This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
If you love apple pie and pancakes you’re going to LOVE this recipe: Apple Pie Pancake Rolls. We love making simple pancake rolls with cinnamon sugar but THIS version is full of apple pie filling making them the best fall breakfast!
Table of Contents
What is a Pancake Roll?
Pancake rolls are like crepes, but they’re pancakes. To make pancake rolls, you make pancakes like normal but you add extra liquid. The extra liquid makes the pancakes super thin once they’ve cooked so that you can roll them up. My mom always filled them with cinnamon sugar, but I’ve been known to throw some Nutella or peanut butter in there.
Jordan always gets so excited when I tell her we are having breakfast for dinner, because she thinks that means pancakes or waffles. Most of the time it means bacon and eggs, but I always make some sort of carb to make her happy. Pancakes, muffins, waffles – she’ll take whatever she can get! But pancakes are her favorite, especially pancake rolls.
NOW you can fill them with apple pie. They’re the perfect indulgent breakfast or dessert after brinner!
- Pancake Mix: Use your favorite pancake mix or recipe, and you’ll also need the ingredients called for on the box. This recipe is written for Krusteaz pancake mix, because you just need to mix it with water. See the recipe for directions on how to make pancake rolls with Bisquick.
- Apple Cider or Apple Juice: Instead of milk, use apple cider to make the pancakes – this adds tons of apple flavor.
- Apple Pie Filling: For rolling up in the pancakes, like crepes.
How do you make pancake rolls?
- Mix together the pancake mix and apple cider. You want thin pancakes – so you’re going to use a bit more liquid than called for.
- It takes a little time to make and flip these pancakes, because they’re so thin. You can use a griddle but I like using a small 6″ frying pan. I add some thin batter to the pan and swirl it around. Cook it until the bottom is browned and then carefully flip it.
- Once you get a stack of the apple flavored pancakes, you can eat them right away, rolled with apple pie filling, or freeze them. (We always have a stack of these in our freezer!)
Other Pancake Roll Recipes
Apple Pie Pancake Rolls
- 1 cup Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 1 cup apple juice or apple cider
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 can approx. 21 ounces apple pie filling
- Whisk pancake mix, apple juice or cider, and cinnamon in a large bowl until smooth. Batter will be thin. Let sit while pan is preheating.
- Preheat a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place about 2 tablespoons of batter into pan and swirl the pan to make a thin pancake that’s about 5” in diameter.
- Cook about 45-60 seconds then carefully flip and cook for an additional 30 seconds, until the bottom is browned. (To easily flip the pancake make sure you’ve sprayed the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Use a spatula to lift up the edges. Work the spatula under one part of the pancake and then flip it.)
- Warm the apple pie filling, if desired.
- Place 3-4 apples from the apple pie filling in the center of each pancake and roll up. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Last Updated on September 30, 2023