This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
My Peanut Butter Blossoms Recipe is the perfect holiday cookie! In fact, they’re the perfect cookie for anyone that loves peanut butter, all year long. I’ve been making these cookies my entire life and they’re easy enough you can make them too!
Table of Contents
What is a blossom cookie?
These cookies debuted at a Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1957 and have been a classic Christmas cookie ever since. I don’t understand why people only make them at Christmas though; I make them all year (especially since my husband LOVES peanut butter).
Peanut Butter Blossoms are an easy peanut butter cookie recipe!
When they’re hot from the oven a Hershey’s Kiss is pressed on top, creating that classic peanut butter and chocolate combination. It’s no wonder these guys have been popular for over 60 years.
Why this recipe works
These cookies remind me of childhood! I’ve been making some sort of blossom cookie practically my entire life. As much as I love making new flavors of cookies, the classics always have a place in my kitchen.
I’ve edited the original Pillsbury Peanut Butter Blossom Cookie recipe and instead used my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe. The result: a soft and chewy peanut butter blossom that is the perfect Christmas cookie you should make all year.
This classic peanut butter blossoms cookie recipe is a family favorite and I hope you love it as much as we do!
Ingredients in Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- Unsalted Butter: make sure it’s room temperature. I use butter instead of shortening. I find that using butter creates a softer and chewier cookie that’s less likely to get hard or crunchy.
- Peanut Butter: Don’t use a natural peanut butter – only one that’s no-stir. I use creamy peanut butter.
- Sugars: I use a combination of light brown sugar and granulated sugar to keep them soft.
- Egg: Always use large eggs
- Vanilla: Always use pure vanilla extract
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is the normal leavening agent for cookies
- Salt: If using salted butter, reduce salt (see recipe notes)
- Milk: My secret peanut butter cookie ingredients
- Flour: use all-purpose – be sure to measure it correctly.
- Hershey’s Kisses: for topping
How to make Peanut Butter Blossoms from scratch?
- Cream the butter and sugar with peanut butter
- Add egg, vanilla, baking soda, and salt
- Mix in the flour.
- Once you have the cookie dough it’s time to scoop.
The main difference between this cookie and my original is that, after I scoop them, I roll them in sugar and bake them in a ball. Peanut Butter Blossoms don’t have the criss-cross marks that traditional PB cookies have. Instead they stay puffy in the oven, perfect for that Hershey’s Kiss.
I also bake these smaller than my traditional cookies. Normally I use a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop for all my cookie baking, but for these I use a 1-tablespoon scoop. That means I get more cookies (perfect for a cookie exchange) but the smaller size is the perfect fit for the Kiss.
What kind of Hershey’s Kiss do you use in Peanut Butter Blossoms?
These are traditionally Hershey’s Kiss cookies, but you don’t have to use the plain old Kiss. The classic cookie uses the milk chocolate Kiss, wrapped in silver foil, but you could use:
- Caramel Hershey’s Kisses or any other flavor
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Mini Snickers or other mini candy bar
Funny story: when I first started blogging I made some sort of blossom cookie (which I won’t link to because the photos are probably horrid). I got a comment:
“Why do you have to unwrap the Hershey’s Kiss?”
Still my favorite comment to date. I chuckle every time I think of it. (Um…so you don’t eat foil?)
Easy Peanut Butter Blossoms Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened (113 g)
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter (213g)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed (138g)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (50g), plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5ml)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk (15ml)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour (248g)
- 40 Hershey's Kisses or a few more
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Place butter and peanut butter in a large bowl. Using a hand or a stand mixer, mix until combined then add both sugars. Cream until smooth. Mix in egg, vanilla, and milk and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Mix in baking soda and salt, then slowly mix in flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing.
- Fill a bowl with additional granulated sugar, about 1/2 cup.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon balls of dough and roll in sugar. Place 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Meanwhile, unwrap the Heshey's Kisses.
- Bake for 9-13 minutes, or until the edges are just golden brown and the tops are no longer glossy. Immediately place a Kiss in the center of each cookie. Allow to cool before removing from cookie sheets.
- Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Other flavor Hershey’s Kisses
- Mini Snickers
- Or any other small candy!
Other Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes:
- The BEST Peanut Butter cookies
- Snickers Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookie Cake
- Turtle Peanut Butter Cookies
- Rolo Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies
- All my Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes
Other Classic Holiday Cookies:
These easy Peanut Butter Blossoms will remind you of your childhood; they’re a classic holiday cookie recipe that’s also the best peanut butter cookie ever!
Last Updated on November 27, 2022