This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
These Chocolate M&M Cookies are the perfect soft and chewy cookies loaded with m&m’s! These chocolate cookies are great for weekend treats, birthday goodies and are a fun way to bake together in the kitchen!
Table of Contents
Soft Chocolate M&M Cookies
If you’re craving chocolate m and m cookies, I urge you to make these. I know what you’re thinking…another cookie recipe claiming to be the best? Yes, I’ll back up that claim! The texture of this chocolate m&m cookie recipe is the perfect chewy balance. Trust me – they’re amazing!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s a CHOCOLATE cookie – who doesn’t love that?
- Use your favorite flavor M&Ms
- They freeze well – perfect for baking ahead!
Ingredients in Chocolate Cookies
- All-purpose flour – Be sure to measure it correctly.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – This gives these cookies their chocolate flavor. Best to use natural unsweetened – the recipe has not been tested with Dutch process.
- Salt – Just a little bit. Omit the extra salt if you use salted butter.
- Baking soda – Baking soda makes cookies soft and flavorful.
- Cream of tartar – This is the secret ingredient that makes the cookies chewy.
- Unsalted butter – Make sure that it’s melted.
- Packed brown sugar – When you’re measuring the sugar, be sure that it’s packed down.
- Granulated sugar – One of the main sweeteners.
- Egg – Needed as the binding agent for these cookies.
- Vanilla extract – Pure vanilla extract is the best,
- M&Ms – You can use any type of m&m’s that you’d like but I love cookies with plain m&ms!
How to make Chocolate Cookies with M&Ms
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk: Add the salt, baking soda, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, and flour into a bowl. Set it aside.
- Cream the butter: Cream the butter with both sugars. Use a mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Add and mix in an egg and the vanilla extract. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until the cookie dough forms.
- Add to the baking sheet. Use a cookie scoop and put the cookie dough balls on the cookie sheet. Leave 3-inches between each one.
- Add the m&ms: Push 10 m&m’s on top of every single cookie dough ball. Put in the oven and bake for 11-14 minutes.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
Once the cookies are baked and cooled, store them in an airtight container. They will stay fresh for up to 3 days. You can keep them at room temperature without any issues.
You don’t have to chill the cookie dough for this recipe. The easy cookie dough recipe is ready to bake right when you get done making it!
When the cookies lose that glossy appearance on the top, it’s an indication that they’re done baking, or very close to it. The edges of the cookies will also start to turn golden brown once they’re getting close to being baked all the way.
Absolutely. That would be a great variation to this simple cookie recipe. You can swap out the m&ms and use Reese’s Pieces instead. Any type of candy chocolate pieces would work!
If the cookies didn’t spread out while they’re baking, this means that you more than likely added in too much flour. Be careful when you’re measuring the flour so that you don’t add too much.
Other Favorite Cookie Recipes
- Classic M&M Cookies
- Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate M&M Cookies
- 1 ¼ cups (155g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (27g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (100g) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (160g) plain M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Whisk salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, cocoa powder, and flour in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter with both sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla extract, then mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix until cookie dough forms, being sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Scoop 2-tablespoon size balls of cookie dough and place cookies 3-inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Do not crowd the cookies as they do spread.
- Press about 10 M&Ms evenly on top of each cookie ball. Bake for 11-14 minutes or until they lose their glossy sheen. Cool completely before removing from cookie sheets.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Easy Chocolate M&M Cookies are a soft and chewy chocolate cookie with M&Ms – these are the best cookies ever and everyone loves them.