Pineapple Upside Down Dump Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Pineapple Upside Down Dump Cake – This EASY pineapple upside down cake recipe has only 4 ingredients!! Simply dump the ingredients into the pan and bake. The easiest cake recipe EVER and it feeds a crowd!
So…let’s talk about The Real Housewives of Atlanta for a minute. Oh my heck, y’all. Do you watch that show? I am an absolute Housewives NUT. I watch every episode, every season, every complimentary episode of Watch What Happens Live…but for some reason I never watched Atlanta. I started season 1 but I don’t think the personalities grabbed me at first, so I gave up too soon. (In my defense, this was before I knew it would be good just because it had the Housewives name.)
Anyway, now that you’ve forgiven me my sins, I subscribed to Hulu pretty much because I could watch the entire series from start to finish. I’m up to the end of season 7. Apollo just went to jail, Phaedra filed for divorce, and NeNe is fed up. I am loving EVERY SECOND. Like, it’s all I can do right now to write this and not escape to my bubble of RHOA.
Now, I’m not up to date on season 9, but you have to be living under a rock to not know the drama that’s going to occur between Kandi and Phaedra. I’m a Bravo-addict so of course I know what’s coming. Season 7 is where their friendship starts to fracture and I just want to shake Kandi and be like, GIRL. GO CALL HER. Make an effort! She’s hurting! She’s gonna do you wrong if you don’t get your act together!
It’s drama at it’s best, and it keeps my mind off the crap going on in real life. (Anyone who ever said they don’t live in a “Real Housewives” situation has never lived in a suburb, let me tell you.)
All this watching Atlanta has me thinking about the south and southern food…and that brings me to our newest DUMP CAKE recipe for today: Pineapple Upside Down Dump Cake!
Last month, when I made my Cherry Berry Dump Cake, I got so many comments about all the different flavors people make. Peach, cherry, lemon, chocolate…I want to try every single one. The one that was brought up most was pineapple with cherry pie filling. I thought to myself, of course that’s popular: it’s a Pineapple Upside Down Cake!
So…I decided to give that recipe a home right here on the blog: a pineapple upside down DUMP cake…where you just dump it all in. Easy as pie…or cake, that is.
You only need 4 ingredients for this easy recipe: crushed pineapple, cherry pie filling, cake mix, and butter. Another thing a lot of people commented was that they melted the butter instead of cubing it. I tried that with this cake and it worked just fine, but you can use either method. Basically, a dump cake is a method, not a recipe:
- Get two cans of something: pie filling, fruit, etc.
- Get a cake mix.
- Dump them all into a pan.
- Bake them.
- Eat them ’til you’re sick. (Or wait, is that just me?)
I hope you enjoy, this is the perfect summer potluck recipe. Also: TEAM KANDI over here!
Pineapple Upside Down Dump Cake
- 1 can — about 20 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 can — 21 ounce cherry pie filling
- 1 box yellow or white cake mix
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter — melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2.8L casserole dish or 9x13” pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the crushed pineapple (with the juice) and cherry pie filling in the bottom of the dish. Open the cake mix and sprinkle the power evenly over the top.
- Pour the melted butter evenly over the top of the cake mix. Make sure to make it even so that it all cooks into the cake mix.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until the fruit starts to bubble up around the edges and the edges start to turn golden. I baked mine in a casserole dish that was deeper than a 9x13” pan so it took 40 minutes. Different pans will have different baking times, so start checking after 30 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Store covered in refrigerator.
If you love dump cakes like this be sure to see my other dump cake recipes below, and check out all my cake mix recipes. And check out these favorites too: Caramel Chocolate Dump Cake by Taste and Tell or Lemon Blueberry Skillet Dump Cake by Shugary Sweets.