Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes are an easy pancake recipe with tons of bananas and chocolate chips. We love how easy these are to make!
If your kids beg for pancakes but balk at the thought of banana pancakes, make these. They have chocolate chips, which is a guarantee that your kids will eat them. Plus: chocolate for breakfast? That’s the start of a really good day.
Table of Contents
How to make Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes
I remember when I was young going to Lyon’s for breakfast and ordering banana pancakes. I always loved them! However, Jordan would never eat my homemade banana pancakes…until I added chocolate chips.
After years of perfecting my favorite pancake recipe I decided to add bananas and they are a huge hit – even with my daughter!
Banana pancakes are simple and fast to make plus if you add chocolate chips they’re even better. These easy banana pancakes will be the hit of your breakfast table.
I think banana pancakes are seriously my favorite, but I’m a banana addict. I don’t much like eating them, but I love throwing them in everything from smoothies to bread. And pancakes are my favorite thing to add them to because it’s so easy (and, in my mind, it makes them healthier).
So I added chocolate chips. DUH, gotta even out that “healthier” with chocolate. #truth
Even though Jordan says she hates banana pancakes, I’ve been adding a banana to her Sprinkle Pancakes for years now and she’s never the wiser. But these? These are not “sort-of-banana” pancakes. These babies are like banana bread…in pancake form.
This is my favorite pancake recipe, but I’ve adapted it to be more banana-y by mashing 2 bananas into the batter. I also added some cinnamon because I love cinnamon with my banana anything. Don’t you?
These pancakes are fluffy, light, and full of rich banana flavor. Then I added chocolate because, well. Obviously Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes > Plain Banana Pancakes. I prefer mini chocolate chips but you can use regular. Reduce the amount if you want a less chocolatey pancake.
But if you do that I’m not sure if we can be friends anymore. 😉 And guess what? For “not liking banana pancakes” Jordan ate these for breakfast two days in a row. #momwin
How to make the best banana chocolate chip pancakes:
- Make sure your bananas are very ripe. I like them almost brown; this makes them sweeter and easier to mash.
- Mini chocolate chips are my favorite to use because they spread throughout the whole pancake. I feel like I can use less chocolate for a more chocolate to pancake ratio.
- Yes – 1 full tablespoon of baking powder. No, you don’t taste it. It makes these pancakes SUPER fluffy.
- You can use any milk – dairy, non-dairy, you like. Almond milk works too!
Want even more? Subscribe to Crazy for Crust to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @crazyforcrust and using the hashtag #crazyforcrust.
Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 very ripe bananas mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat an electric griddle to 350°F, if using one. If not, you’ll preheat your pan just before cooking the pancakes.
- Whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk milk, egg, oil, and vanilla in a large measuring cup. Add wet ingredients to dry, add bananas, and stir until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spray pan or griddle with cooking spray. Drop desired amount of pancake batter onto preheated griddle or pan. Cook until small bubbles form then flip until the bottom is a light golden brown.
- Serve plain or with maple syrup.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
**By the way…Go enter to WIN one of my Cookbooks!! I’ll even sign it if you want. :)**
Last Updated on December 27, 2021
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: September 17, 2014