May 27

Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Tops

Happy Memorial Day! Whatcha all up too?

Wait, what? You’re not reading blogs on your day off?

Well then, you’re missing out on probably the easiest Memorial Day treat ever.

To be perfectly honest, I never usually make red, white, and blue treats for Memorial Day. I never thought about it, really, until we went to a BBQ last year thrown by a military family.

Then I kinda got it. I’m slow that way.

Anyway, this is a super simple idea to dress up your dessert table tomorrow. In case you haven’t set your menu down to the last morsel.

{I mean, not everyone is as anal as I am. I don’t think.}

This idea totally came from two of my favorite blogs, BruCrew Life (Mini Brownie Fruit Pizzas) and Shugary Sweets (Carrot Cake Muffin Tops). In their recipes, they used a muffin top pan to make muffins or brownies. When I saw each of those posts, I was totally sad and ready to throw a fit that I didn’t have a muffin top pan.

And then I realized I did have a Whoopie Pie Pan. You know, the one I’ve never made whoopie pies in?

I was making some chocolate cupcakes and had some batter left over. So I baked it up in my whoopie pie pan.

Then I topped them with blue buttercream, Cool Whip, and strawberries. To make the more patriotic.

And, stop right there young ladies. No need to have a tantrum of your own if you don’t have a whoopie pie or a muffin top pan. This method of decoration would work perfectly well with regular cupcakes. I just happen to think making them in a special pan makes them special.

{Blogger Rule #4: Special pans make your treats more magical and glittery.}

Totally easy peasy. Which is perfect for a busy holiday weekend when you have so much to do, like swim and drink cocktails.

Enjoy!

Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Tops
by Crazy for Crust
Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Tops

• 1 box cake mix (white or chocolate) plus ingredients to make cupcakes
  • 1 can of white frosting (or your favorite recipe)
  • Blue food coloring
  • 1 container Cool Whip, defrosted (you will not need the whole thing)
  • 1 package strawberries, hulled and sliced in half

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Spray your whoopie pie or muffin top pan with cooking spray and fill about 1/2 full with batter. Bake about 10-15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Repeat for remaining batter. Let cool before frosting.
  2. Tint your white frosting the desired color blue. Frost the top of each cupcake top. Top with a dollop of Cool Whip and a sliced strawberry.
*Note: one entire cake mix will make a lot of cupcake tops, which will result in you going back and forth with your one pan to your oven. This is a great method if you have some extra batter left over from cupcakes, so you don’t make as many tops.*

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!

Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI’m Lovin’ it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluckand all of these too!

63 Responses to “Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Tops”

1. Pamela posted on May 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm (#)

This dessert looks so good, you gave me an idea for my dessert for out cookout tomorrow, love this. Thanks for sharing.

2. Robin @ Bird On A Cake posted on May 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm (#)

I have to admit, I did not know muffin top pans existed. What a great idea! My son would especially love them, since he only eats the tops off cupcakes. :0)

3. Erin posted on May 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm (#)

These look fantastic! Is a whoopie pie pan a muffin top pan? Because I have one of those and it never occurred to me that I could make whoopie pies in it. Um, hello?! Of maybe it’s a different pan and I’m clueless….

4. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on May 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm (#)

How fun! Looks wonderful for the weekend!

5. sugarswings posted on May 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm (#)

great way to use up the leftovers! love the idea :)

6. Michelle posted on May 27, 2012 at 7:17 pm (#)

i love the way you write Dorothy! always brings a smile to my face! :)

7. Kristin posted on May 27, 2012 at 8:14 pm (#)

The more frosting, the better! I’d put this topping on sugar cookies!

8. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on May 27, 2012 at 8:28 pm (#)

Oooh, I love these!! Hee, I totally understand the “need” for special baking pans! =)

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 28th, 2012 at 7:19 am

Glad I have company in that one Ashley! Thanks so much and have a great holiday! :)

9. Nicola posted on May 28, 2012 at 5:14 am (#)

So cute and easy to whip up! These really are the perfect treat for Memorial Day.

10. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on May 28, 2012 at 5:17 am (#)

LOL so fun, I totally never wanted a whoopie pie pan until I read how others used them for cookies and stuff, then I totally needed one!

11. Something Swanky posted on May 28, 2012 at 6:16 am (#)

cute, cute, cute!

12. Julie posted on May 28, 2012 at 7:07 am (#)

Great idea!! Loving it :)

The Farm Girl

13. Elizabeth posted on May 28, 2012 at 7:34 am (#)

Cupcake tops are my favorite!

14. lizy b posted on May 28, 2012 at 8:41 am (#)

I have walked past the whoopie pie on the sale rack at sur la table a jillion times! I knew I’d never get around to whoopie pies….but I would totally make cupcake tops!!! The perfect ratio of cupcake to frosting!!! Brilliant my friend! and now I have a reason to head back to sur la table!!!!

15. Anonymous posted on May 28, 2012 at 10:11 am (#)

Miam! These look amazing! And I like the ‘patriotic’ look with the blue, red and white! Being from Quebec, Canada, I think I’m gonna work on my patriotic version by adding a Quebec flavor with some Organic maple Syrup. I’ll try to find a Maple syrup preparation and try this out. I’ll keep you posted! (by the way, should you sometimes work with Maple Syrup, I suggest you to try the Rouge Maple one, only available online). Bon appetit!

