Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies are a fun new way to make a classic cookie recipe. Chocolate peanut butter cookies are topped with HERSHEY’S KISSES and will become your new favorite holiday cookie!
This post is sponsored by Hershey’s. All opinions are my own. The holidays just aren’t the same without blossom cookies!
Table of Contents
- Twist on Classic Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Ingredients in Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossoms
- How to make Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- Secret Ingredient for Peanut Butter Cookies
- How to Store Blossom Cookies
- Pro Tips for Making Chocolate Blossom Cookies
- Other Amazing Blossom Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
Twist on Classic Peanut Butter Blossoms
I have been making blossom cookies since I was a little girl baking holiday cookies with my mom. We used to clip recipes out of magazines and plan for weeks what we’d make, then spend an entire weekend making all sorts of different cookies to give as gifts.
Peanut Butter Blossoms were, and still are, one of my absolute favorites, and I make them every year for my husband because it’s one of the cookies he’ll actually eat (he’s in love with that chocolate and peanut butter combo).
This recipe is a twist on that classic:
- Peanut butter cookie turned chocolate!
- Soft thanks to my secret peanut butter cookie ingredient
- Rich chocolatey flavor – they’re made with Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa
- Classically topped with HERSHEY’S KISSES Milk Chocolates!
Ingredients in Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossoms
Butter: You’ll need unsalted butter that has been softened. If you use salted butter, omit the salt in the recipe.
Peanut Butter: Creamy peanut butter is perfect for this recipe, be sure to use a no-stir peanut butter.
Sugar: I use a combination of granulated and packed brown sugar.
Egg: Be sure to buy large eggs.
Baking Soda: All of my peanut butter cookies are leavened with baking soda!
Vanilla and Salt: For flavor
Cocoa Powder: This is what makes them nice and chocolatey! Be sure to buy Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (not Dutch Process).
Flour: All-purpose flour is best for cookies (be sure to measure it correctly).
HERSHEY’S KISSES: Don’t forget the most important part! Unwrap delicious HERSHEY’S KISSES Milk Chocolate. The iconic shape and decorative red, green and silver foils you find at the holidays make these KISSES a festive treat for candy dishes or baking something special this holiday.
How to make Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- Cream together the peanut butter, butter, and both sugars. The mixture will be nice and smooth.
- Add the egg, vanilla, baking soda, salt and milk and mix until smooth.
- Then mix in the cocoa until it’s completely blended. Add the flour and a nice rich cookie dough will form.
- Scoop 1-tablespoon sized balls of dough and roll between your palms. Roll each ball in granulated sugar and place 2-inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake 8-12 minutes, or until the edges are no longer glossy looking. Immediately press unwrapped HERSHEY’S KISSES in the center of each cookie. Let cool completely before removing from the pan.
Secret Ingredient for Peanut Butter Cookies
My secret ingredient for peanut butter cookies has always been a bit of milk! Adding the milk keeps these nice and soft. You can substitute nondairy milk if you prefer.
How to Store Blossom Cookies
Store these in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Or, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
Pro Tips for Making Chocolate Blossom Cookies
- Be sure to measure your flour correctly – spoon and level it. Don’t pack it!
- Same goes for the cocoa – measuring it correctly is so important.
- Don’t over bake these cookies. They are done when they just lose their glossy sheen.
- These do not flatten in the oven – they stay puffy so they create that flower look when the KISSES are pressed on top.
Since these are chocolate cookies, you can’t check to see if they’re golden brown, but as soon as they lose their glossy sheen, they are done baking.
As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, press the unwrapped KISSES on the top.
When you add the KISSES to the tops of the cookies the heat of the cookie will melt them. They’ll keep their shape, but then as the cookies cool the KISSES will harden back up. It’s important not to move the cookies during this process so the KISSES don’t collapse.
You can substitute vegan butter sticks for the butter, and nondairy milk for the milk.
Not in this recipe – the baking soda will interact with that kind of cocoa so it is not recommended.
Use only a no-stir kind of peanut butter – not a natural kind. This recipe hasn’t been tested with natural peanut butter and that kind usually behaves differently in recipes.
You can substitute for the peanut butter as long as it’s a no-stir (not natural) kind of nut butter or nut butter substitute.
Other Amazing Blossom Cookies
- HERSHEY’S KISSES Blossom Cookies – the classic recipe!
- Peppermint Blossom Cookies
- S’mores Blossom Cookies
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter , softened
- ¾ cup (200g) creamy peanut butter (use a no-stir peanut butter)
- ¾ cup (150g) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon (5ml) milk
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (40g) HERSHEY’S Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 ½ cups (186g) all-purpose flour
- 36 HERSHEY'S KISSES Milk Chocolate (unwrapped)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Place butter and peanut butter in a large bowl. Using a hand or a stand mixer, mix until combined then add both sugars. Cream until smooth. Mix in egg, vanilla, and milk and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Mix in baking soda, cocoa, and salt, then slowly mix in flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing.
- Place some additional granulated sugar in a small bowl. Scoop 1-tablespoon sized balls of dough and roll into balls, then roll to coat in the sugar. Place 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until tops are no longer glossy. Immediately upon removing cookies from the oven press a Hershey’s Kiss in the center. Allow the Hershey’s Kiss to cool completely before removing the cookies from the cookie sheet.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- May substitute vegan butter sticks for the butter.
- May substitute nondairy milk for the milk.
- Use a no-stir peanut butter. May substitute equal amounts of any other no-stir (not natural) nut butter or nut butter substitute.
- Do not use Dutch Process Cocoa.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossoms are chocolate peanut butter cookies with Hershey’s Kisses pressed on top! These are a twist on the traditional peanut butter blossoms.
Last Updated on November 3, 2021
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: November 2, 2021