This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This easy spicy shrimp recipe is one our favorite weeknight meals! It’s a quick and easy 30-minute dinner that’s easy to prep and so delicious. You can use fresh or frozen shrimp to make this easy dinner and we love to serve it with pasta or rice for a complete meal.
Easy Shrimp and Peppers Dinner
This shrimp and peppers dish is an easy dinner that’s full of fresh flavors. You only need one skillet to make it and it hardly takes any time!
The shrimp are seasoned with taco seasoning and sautéed with fresh bell peppers, onion, some salsa and lime juice. I love shrimp because they’re not just delicious, but they cook so fast! We love this dinner and it’s one our favorite easy weeknight meals.
The ingredient list is short for this one and the prep is pretty minimal, too, so you can have this sautéed shrimp and peppers on the table in no time.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Spicy Shrimp and Peppers
- Peeled shrimp – I usually buy EZ Peel Shrimp to make peeling them even easier.
- Taco seasoning – Use your favorite brand. We usually use low-sodium.
- Olive oil – For the pan, or nonstick cooking spray
- Onion – Sliced. Use a yellow or white onion.
- Red and green bell peppers – You only need two and I like to use red bell pepper, which is sweeter, and a green bell pepper which is a little more bitter. I love that combination, but you can use your favorite colors so feel free to mix or match – red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers all work.
- Salsa – Use your favorite or make my homemade blender salsa.
- Lime Juice – Cuts the spicy!
How to Make my Spicy Shrimp Recipe with Peppers
- Heat some of the oil in the skillet and add the sliced onions and peppers. The best way to cook peppers is to cook them long enough so they are tender but still crisp, which doesn’t take long at all.
- Once your onions and peppers are crisp-tender, push them to one side of the pan. Add the rest of the oil in the space that you cleared. Add the shrimp and cook them until they are pink and cooked through. It only takes about 3 to 4 minutes if you’re using medium-sized shrimp.
- Add the salsa and lime juice and stir everything together. Once the salsa is heated through your spicy shrimp and peppers is ready to serve.
For a light and fresh dinner, you can serve the shrimp and peppers all on their own, but we love to make some rice or pasta to serve with them. It goes great with both and it’s an easy way to switch it up. This is such an easy dinner – I hope you love it as much as we do.
Shrimp come in all kinds of sizes and the bigger they are the longer they will take to cook. I prefer to use medium-sized shrimp for this recipe. Just be sure to buy EZ peel shrimp to make things easy!
Yes, you can use fresh or frozen shrimp! I like to use frozen shrimp because it keeps well and I always have it on hand. When frozen shrimp are on sale, I always stock up to save money.
You can thaw the shrimp in the refrigerator overnight. You can also thaw shrimp in a bowl of water. It will need at least 30 minutes to thaw. Drain and pat them dry before using.
Herbs like parsley, thyme, chives, and cilantro. Both fresh herbs and dried ones will work. Old Bay seasoning is a classic way to season your shrimp! Shrimp always pairs well with fresh citrus, too, like lemon, lime, and orange. Use the zest to add an extra pop of flavor. Dried seasoning mixes work well, too, like lemon pepper and Italian seasoning.
Spicy Shrimp and Peppers Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked peeled shrimp see note
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 4 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 1 small/medium onion halved and sliced
- 1 red pepper julienned
- 1 green pepper julienned
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Sprinkle the shrimp with the taco seasoning.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the onions and peppers and cook until they’re tender but still crisp. Push the peppers to the sides of the pan, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and the shrimp. Cook until shrimp is pink and cooked through, just about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the salsa and lime juice and heat through. Serve hot.
- Serving suggestions: rice or pasta.
Bookmark these other 30 minute meals:
- One Pot Taco Casserole
- Bean Stuff
- 20 Minute Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Homemade Mexican Pizza
- Cajun Shrimp
- Ground Turkey and Peppers
Spicy Shrimp and Peppers recipe is an easy 30 minute dinner! Sauteed shrimp and peppers with spicy seasoning and rice or pasta is one of our favorite weeknight meals.
Last Updated on February 2, 2023
This spicy shrimp dish was so delicious! Added 3 colors of julienned pepper strips and served over basmati rice. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe!