You’ll skip the expensive take-out after you try this easy beef and broccoli! It’s a quick 30-minute dinner that has all the great flavor of the original, but made easy (and cheaper!) with ground beef and a simple savory sauce.
This is seriously one of our favorite weeknight meals – and it’s picky eater approved!
We love our Chinese take-out around here, but it can get expensive and it’s not so healthy. So, when we’re craving those flavors, I like to make a quick and easy ground beef with broccoli instead.
My recipe has a savory sauce, fresh broccoli, and beef – just like the original but lightened-up and a lot less expensive.
You don’t need a wok to make this stir-fry – a large skillet works great! While you’re making the stir-fry go ahead and make a batch of rice to serve it with and you’ll have your whole dinner ready in about 30 minutes.
Table of Contents
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Sauce
What I love about this dish is the easy stir-fry sauce. It’s savory and pairs so great with the ground beef and broccoli. It pretty much goes with anything – beef, chicken, ground turkey – so it’s great to keep the ingredients on hand whenever you want a stir fry.
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Ground ginger
How to Thicken Beef and Broccoli Sauce
The sauce is as simple as mixing all the ingredients together. The cornstarch is what thickens the sauce, so don’t skip it. If you’ve ever wondered how your take-out dishes always have a glossy-thick sauce that’s the trick!
Make this Ground Beef Broccoli Recipe in Four Easy Steps!
I like to mix up the sauce while I’m cooking the beef and broccoli. Here are the rest of the ingredients you’ll need:
- 93% lean ground beef seasoned with garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Fresh broccoli florets
- Sliced onion
Place the beef, garlic powder and salt and pepper in a large skillet and cook them together over medium heat until the beef is no longer pink. Remove the meat from the pan and drain off the excess fat.
Add the olive to the same pan and, once it’s hot, add the broccoli and onions. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook the veggies until they are crisp-tender. This should only take about five minutes. If you like your broccoli softer, cover the pan with a lid so it can steam.
At this point, while the vegetables are cooking, I like to mix up the sauce.
Once the broccoli is tender, add the cooked beef and sauce to the pan. Simmer them together for a minute or so and, once the sauce has thickened, it’s ready to serve.
We love to have this beef and broccoli with white or brown rice, but it’s great all on its own, too.
Why I Like to Use Ground Beef for this Recipe
A lot of recipes call for different kinds of beef, like flank steak. I love this recipe with flank steak but I only use it once in a while for several reasons. Ground beef is my go-to!
- First, ground beef is just easier to cook! Flank steak is delicious, but it can easily get over cooked and turn tough.
- Flank steak can be a little pricey, too, so I like to use ground beef to save some dollars.
- I like to use a leaner ground beef for this recipe to keep it healthier, too!
- Ground beef also reheats well after it’s cooked so I often make a double batch of this stir-fry so we have some easy lunches and dinners. Other cuts of beef will get over cooked once you reheat them, but ground beef holds up really well! Chill the leftovers in air-tight containers and reheat in the microwave. They’ll keep well for a few days in the fridge this way.
Try this easy beef and broccoli the next time a take-out craving hits. I think you will love it and so will your wallet – in the time it takes to order take-out you can have this easy dinner on the table!
More favorite fakeout takeout
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Ground Beef and Broccoli Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef 93% lean
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice for serving
- Place beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink. Drain fat and remove from pan.
- Add the olive oil to pan and heat through. Add the broccoli and onion and cook over medium-high heat until crisp tender, about 4-5 minutes. (If you want your broccoli softer, cover the pan to steam it.)
- Meanwhile, mix together water, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and cornstarch.
- Once the broccoli is finished cooking, add the meat back to the pan. Stir in soy sauce mixture and cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Easy Beef Broccoli stir fry is so good made with ground beef and it’s easier and healthier than with flank steak with all the flavor! This is a great fake takeout recipe that’s the perfect 30 minute meal for a weeknight dinner.
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: February 25, 2020