This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies are the perfect cookie recipe! This is my favorite and BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe filled with M&Ms. They are easy to make, have the best chewy, soft texture, and are freezer-friendly. Plus, you can use your favorite MMs to make them.
How to make Chocolate Chip Cookies with M&Ms
BEST M&M Cookies
Is there anything more fun than M&M cookies? Soft and chewy cookies loaded with colorful M&Ms are one of my favorite things to make. They just look happy and fun to me!
I absolutely love putting M&Ms in cookies. I put them in pudding cookies all the time to celebrate holidays like Christmas and Easter. I love putting M&Ms in my sugar cookies, too, because it reminds me of when I was little and would beg for a Mrs. Field’s M&M Cookie at the mall.
So, today I have these easy M&M cookies for you to try. They combine the fun chocolate candy with my BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe for a treat no one can resist.
Why you’ll love Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies
- This is a low-fuss recipe! One bowl and hand mixer – that’s all you need.
- The cookies have the best soft and chewy texture. This is from the melted butter and two kinds of sugar. Brown sugar gives them a chewy texture, and granulated sugar gives them lightly crispy edges.
- They are freezer-friendly and keep well at room temperature for a few days if they last that long!
- Yes, they require chilling, so be sure to plan ahead. It’s an important step you won’t want to skip!
If you’ve been looking for an easy M&M cookie recipe, your search stops here!
Table of Contents
Butter: I always start with melted unsalted butter for my chocolate chip cookie recipes. Using salted butter? Omit the salt in the recipe.
Sugar: Granulated sugar and light brown sugar are used – be sure to pack the brown sugar!
Egg: Be sure to buy large eggs.
Vanilla Extract: For flavor
Baking Soda: How all my cookies are leavened.
Salt: Needed if starting with unsalted butter!
Flour: All-Purpose flour is my go-to for cookies
M&Ms: You can use ANY kind of M&M!
How to Make M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
1. No Mixer Needed: Mix the melted butter with both kinds of sugar in a bowl with a hand mixer or a stand mixer, or you can just stir it with a spoon or spatula. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Then mix in the egg and vanilla.
2. Mix: Mix in the baking soda and salt. Lower the speed and slowly add the flour. Mix just until the dough is smooth and the flour is absorbed. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure everything is mixed. Next, slowly mix in the MMs.
3. Scoop two tablespoons of dough to form each cookie dough ball. Place them on a baking sheet and then cover and chill them for at least two hours before baking.
4. Bake: Once they are chilled, transfer them to a prepared cookie sheet and space them two inches apart. Bake them for 11 to 15 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden and the tops of the cookies are no longer glossy.
5. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before removing them.
- For the best M&M cookies, accurately measure the ingredients. Use the spoon and level method to measure the flour, and be sure to pack the brown sugar in the measuring cup.
- Use your favorite MMs for this recipe! Use mini M&M’s to get a better M&M to bite ratio, or use any kind or color of M&Ms you like! When you add M&Ms to a cookie, you have so many options: make Peanut M&M Cookies or use fun colors to match the holiday, party, or celebration!
- Not into M&Ms? Feel free to use your favorite cookie mix-in like other kinds of candy, baking chips, or nuts. The only rule is only to add 1 ½ cups of mix-ins in total.
Flat cookies are usually due to not having enough flour in the dough or butter that is too soft or melted. Using a scale or the spoon and level method to measure the flour will help, as well as chilling the dough so the butter firms up before baking.
Yep! Feel free to use your favorite kind.
Yes, chilling is required. I like to start with melted butter for a great cookie texture because it mixes with the sugars well. The chilling firms up the butter before baking so your cookies don’t spread too much.
Store them in an airtight container, and they will keep well for two to three days at room temperature.
Yes, these MM cookies freeze great! First, cool them completely, and then store them in a freezer bag or container. I like to separate the cookie layers with paper towels. That way, when you thaw them, the towels absorb the excess moisture.
Ready to get baking? I know you’re going to love this MM chocolate chip cookie recipe! My only other tip is tobe sure to make extra of these cookies – they won’t last long.
More Recipes with M&Ms You’ll Love
Chocolate Chip M&Ms Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted (113g)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (66 g)
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed (104g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5ml)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (186g)
- 1 ½ cups M&Ms candies any flavor or color
- Note: This dough requires chilling. Recipe is written for a mixer but you can also just stir with a wooden spoon or spatula – no mixer needed.
- Place melted butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl if using a hand mixer). Add granulated and brown sugars and mix on low speed until the mixture is smooth. Mix in egg and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Mix in baking soda and salt, then slowly mix in flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing. Slowly mix in M&Ms.
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Scoop 2 tablespoon balls of dough onto the cookie sheet. Spacing doesn’t matter because you will be chilling the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a second cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Remove the chilled cookie dough balls from the refrigerator and space them 2-inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake (2 tablespoon sized cookies) for 11-15 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden and the tops are no longer glossy. Let cool on the cookie sheets at least 10 minutes before removing.
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip M&Ms Cookies are the perfect cookie recipe! This is my favorite and BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe filled with M&Ms.
Last Updated on August 19, 2021