIC. Oh my goodness! And so easy… YES!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Thanks Tiffany!

9. Back for Seconds posted on May 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm (#)

Such a fun idea! I am not a huge butterscotch fan because I think it’s too sweet, but with sea salt? I need to try this!

10. Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs posted on May 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm (#)

Dorothy, this recipe looks out of control delicious! We love butterscotch and will have to try this one soon!

11. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on May 5, 2013 at 6:05 pm (#)

I love butterscotch and used it in 3 or 4 recent recipes b/c I made a pact with myself a few months ago to use it more…and I did :) An easy pact to live up to. haha!

Your fudge is no doubt rich and sweet – perfect for me!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 6th, 2013 at 5:50 am

Thanks Averie!

12. Tieghan posted on May 5, 2013 at 6:14 pm (#)

Holy yum is right! I love butterscotch but never use it!! Oh this looks so good and I love easy fudge! I mean we are busy people and sometime we just need a quick piece of fudge!! Awesome Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 6th, 2013 at 5:50 am

Thanks Tieghan!

13. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on May 5, 2013 at 6:15 pm (#)

OMG those look amazing. Butterscotch is such the underdog flavor, but I love it! I need to use it more….soon.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 6th, 2013 at 5:50 am

Me too! :) Thanks Aimee!

14. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on May 5, 2013 at 6:17 pm (#)

Butterscotch is one of those flavors that I just love when paired with something else. Salt sounds amazing on it! I love this quick and easy fudge!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 6th, 2013 at 5:49 am

Thanks Jocelyn!

15. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat posted on May 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm (#)

This fudge sounds delicious and sounds amazingly easy to make! Love it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 6th, 2013 at 5:49 am

Thanks Holly!

16. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on May 5, 2013 at 7:40 pm (#)

I am LOVING this fudge! Anything salty/sweet is right up my alley. And butterscotch is one of my favorites, too. Dorthy I need to go check out your fudge board!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 6th, 2013 at 5:49 am

Thanks Sally!

17. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on May 5, 2013 at 8:21 pm (#)

Butterscotch is a favorite, I have never tried it salted … great idea!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 6th, 2013 at 5:48 am

Thanks Brenda!

18. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on May 5, 2013 at 9:06 pm (#)

Oh my golly I love how easy this is! I am so glad I’m not scared of sweetened condensed milk anymore because I’ve been craving some fudge and I’m glad I know how easy fudge can be now!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 6th, 2013 at 5:48 am

Easy fudge is the best! Thanks Faith!

19. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on May 5, 2013 at 9:47 pm (#)

Wow these DO look incredible!! Make me some, yes? :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 6th, 2013 at 5:48 am

Happily Kristi! :)

20. Kelly @ HIdden Fruits and Veggies posted on May 6, 2013 at 5:35 am (#)

I always feel like butterscotch gets the short end of the stick– it’s just as tasty (if not more so!) than caramel. This fudge sounds amazing! I might have to make some for my mom for mother’s day :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 6th, 2013 at 5:47 am

Enjoy Kelly, thanks!

21. Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner posted on May 6, 2013 at 7:07 am (#)

I love making fudge around the holidays because they make great gifts. But I may have to try these bad boys much sooner than December!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 7th, 2013 at 9:49 am

Thanks Tina!

22. tanya posted on May 6, 2013 at 8:24 am (#)

If I ever have the choice between butterscotch and any other flavor, I always choose butterscotch! I love this fudge Dorothy, love the addition of salt! Thanks for sharing my Nutella Fudge too!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 7th, 2013 at 9:49 am

Thanks Tanya!

23. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on May 6, 2013 at 8:43 am (#)

This looks AH-MAZ-ING and super simple which makes it all the more mind blowing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 7th, 2013 at 9:48 am

Thanks Julie!

24. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on May 6, 2013 at 8:49 am (#)

I am always uneasy when it comes to making fudge. You make it seem so easy and delicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 7th, 2013 at 9:48 am

THanks Nancy!

25. mr. & Mrs. P posted on May 6, 2013 at 9:13 am (#)

Flawless as always.. We have never made fudge before, but we sure know how to eat it.. lol.. Need to try these out.. Maybe well add it to our Mothers day brunch spread….

26. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on May 6, 2013 at 9:15 am (#)

Oh, hello there. I would like to eat you now! Salted butterscotch is the bees knees!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 7th, 2013 at 9:48 am

Thanks Hayley!

27. katie posted on May 6, 2013 at 11:08 am (#)

Ummm this is pretty life changing my friend. It looks so good!

28. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on May 6, 2013 at 2:14 pm (#)

The salt sounds like a perfect way to balance out the sweetness of the butterscotch!
    Thanks for mentioning my pb fudge!

29. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen posted on May 6, 2013 at 2:51 pm (#)

Oh wow, salted butterscotch – I need to try this! Your fudge looks amazing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 7th, 2013 at 9:46 am

Thanks Rosie!

30. Kristin posted on May 6, 2013 at 3:46 pm (#)

I stop reading blogs for like a day and this is what I miss. WOW! Salted fudge is so underrated. It takes dessert to the next level.

31. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking posted on May 6, 2013 at 6:35 pm (#)

I think we should be neighbors. Since I saw this fudge on Google+ I can not stop thinking about it. I want fudge and then I want to make more treats with salted butterscotch. Sounds so good!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 7th, 2013 at 6:26 am

That would be SO cool, if we were neighbors!!! :)

32. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on May 7, 2013 at 4:28 pm (#)

Those cookies were totally amazing and I am so glad you found a way to recreate that experience :) Can’t wait to get this fudge in my mouth!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 8th, 2013 at 6:30 am

Thanks Trish!

33. carrian posted on May 8, 2013 at 6:52 am (#)

you’re so good at the whole fudge thing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 8th, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Thanks carrian!

34. Desi posted on May 8, 2013 at 7:20 am (#)

I’ll take a batch of every fudge on this page! I’m a sucker for salted sweets :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 8th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Me too! Thanks Desi!

35. kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor posted on May 9, 2013 at 8:40 pm (#)

Oh my, Dorothy!! You’ve done it again…love the addition of salt to sweet. Sounds fantastic!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 10th, 2013 at 5:41 am

Thanks Kristi!

36. Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil posted on May 11, 2013 at 6:09 am (#)

This is such a fabulous combo! Love it, love it!

37. Pingback: Salted Butterscotch Pudding

38. Pingback: 25 Delicious Butterscotch Recipes

39. Dianna posted on November 25, 2013 at 10:38 pm (#)

I’m used to making my fudge with lots of butter, evaporated milk, sugar, marshmallow and choco chips because I like the creaminess and the fudge doesn’t necessarily get too hard, depending upon how long you cook it and how much marshmallow is added. Do you think I could swap out the choco chips and use butterscotch chips and have it turn out as yummy as these look? I love butterscotch and the idea of butterscotch fudge has me drooling already!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 26th, 2013 at 7:13 am

I don’t see why not!! Try it and let me know how it goes!

40. Pingback: Festive Fudge: Salted bourbon-butterscotch fudge | So hungry I could blog

41. Ali posted on January 7, 2014 at 1:17 pm (#)

I tried this recipe and it was so runny, I froze it to get it to solidify. But it still wasn’t good. I threw the whole batch out. Any idea why it didn’t set? I followed the directions. Did I not let it cook long enough? I was really disappointed.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 7th, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I’m so sorry Ali! I’ve never had that problem with a basic fudge like this. Did you use the full 3 cups of butterscotch chips? What brand did you use? Normally 3 cups of chips makes it harden good. Let me know what brands you used.

• Ali replied on January 11th, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I used two bags of Nestle chips and Eagle brand milk. I couldn’t find a 14 oz can so I bought 3 5 oz cans.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 12th, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Hmm. That’s so strange! It’s pretty much the same recipe I always use. I guess some times the fudge gods are just not with us; sometimes even weather can affect it. Sorry about that!

42. Pingback: Salted Butterscotch Brownies {bloglovin giveaway} - Crazy for Crust

43. Pingback: Cashew Butterscotch Pudding Cookies - Crazy for Crust