Cherry Berry Dump Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Cherry Berry Dump Cake – this easy cobbler recipe has just 5 ingredients! It starts with cherry and blueberry pie filling, and is topped with a cake mix. EVERYONE loves this easy cake recipe.
I know, I know. People HATE the name of this cake: DUMP Cake. I get it but really, what else can we call this?
It’s like a crumble in that it has fruit and a crispy, crunchy topping, but it’s not really a crumble. I think of a crumble as having oats and brown sugar, but this is ALL cake flavor.
It’s not a cobbler, and if I called it that people would protest because a cobbler is more like a biscuit and hello, this is CAKE not a biscuit.
So…Dump Cake it is. The name comes from the action of making it: you literally dump everything into a pan and bake it. No bowls, no wooden spoons or beaters, nada. Just dump and bake and serve.
A cherry berry dump cake with no cleanup and only 5 ingredients? Um, sign me up.
I’m no stranger to dump cakes like this. After all, I’ve made peach blueberry and cherry peach, and I’ve also made apple dump in the slow cooker, and pumpkin dump in the fall. There’s really no wrong answer to how you make this cake. Dump cakes are mostly method, just change up the ingredients for a new recipe.
Another good name for this would be “clean out the pantry cake” because that’s what I did when I decided to make it. I was cleaning out my pantry, which I do often, to donate food before it expires. I tend to hoard baking ingredients and over buy and then forget I have it…and buy it again, which is how I end up with 12 cake mixes and surpluses of sliced almonds.
As I was cleaning, I found two cans of pie filling that were close to expiration and decided to use one of the cake mixes collecting dust on my shelf to make a dump cake cobbler crisp. The fact that I had cherry pie filling (red) and blueberry pie filling (blue) and that Memorial Day and the 4th of July are around the corner was just fate.
Dump cakes, because they’re like cobblers or crisps, are the perfect summer food. They feed a crowd and everyone loves them!
Because almonds go so well with cherry, I threw some slivered almonds in the pan. You can skip the nuts or use your favorite kind. And be liberal with the butter, it’s what crisps up the top.
Hmmm, maybe a good name would be Cherry Berry Dump Cake Cobbler Crisp. After all, it’s kind of all three. Whatever you call it, I can eat it ALL. If you leave me alone with the pan you might come back to only fruit being left (I’m partial to crumble, lol).
Cherry Berry Dump Cake
Cherry Berry Dump Cake – this easy cobbler recipe has just 5 ingredients! It starts with your favorite cans of pie filling: cherry and blueberry and is topped with a cake mix. EVERYONE loves this easy cake recipe.
- 1 (21 ounce) can Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 (21 ounce) can Blueberry Pie Filling
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 box white cake mix
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2.8L casserole dish or 9×13” pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the cherry and blueberry pie fillings in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle the nuts over the fruit. Open the cake mix and sprinkle the power evenly over the top.
- Slice butter into small pieces and sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake mix. Make sure to make it even so that it all melts into the cake mix.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the fruit starts to bubble up around the edges and the edges start to turn golden. I baked mine in a casserole dish that was deeper than a 9×13” pan so it took 40 minutes. Different pans will have different baking times, so start checking after 30 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Store covered in refrigerator.