Making chili doesn’t have to be an all-day project – my easy turkey chili recipe is ready to go in 30 minutes! It has beans, green chile and all the delicious chili seasonings.
This is a great 30-minute meal when you want something hearty and filling. My husband is always SO happy when he sees me making this for dinner!
I know some people take their chili really seriously but at our house my goal is getting dinner on the table most nights of the week with as little stress as possible. I take that really seriously!
So, when it comes to chili, I am all about the flavor and quick cook times and I am here to tell you – you can totally make chili with beans in 30 minutes!
Three cheers for that, right? If you are looking for a fast recipe, you’re going to love this. It’s the best turkey chili and I make whenever we get a craving for something hearty and comforting.
(You can also make this turkey chili recipe with ground beef and any kind of beans, so it really is a true pantry/freezer meal!)
Table of Contents
Homemade Chili with Pantry Ingredients
What I love best about this recipe is that most of the ingredients are ones I usually have on hand in my pantry. Add some fresh ground turkey and you’re in business. Using turkey makes this more of a healthy chili because it’s lower in fat.
- Ground turkey
- Diced onion
- Salt and pepper
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Diced green chiles
- Crushed tomatoes
- Canned black beans
- Chicken stock
Use stock in your chili to make a 30 minute meal taste like it cooked all day!PRO TIP
This is also a versatile recipe – use what you have on hand!
- Want to use ground beef instead? That works!
- Want to switch out the beans? Pinto, kidney or any kind of bean you like will work.
- Want to use vegetable or beef stock? Go right ahead!
The key is in using the stock – that little tip makes this chili taste like it cooked for hours when, in fact, it’s done in 30 minutes!!
How to Make Turkey Chili
I like to use my Dutch oven to make chili but a medium-sized pot works, too. Just place the turkey in it and break it up into pieces. Add the onion and cook them together over medium-high heat.
As the turkey cooks, continue breaking it apart so it’s crumbled. Cook it until it’s mostly cooked through and the onion is almost translucent, about five to seven minutes.
Drain off any excess fat at this point, especially if you are using ground beef. Add all of the spices and stir them into the turkey and onions. Add the green chiles, tomatoes, and beans along with the liquid from the can. Pour in the chicken stock and stir.
Cover the pot and bring the chili to a boil. Adjust the lid so it is partially covering the pot. This will allow steam to escape so your chili will reduce and thicken.
Cook the chili for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until it’s thickened and the flavors have mixed and combined. You can leave it to simmer longer, too, but just keep an eye on it so it doesn’t reduce too much.
Before you serve it be sure to taste for seasonings and add additional salt and pepper, to taste.
What Toppings Go with Chili?
You serve the chili just as it is, but adding some toppings makes it even better. Here are some ideas!
- My husband loves chopped onions and shredded cheddar cheese.
- If you like cilantro, add a sprinkle over the top of each serving. Or, you could use fresh parsley, too.
- A scoop of sour cream with some sliced green onions is so good!
- Any kind of shredded cheese you like will work – try pepper jack, Monterey jack or a combination of different kinds of cheese.
- Add some crunch with some crushed tortilla chip or corn chips.
- Add a little extra spice by adding some sliced pickled jalapeños!
You really can do what you like best so feel free to experiment. Sometimes it’s fun to lay out a bunch of toppings and let everyone choose their own.
Can I Make your Turkey Chili Recipe Ahead?
Yes! This recipe is really great for meal prep because you can easily make it ahead and portion it out for easy lunches and dinner. Chili tastes even better the day after you make it.
It will keep well in the refrigerator for three to four days. You can also freeze it for up to three months!
AND – it’s great as leftovers. Have you ever made chili potatoes? I spoon leftover chili over baked potatoes for a second meal – easy peasy!
This recipe is our go-to 30-minute chili recipe – it’s just so easy and delicious! If you’ve been looking for a new recipe to try this is definitely a must-make.
Chili Sides & Uses
- Cornbread is what my daughter always requests as a side dish when I make this chili!
- Chili Bubble Up Bake is another great way to use leftover chili.
- Tater Tot Casserole is perfect with this turkey chili recipe.
- I’ve been eating Bean Stuff Casserole my whole life – and you can use leftover chili to make it!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Turkey Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small or 1/2 medium onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can black beans or pinto or kidney beans
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Add ground turkey to a medium soup pot or dutch oven. Break up into small pieces. Add the onion and cook over medium high heat until turkey is almost cooked through and onion is almost translucent (about 5-7 minutes). Drain fat if needed.
- Add the spices to the turkey and onion mixture; stir.
- Add diced green chilies, crushed tomatoes, beans with their liquid, and chicken stock. Stir.
- Cover and bring mixture to a boil.
- Cook, stirring often, with pot partially covered, until mixture thickens and flavors meld, about 15-20 minutes (longer if desired).
- Add additional salt, pepper and/or cayenne as desired.
- Serve hot with chopped onions and cheddar cheese.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
My Turkey Chili recipe is the perfect easy dinner recipe! This is an easy 30 minute meal that’s perfect for a weeknight. Make with ground beef and your choice of beans for an easy pantry meal!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: April 15, 2020