This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This EASY Skillet Pizza Chicken tastes just like pizza without the crust. Top chicken tenders with pizza toppings for an easy low-carb dinner. Use your favorite toppings to personalize this 30 minute chicken recipe!
We LOVE this as a weeknight meal. 30 minutes, tastes like pizza: It’s one chicken recipe my daughter approves!!
Table of Contents
What is Pizza Chicken?
I have to tell you guys – this is probably the BEST CHICKEN RECIPE I’ve ever made or eaten. It tasted JUST LIKE Pizza, but without the crust. Basically, it’s pizza with a chicken crust which makes it low-carb and perfect for those of you who are craving pizza but don’t want to blow your diet on bread.
In fact, right now, as I write this, my mouth is watering. I think I need to take more chicken breasts out of the freezer to make this for dinner tonight.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Cheesy Pizza Chicken is made in a skillet on the stovetop. It’s super tasty and made with all your favorite pizza toppings. Really, you can top it with whatever you want – what are your favorites?
I used mushrooms, olives, and pepperoni. I love the combination of those flavors but you could easily use sausage, or add onions or peppers…or even ham and pineapple. Hawaiian Pizza Chicken…hmmm…that might be one I have to make too!
Ingredients in this Low Carb Pizza Dinner
Even thought this Skillet Pizza Chicken recipe isn’t exactly low calorie, it’s low carb and it’s my favorite new go-to chicken recipe. When I first tasted it I swear I thought I was eating pizza.
- Chicken: I started this recipe with chicken breast tenders.
- Mushrooms: I love mushrooms on pizza, plus they add a meaty bite to your dinner.
- Garlic: LOTS of garlic – I love a flavorful dinner recipe.
- Pizza Spices: I love adding oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Pizza Sauce: You can use jarred or homemade pizza sauce to top your chicken.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Shred it yourself for best melting results!
- Toppings: Use your favorite pizza toppings. For us, pepperoni is a must.
How To Make Skillet Pizza Chicken
- Remove the tendon from the chicken tenders, if desired. Or cut up the chicken breasts to bite size pieces.
- I started off by sautéing them in my skillet. I’m using a large 12-inch skillet so all the chicken will fit. Once the mushrooms started to cook I added garlic and then my chicken tenders, which I’d seasoned with salt and pepper and some pizza spices like oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Chicken breast tenders cook up rather fast, so once they’re almost done you add your pizza sauce to let them finish cooking simmering in the sauce (it helps them stay moist too) and then top with cheese and the rest of your toppings. Cover the pan to melt the cheese and you have the perfect dinner recipe in under 30 minutes!
- You can definitely use chicken breasts, but I suggest cutting them into tenders-sized pieces so this will cook faster. Tenders are perfect for weeknight cooking because they cook up fast.
- Omit the mushrooms if you don’t like them.
- For a lower fat dish, use low fat mozzerella cheese.
- Toppings: use your favorites like pepperoni, sausage, black olives, bell peppers or ANYTHING you like on pizza!
Skillet Pizza Chicken Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders or chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni and Sliced olives or other pizza toppings
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook just about 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the chicken with the salt, pepper, oregano, and pepper flakes.
- Push the mushrooms to the edges of the pan. Place chicken tenders in the center of the pan. Cook about 3-4 minutes, or until golden, then flip and do the same on the other side.
- Add the pizza sauce to the pan. Cover and cook until the chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add the cheese, pepperoni, and olives and cover and cook until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.
Our other favorite pizza recipes:
- Another 30 minute chicken recipe: Easy Parmesan Chicken
- Pizza Dip is another low-carb pizza recipe!
- Make this chicken as a pesto pizza!
- Click HERE for more PIZZA RECIPES!
- Be sure to try Holly’s Pizza Pasta Salad, Meagan’s Pizza Toast, and Erin’s Pizza Tater Tot Casserole!
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Skillet Pizza Chicken is a 30 minute meal that’s low carb – it’s like having chicken as a pizza crust! Use your favorite pizza toppings to make this easy one pot meal – picky eater approved!
Last Updated on January 20, 2023
GOD BLESS YOU – I’m a pizza FREAK and this was absolutely delicious. Why didn’t I ever think of this?? (OK, I’m usually a bread freak, too). But this is much better than with the carbs. I saw a similar recipe, I think it was Twisted, but they pounded the chicken flat and made it into a crust – so I dismissed that one because it sounded like the chicken would be hard. I’d rather have yours, as the chicken was nice & moist. I used your ingredients, but had to add diced green peppers. Mushrooms, pepperoni, & olives love green peppers. I LOVE YOUR RECIPES!!! Thank you.
So glad you liked it!!
Your chicken pizza looks so delicious. I will definitely to prepare one like this this week, because I haven’t had a homemade pizza for way too long
Great recipe! I used what I had (sliced shiitake mushrooms, Rao’s Pizza Sauce leftover in the fridge, aged 8 months manchego and cave-aged 12 months Gruyere).
We love this easy recipe!
looks so delicious! You make me hungry now but I’m in the process of losing weight :((
Is this a crustless pizza???? You don’t say and there is no mention of a crust. Yet one of the pictures looks like there is a crust. How do you eat it?
It’s chicken with sauce and cheese – I am going to eat it with my mouth!
Sounds like a great way to cut out a few calories. Your diet is definitely working!! 🙂
The fact that this is the best chicken recipe you’ve ever eaten or made is super super high praise and noteworthy! Also noteworthy is that you’ve pretty much given up desserts and are fully embracing the low carb lifestyle!