This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Easy chicken Parmesan – this quick dinner recipe is totally foolproof. The chicken comes out moist every time! It’s the BEST baked chicken Parmesan recipe we’ve ever had and it’s my husband’s favorite.
This is a tried and true recipe I’ve been making for almost 20 years and I know you’ll love it as much as we do.
Table of Contents
The BEST Easy Chicken Parmesan
I’ve been making this baked chicken parm recipe for weeknight dinners for a long time and we love it because it’s totally foolproof.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s baked, not fried, so it has less calories
- It’s never dry! Dry chicken is the worst, which is why I like this easy chicken Parmesan recipe so much.
- Works EVERY time
- Done in just about 30 minutes!
Ingredients in Easy Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Breasts: I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts. When I can find them, I’ll buy thin sliced so they aren’t as bulky and oddly shaped. If using regular chicken breasts, be sure to cut them so they are uniform in size and thickness (this way they will cook the same).
- Breadcrumbs: You can use regular breadcrumbs or panic breadcrumbs. I don’t do the double dip with flour and egg to make it a bit healthier. You don’t even need an egg – the breadcrumbs stick just fine to the chicken.
- Parmesan Cheese: I usually just use the grated kind, but you could freshly grate it too.
- Pasta Sauce: Use your favorite jarred marinara sauce or homemade tomato sauce. I love using my crockpot marinara!
- Mozzarella Cheese: Shred it yourself for best melting results! Pre-shredded cheese has a coating that makes it not melt as pretty.
How to make Foolproof Chicken Parmesan
- I like to make sure my chicken breasts are uniform in size. A lot of times a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts will have varying sizes in the package, and even the breast itself can be very thick at one end and thin at the other. To combat this problem I like to slice each breast in half lengthwise so I get equal sized pieces.
- Bread the chicken, as it is in traditional chicken parmesan. I mix the breadcrumbs with spices and press the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture. The breading sticks fine without egg, which reduces a step.
- Bake the chicken at a high temperature, sealing in moisture and baking it quickly.
- At the end of baking, right when regular chicken recipes would be getting dry, you add pasta sauce and cheese to the hot pan. The covering of sauce helps the chicken finish cooking yet keeps it nice and juicy.
Easy Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 full breasts)
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs (can reduce to ½ to lower the carbs)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup pasta sauce any flavor
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pasta for serving
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray a 9×9” pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Depending on the sizes of your chicken breasts, slice each longwise into 4-6 ounce pieces. Place breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a shallow dish and stir.
- Place each chicken breast into the breadcrumb mixture to thoroughly coat both sides. Place in pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they start to look done and crispy.
- Remove hot pan from the oven and top with pasta sauce and mozzarella cheese. Return to oven and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through. Serve over pasta, if desired. We also like to serve this with just a salad for a lower carb meal.
Other Easy Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken is another quick weeknight meal
- Orange Chicken is one of my favorites!
- Chicken Pot Pie
Not only is this easy chicken Parmesan the perfect date night dinner, but it’s also perfect for a quick easy weeknight meal.
Last Updated on January 3, 2023
Chicken is always my favorite! Thank you for sharing the recipe! Can’t wait to try this chicken parmesan.
This is the best Chicken Parmesan recipe I’ve ever ate. I made it tonight and it was a hit with my family.
So good an sooooo easy!
So easy and delicious! Chicken came our really moist
Chicken, Veal, and Meatball Parm
In Italy, the parmigiana treatment is given to eggplants, not chicken or other meats.
Easy and very good!
Very Very good..very easy!!…
at which stage do you recommend freezing? Looks great!
Once it’s all done you can freeze it (once it’s cooled). Then let defrost and heat!
Chicken Parmesan looking spicy. This is perfect for weekend. I loved it.