get new recipes in your email box:

Jun 26

Hula Pie

This is the pie of my dreams: Hawaiian HULA PIE! It’s got an Oreo cookie crust, macadamia nut vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and a hefty dose of chopped macadamia nuts. It’s easy and no-bake and it’s worth every calorie!

PIN IT NOW to save for later!

Hula Pie - this easy no bake pie has an Oreo crust, macadamia nut ice cream, and hot fudge! Everyone loves it!

If you’ve ever been to Hawaii you’ve probably heard of and/or tasted Hula Pie. It’s a classic dessert in the touristy parts of the islands and it’s easy to see why. (Hello, ice cream, Oreos, and hot fudge.)

Last year, on our first trip to Maui, we went out for Father’s Day dinner at the Hula Grill. We’d been shopping all afternoon in the hot sun and ended up sitting outdoors at the restaurant, directly in the sun. We got through dinner, ordered Hula Pie…and then Jordan almost got heat stroke. We ended up leaving Mel at the table, Hula pie melting away, to run back to our hotel to get her cooled off.

For an entire year I dreamed about that pie. It had been the one meal I was looking forward to, and I’d only gotten one bite. When we planned our return trip this year, I got smart: we relaxed all day in the pool and shade, drank lots of water, and went to Leilani’s on the Beach only once the sun had started to set. They had two kinds of Hula Pie that day: regular and Butterfingers. The three of us ordered a slice of each and demolished both in less than 10 minutes.

It was magical.

No Bake Hula Pie Recipe

Seriously, this is my favorite pie ever. I first was introduced to it about 16 years ago when I went to Kauai with my mom. I thought about it for years and years until I finally had it again. It’s one of those special things you can only get in Hawaii…until now.

The recipe starts with an Oreo Cookie Crust. I love making the crusts myself because they taste so much better than store-bought, but it would be much easier to go that route, so do what you like best! I love my Oreo Crust recipe because it’s totally no bake and it’s thick and even better than eating actual Oreos!

You fill the crust with macadamia nut ice cream. Now, it’s easy to find that in Hawaii, but not so much here on the mainland. I bought a big bag of macadamia nuts from Trader Joe’s, chopped 1 cup and stirred them into my favorite vanilla ice cream. Make sure to use a really good ice cream! Then pile it high into the pie crust.

Once it re-freezes you cover it with hot fudge and more macadamia nuts. The end result: pure decadence.

Easy No Bake Hula Pie Recipe - an easy no bake pie with an Oreo crust, macadamia nut ice cream, and hot fudge! No one could stop eating this pie!

My pie isn’t as high as a traditional Hula Pie, but that’s okay. I could have doubled up on the ice cream…but no one needs that many calories! 🙂

(Also…Mel ate it.)

Watch me make this recipe from start to finish on my YouTube Channel! Subscribe for all of my recipes.

Hula Pie

Yield: 8-10 servings

Total Time: 20 minutes, plus chilling

This easy no bake Hula Pie has an Oreo Crust, vanilla macadamia nut ice cream, and hot fudge topping! Everyone loves this pie!

Ingredients:

• 1 recipe Oreo Cookie Crust (or from the store)
  • 1 container (about 1.5Q) vanilla ice cream
  • 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts plus more for topping
  • 2 cups hot fudge ice cream topping
  • Whipped Cream, for garnish

Directions:

1. Make sure your Oreo crust is chilled if you made it from scratch. Let the ice cream sit at room temperature until you're able to stir it, but it's not all the way melted (about 10-15 minutes). Stir the macadamia nuts into the ice cream. Pile the ice cream into the pie, then freeze until hardened, at least 1 hour.
  2. Spread the hot fudge over the top of the frozen pie. Sprinkle with more macadamia nuts. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  3. To serve, top with whipped cream. It's easier to slice if you let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. The first slice might be messy!

Peanut Butter Ice Cream Brownies

Peanut Butter Ice Cream Brownies (4 of 9)

Butterfingers Ice Cream Pie

Butterfinger Ice Cream Pie (6 of 8)w

Ice Cream Poke Cake

Ice Cream Poke Cake (13 of 13)

26 comments on “Hula Pie

1. I am glad you got to go back and eat some hula pie. It looks like something that is worth the long trip alone!

2. Yummy ! I’ll try this for sure !

3. This looks so easy and SO GOOD! All the flavors together…with that crust, mmm! For you to say it’s your fave pie ever is a big statement!

4. Everyone, trust me! I had 2 slices of this and it was wonderful. 🙂

5. Whoa, almost heat stroke is serious business. And it must’ve hurt to leave that pie. But yeah, a relaxing day is MUCH smarter. Pie is the priority!
    I’ve never had hula pie before, and now I know I’m missing out on one of life’s great experiences. This looks amazing!

6. I’m so glad that this pie does not have pineapple, because I wasn’t in the mood for health food. Macadamia in pie makes me want to swoon.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 27th, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Haha pineapple schmineapple!

7. Leilani’s on the Beach is one of my favorite restaurants in Maui! I didn’t try their hula pie there, though. Your version looks SO good, Dorothy! I have no doubt that I would devour this all in about two seconds!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 27th, 2016 at 5:10 pm

I loved the inside restaurant too – so good!

8. Oh my goodness. I’m at a loss for words. I just want to eat this whole pie! I need to try this!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 27th, 2016 at 5:10 pm

It was hard NOT to eat the whole thing!

9. It’s been too long since I’ve had macadamia anything. This sounds so freakin’ fantastic. The nuts, the ice cream, the gobs and gobs of fudge. Where’s my grass skirt and coconut bra, I feel like dancin’!

10. Ohmygod.

11. We had Hula Pie when we went to Maui and LOVED it! You’re right, they pile it to the sky at the restaurant. It’s fun to see that sky high pie making it’s way across the restaurant to your table!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 27th, 2016 at 5:07 pm

It’s the highlight of my day!

12. Dorothy, this pie looks amazing! My husband and I are going to Hawaii in the fall, and I’ll definitely be on the lookout for Hulu Pie! In the meantime, I’m just going to have to make your recipe to prepare myself for extreme deliciousness!

13. just Yumm yumm….. will love to test it..

14. Hi dorothy!
    The recipes on your blog have always turned out so yummy! if you could check out the food blog that I just made that would be great! also, how do you make a food blog popular? I really like making posts but it is hard to get people to look at it:(

15. also it would be great if you could leave a comment!! with any suggestions

16. Dorothy is 100% correct in saying you should use the very best vanilla
    ice cream for this recipe. Ever since living on Maui and tasting this
    yummy pie for the first time at Kimo’s in Lahaina, I started making
    it myself. If you can’t make it to Maui and have a Duke’s near you
    on the mainland be sure to order the Hula Pie. Whenever we go to
    Maui I always order this pie as my meal, whether it be lunch or
    dinner !!!

17. WHY DID I NOT TRY THIS WHEN I WENT TO HAWAII WHEN I WAS 9??! Oh mannnn I missed out. Luckily, my brother has been stationed in Honolulu soooo I’ll prob visit him at some point and remedy my mistake then! But I’ll prob get impatient, which is why this recipe is PERFECT 😀

18. Leilani’s on the Beach was our favourite Restaurant when we went in Maui. We had Hula Pie also and we loved it. Unfortunately Hawaii is so far away from Switzerland. Thanks for your recipe. Now I can share this great Pie with all my friends.
    Greetings from Switzerland