Spicy Chicken Dinner (30 minute meal)
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This easy Spicy Chicken Dinner is a 30 minute meal that’s perfect for weeknights. It’s a one pot skillet meal with corn and zucchini with a little bit of spice! Even the picky eaters liked this chicken recipe!
Guys I’m struggling with getting dinner on the table every night. I feel like after working all day, dealing with teenager stuff, and baking for the blog I just don’t want to make more food for dinner. It’s become a huge issue because I’m throwing stuff together at night or just snacking on stuff that’s not great for me.
Over the past few weeks I’m trying really hard to actually cook a full meal at least twice a week. If I can get a few more in, awesome, but if I can’t then leftovers and salad will have to do. Hopefully once I get back in the habit of making dinner I’ll start enjoying it again.
Add making dinner to the list of things I used to enjoy BB (before blogging): scrapbooking, walking the dog, parenting…you know, the basics.
The other reason I hope to make more dinners for my family is that I want to share more easy meals here on the site. If I’m struggling to get dinner on the table, I bet you are too. I’m hoping to have one or two every week for the foreseeable future.
My guarantee to you: unless it’s a special occasion meal or side dish, all of the recipes I share will be easy and as fast as possible. Crockpot meals, one pot meals, dinner in the instant pot – those are all things I can handle, and I hope you can too!
This Spicy Chicken Dinner with corn and zucchini is an east meal we love – it’s a bit spicy and a lot delicious!
Seriously – I make some version of this at least once a month and it’s always a family favorite.
Easy one pot meals are the best family recipes!
I love me a one pot meal. Sure, I don’t mind making rice or pasta or something but I can’t stand when I have to wash a meat pan, a pasta pan and a vegetable pan. Whenever I can do all of my recipe in one pot, I’m totally digging it.
We don’t usually eat traditional carbs with our meals, so a lot of what I share will have a protein and lots of vegetables. Sometimes a recipe calls for pasta (like a chicken and broccoli skillet) or rice (like orange chicken) but for the most part I try and just do lots of vegetables.
This easy one pot skillet meal has spicy chicken with corn, zucchini and peppers. There are tons of vegetables in the corn mixture and you won’t miss the extra carbs from pasta or rice.
30 minute meals like this spicy chicken dinner are my go-to.
Rachael Ray taught me about 30 minute meals back in the early 2000s and the habit has stuck. Unless the recipe is going in the oven (like a casserole) or being made in the crockpot, I do not want to spend more than 30 minutes making it.
My favorite dinner recipes are one pot skillet meals that take less than 30 minutes. This Spicy Chicken satisfies all those requirements.
Make your own easy spice rub for chicken.
I used a few spices I had on hand to make this spicy chicken:
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Chipotle Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Salt and pepper
If you’ve never used chipotle chili powder or smoked paprika you must try them. They add a spice and a smokiness to any recipe. They’re two of my most used spices.
Use chicken breast tenders for quick meals!
We usually have boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer but if I’m at the store I’ll often grab a package of chicken breast tenders. I like the taste of them better, probably because they’re smaller and cook faster and more evenly.
You can use either full breasts or tenders for this recipe but if you’re using full breasts, I recommend that you slice them smaller and make sure they’re evenly sized. This will ensure even, fast cooking.
Simple summer vegetables make a great stir fry meal.
In a way, this recipe is like a stir fry made of spicy chicken and tons of summer vegetables. Even though it’s full of summer veggies, we make this all year.
My go-to mix of vegetables for this meal are:
- Corn (fresh or frozen)
- Red bell pepper
- Red or yellow onion
You can mix and match vegetables as you like. Try using yellow squash or maybe some butternut squash!
This easy one pot meal is the perfect chicken dinner. It’s a bit spicy with lots of delicious stir-fried vegetables. One of our favorite meals, this recipe is even picky eater approved!
Other Easy One Pot Chicken Dinners:
- Penne with Chicken
- Chicken Broccoli Skillet Meal
- 20-minute Enchilada Skillet
- I love Becky’s One Pot Chicken Alfredo Skillet too!
I love my Staub 13-inch Skillet for making one pot meals!
Want even more? Subscribe to Crazy for Crust to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @crazyforcrust and using the hashtag #crazyforcrust.
Spicy Chicken Dinner with corn and zucchini
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders — or boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil — divided
- 1 small red onion — diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper — diced
- 1 jalapeno — seeds and ribs removed and diced
- 1 medium or 2 small zucchini — cut small
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Salt and pepper — to taste
- 1 Lime
- If you're using full chicken breasts, slice them into smaller uniform size pieces (about 4 per breast depending on size).
- Mix salt, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika and chili powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle over both sides of the chicken.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Add the chicken in a single layer. Cook about 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is almost cooked through (cooking time depends on thickness of chicken).
- Remove chicken to a plate. Add remaining oil to the skillet and turn heat to medium.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and jalapeño to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add zucchini and garlic. Season vegetables with about 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook until zucchini starts too brown.
- Add corn to the pan and stir all the vegetables together. Return the chicken to the pan and nestle it in the vegetables. Cover and finish cooking until the chicken is done (internal temperature of 165°F), corn is hot and zucchini is cooked to your liking (less time if you like it al dente, more if you like it softer).
- Remove from heat and squeeze the juice of one lime over the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot. Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 313, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 73mg, Sodium: 727mg, Potassium: 910mg, Carbohydrates: 29g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 28g, Vitamin A: 1261%, Vitamin C: 66%, Calcium: 35%, Iron: 2%
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**