This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Easy Chicken Penne Pasta is a one pot meal that’s done in under 30 minutes! This easy skillet recipe is picky eater approved and perfect for those busy weeknights.
Table of Contents
Penne Pasta with Chicken
I struggle with coming up with dinner ideas – so I need simple and fast meals. This easy Chicken Penne Pasta is going to be on the list over and over! It’s just so full of flavor and packed with protein.
This recipe is a variation of my Cheesy Penne Casserole that I make for almost every potluck, except I added chicken to the mix to make it a healthier meal.
Need an easy meal? Chicken Penne Pasta is a simple one pot skillet meal that your family will love!
Now, I know that pasta has carbs but I find that if I’m craving pasta I should just go ahead and eat some, otherwise I’ll just make up for it by scarfing other foods. There are a few ways to make this skillet dinner a healthier pasta dish:
- Use whole wheat pasta. There are a few brands that sell whole wheat pasta in many shapes, including penne, and I really enjoy it. Once you get the hang of cooking it and pour sauce all over it, your family will never know it’s whole wheat.
- Use a pasta substitute. This was something I resisted for a long time but I’ve finally found a non-pasta pasta I like. It’s called Banza pasta (see above the recipe for link) and it’s sold in an orange box. It’s pasta made from chickpeas so it’s super high in fiber and protein and low in carbs. I was super skeptical about it the first time I bought it but I actually really like it. You’re going to taste the difference (taste and texture) if you eat it plain with butter but if you put sauce on it no one will know – PROMISE. (BTW, this is NOT sponsored, I just really love it!)
- Penne pasta cooks fast and is perfect with red sauce because all the little grooves and the hollow center grabs up all the deliciousness.
Easy Chicken Penne Pasta
- Boil water in pot or large skillet and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add pasta sauce, pressed garlic, pepper flakes and cottage cheese to skillet and heat until bubbly and hot. Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is heated through. Stir in the pasta and mozzarella cheese. Taste for seasoning, add salt and/or pepper as needed.
- Serve hot with parmesan cheese.
- I am loving Banza Pasta, which is a chickpea pasta and low-carb. It’s in an orange box and tastes like regular pasta!
- Use my meal prep chicken or instant pot chicken or shredded chicken, or you can use a rotisserie chicken.
- To start with raw chicken: Cook pasta as directed in step 1. Then add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Cook until brown on all sides and almost cooked through, 8-10 minutes (depending on size of pieces). Add the sauce to the pan with the garlic and cook until chicken is fully cooked through. Stir in cottage cheese, pasta, and mozzarella.
More Chicken Recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken
- Easy Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Baked Penne
- Easy Chicken Recipes
- Pesto Penne
- Spicy Chicken Recipe
Tools for success:
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Last Updated on September 19, 2023