16. Hayley posted on May 28, 2012 at 11:23 am (#)

I tooootally need a whoopie pie pan so I can A) make these, obvi; B) make other yummy treats like deep dish cookies and um, whoopie pies; and C) so I can be magical and glittery too. These are so cute!

17. Trish - Sweetology101 posted on May 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm (#)

This is a real creative idea for something tasty and patriotic! You never cease to amaze that is for sure!

18. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on May 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm (#)

Oh niiiiceee! I love how you’ve made these out of leftover batter. Loving the colours, so patriotic! The strawberry is the perfect touch.

I so need myself a whoopie pie pan so I can make these.

-Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

19. Dip It In Chocolate posted on May 28, 2012 at 3:52 pm (#)

Haha, I have never used my whoopie pan for whoopie pies either. Blogger rule #4… can totally testify to that!

20. Deb@CookingOnTheFrontBurner posted on May 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm (#)

These are amazing and so festive…just saw you on Mix it up Monday…

21. Jocelyn posted on May 28, 2012 at 10:00 pm (#)

Fun baking pans are definitely more magical:-) What a fun and awesome dessert idea!!! I love the contrast of colors with the chocolate whoopie pie. Now you have me wanting to break my pan out again. Thanks for the fun mention to my brownies too:-) Awesome surprise!!!!

22. madge | the vegetarian casserole queen posted on May 29, 2012 at 2:32 am (#)

I love these patriotic treats! And I’m thrilled to learn whoopie pie pans exist, but as a Pennsylvanian I’m ashamed to even admit that I didn’t know about them and also that I’ve never made them.

Thanks for all the eye opening tips!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 29th, 2012 at 2:13 pm

You’re welcome! It’s just another pan to take up space, but which I have recently learned I can’t live without, LOL. :)

23. Lisa posted on May 29, 2012 at 6:49 am (#)

Love this! Like the last comment, I am from PA and didn’t know that whoopie pans existed. These look absolutely adorable! I will keep them in mind for the 4th of July! :-) Thanks for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday!”

24. Liz & Holley posted on May 29, 2012 at 7:49 am (#)

These are great! I love that they’re just bite size. Thanks for linking up at Tasty Tuesday!

25. Jessica posted on May 29, 2012 at 7:52 am (#)

So yummy and cute!

26. Ellen posted on May 29, 2012 at 10:47 am (#)

I need these today as it’s my first day back at work after a week of vacation! I NEED these NOW! ;)

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 29th, 2012 at 2:15 pm

LOL, good luck back at work Ellen! Sugar will surely get you through. And vodka. ;)

27. Kaylee posted on May 29, 2012 at 10:53 am (#)

So cute and such an easy idea for a holiday dessert. I see myself making this with lots of different color schemes : )

Thanks for linking up at Mealtime Monday!

28. Kristi posted on May 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm (#)

So fun & patriotic! So glad you linked up to the party. Featuring you today at the Patriotic Round-Up! {http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/05/patriotic-round-up-get-ready-for-summer.html#}

Thanks bunches for stopping by & visiting!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

29. pinkoddy posted on June 1, 2012 at 8:04 am (#)

Yummy – and I like how they have strawberries to make them healthier :O)

30. SerenaB posted on June 1, 2012 at 11:32 am (#)

These are perfect for the fourth! I need a whoopie pan pan! So very cute! Thanks for stopping by sweetie and linking up! You left me feeling festive for the 4th! Have a fabulous weekend!

31. Tonia L posted on June 2, 2012 at 5:08 pm (#)

Just stopping by to let you know that you’ve been featured at The Gunny Sack! http://www.thegunnysack.com/2012/06/who-was-stuffed-in-gunny-sack-week-39.html

32. TidyMom posted on June 3, 2012 at 8:01 am (#)

So fun and festive!!
    Thanks for linking up. I featured your post in my wrap up! http://tidymom.net/2012/12-summer-recipes-wallpapers/ Have a great rest of the weekend!

33. Emily posted on June 4, 2012 at 5:15 am (#)

BEAUTIFUL!!!! this is so festive! I will be featuring you at this coming weeks Tasty Tuesday Party. stop by and grab a featured button (if you don’t already have one!)Thanks for linking! http://www.nap-timecreations.com/

34. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on June 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm (#)

I don’t have a super special pan but I guess I need to get one :) These are so pretty! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

35. Talitha posted on June 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm (#)

Man! Dream come true! JUST THE TOPS!! Amazing! I love it! Can you send some to me in Colorado!? They look delicious! http://www.lovepomegrantehouse.com

36. odetoinspiration posted on June 30, 2012 at 7:03 am (#)

Wow those look so yummy!! And the beautiful presentation makes them a must have!!

37. Pingback: Easy Dessert: Red White and Blue Cupcake Tops | Dollar Store Mom Frugal Fun – Crafts for Kids

38. Pingback: 40 Amazing 4th of July Desserts - A Helicopter Mom

39. Pingback: Fun for the Fourth | Laura Dickey

40. Billy posted on April 25, 2014 at 10:58 pm (#)

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot.
    I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

41. Katie posted on May 23, 2014 at 9:40 pm (#)

First time I’ve read your blog; hysterical!

You cracked me up, while also making me want a special pan.

Well done. Well. Done.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 24th, 2014 at 6:56 am

Ha, thanks! And you can use regular cupcakes if you don’t have the special pan! :)

42. Pingback: 29 Fun And Easy Fourth-Of-July Treats Your Kids Will Love | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

43. Pingback: 25 Easy and Fun 4th of July Recipes, Fourth July Recipe Ideas