Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Make Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes for an easy breakfast recipe! Thanks to my sponsor, Almond Breeze, these pancakes are super fluffy using my favorite almondmilk.
Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or snack, make these fluffy pancakes with any filling. Blueberries make them perfect for breakfast!
You can stop what you’re doing because I have your next breakfast recipe ready to go! These Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes were a huge hit in my house, as pancakes usually are.
Pancakes are a rarity in my house, not because we don’t love them, but because I’m rarely awake enough in the morning to make them. I’m not a human until I’ve had a couple cups of coffee and by then, my kid is out the door. But…sometimes I want to do something special and make pancakes, usually on a Sunday morning.
Here’s the other dirty little secret about my normal pancakes: I usually make pancakes from a mix, but I enjoy pancakes from scratch so much better. Recently I decided that, if I’m going to take the time to make pancakes for my family, I’m going to make them homemade!
This fluffy pancake recipe is the result of that decision. This recipe will turn out perfectly delicious fluffy pancakes every time, and you can leave them plain or add anything you like. We especially love chocolate chips or sprinkles in pancakes, but sometimes only blueberry pancakes will do.
Have you ever wondered how to make fluffy pancakes? There are a few tricks to it, but they’re really easy. These fluffy pancakes are made without milk or buttermilk, but include a secret ingredient…
That’s right – these pancakes are made with my favorite Almond Breeze almondmilk: Almond Breeze almondmilk Cashew Unsweetened Original. That’s a mouthful to say but, seriously, this is my favorite almondmilk to date. I have two that are regularly in my fridge: the coconut blend and this one. It’s SO creamy and good (and it has less calories than the Original Almond Breeze Unsweetened almondmilk!)
I think the creaminess of the almondmilk is the perfect addition to this fluffy pancake recipe. It also makes the pancakes dairy-free! So, how do I get them light and fluffy without using buttermilk or something like that? A few tricks:
- A combination of baking powder and baking soda. Baking powder makes them light and fluffy, while baking soda is only activated using an acid. Once activated, bubbles are created which helps keep the pancakes light…which leads me to #2.
- Lemon Juice. Have you ever wondered why pancake recipes that call for milk use baking powder and those that call for buttermilk use baking soda? It’s because baking soda needs an acid to activate it, hence buttermilk (the sour in the buttermilk is an acid that can activate the baking soda).
But wait, you say. You didn’t use buttermilk, you used a non-acid non-dairy milk. That’s right, which is why I add lemon juice to my batter. You don’t taste the lemon, it’s just there to activate the baking soda. (You can also use white vinegar.) Combined, the baking soda, baking powder, and lemon juice create a super fluffy pancake recipe!
Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes are light and fluffy and full of blueberries. Fill them with whatever you want, your family will love this easy recipe!
Let’s refresh how to make the perfect fluffy blueberry pancakes:
- Use a combination of baking soda and baking powder.
- Use lemon juice or vinegar to activate the baking soda.
- Use Almond Breeze almondmilk Cashew Unsweetened Original for an extra creamy flavor without using milk.
- Cook these as soon as you whip up the batter. The baking soda reacts immediately with the lemon juice and creates bubbles that you want in your pancakes. Don’t let the batter sit too long or these bubbles will go away causing a flatter pancake.
Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 cup 131g all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons 27g granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup 237ml Almond Breeze almondmilk Cashew Unsweetened Original
- 2 tablespoons 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1/2-1 cup fresh or frozen thawed blueberries
- Note on blueberries: if using frozen, make sure they are thawed and well rinsed and drained before making pancakes.
- Preheat griddle 350°F or heat frying pan over medium heat until a fleck of water “dances” in the pan.
- Whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add egg, lemon juice, almondmilk, and oil. Whisk until combined (batter may be slightly lumpy).
- Gently fold in desired amount of blueberries.
- Cook pancakes immediately, flipping halfway, on griddle or in pan greased with cooking spray. Serve warm with syrup.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 /4 recipe) — Calories: 246, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 47mg, Carbohydrates: 36g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 11g, Protein: 5g
If you love using Almond Breeze, try Chocolate French Toast Casserole!
Make egg muffins to go along with the pancakes!
This post has been sponsored by Almond Breeze. All opinions are 100% my own.
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**