Apr 05

Easy Pancake Rolls, 3 ways

Sometimes you just want comfort food for breakfast. These Easy Pancake Rolls are comfort food at it’s finest, and you can fill them with your favorite flavors.

Are you a Nutella? Or a Peanut Butter? Or a Lemon? Or something else entirely? I’m all three.

EASY Pancake Rolls with three fillings: Nutella, Peanut Butter, or Lemon Curd! These pancakes are a family favorite recipe and are a foolproof fast breakfast!

Last week was Spring Break for us. We spent it visiting family in San Diego. The week before that, the last week of school, was state testing week. Do you have common core where you are?

{If you said no, please tell me where you live. I want to move there.}

Common core is new here in California this year. Writing my feelings about this curriculum and how it’s being taught and handled is a post in itself (and it would probably include lots of swear words). Next year I’ll be opting Jordan out of testing, but I didn’t realize you could do that in time for this year’s tests.

What’s a kid need on state testing days? Pancakes of course. (With a side of protein and fruit, obvi.) Pancakes are Jordan’s comfort food. These pancake rolls are the ones she asks for most often. She eats them for breakfast, we eat them for brinner, and she often has them for an after school snack.

Pancake Rolls - EASY and fast recipe!

If you’re remember, it was about a year ago I first shared the original version of these pancakes, Cinnamon Sugar Pancake Rolls. Those went like hotcakes, as the saying goes. (Pun intended.)

The original version was followed up by a pumpkin one during fall. (Because obviously, #pumpkinallthethings.)

Now I’m making my favorite easy pancake rolls with a new twist: fillings. The filling isn’t limited to cinnamon sugar. You can fill them with whatever you want. I made you three versions today. Want to see?

Peanut Butter Pancake Rolls

Peanut butter and honey. Or, if you want, peanut butter and jelly. Great for breakfast, snack, or even lunch.

Lemon Pancake Rolls

Lemon Curd. Or hey, lime or orange curd. Or jam. These might be the adult version of pancake rolls. I’m not sure of too many kids who run around with a lemon curd spoon in their mouths. But I’ve been known to do that on numerous occasions so…

Nutella Pancake Rolls

And three, everyones favorite, Nutella. Or chocolate peanut butter. Or Hershey’s Almond Spread. Or….

Whatever. CHOCOLATE INSIDE.

These pancake rolls are not unlike crepes in their shape and size. But they are unlike crepes in that they are pancakes. You just make the batter really thin by adding more milk. Thinner batter = thinner pancakes. Thinner pancakes are ripe for rolling.

I start my batter with Bisquick. I always have. Bisquick is my go-to pancake mix when I don’t want them from scratch. I used the heart healthy white box of Bisquick for these but I’ve used the yellow box too. Use whichever you prefer, or use your favorite mix or scratch recipe. Just add about 1 1/2 times as much milk. You want a thin, drippy batter.

The original recipe post has a video on how I make my pancakes. I use a small skillet and make them one at a time. It takes some time, yes, but I always make a big batch and then freeze the leftovers. That way I can make comfort food breakfast for Jordan whenever she wants it.

Although I gotta say, I made a lot of the Nutella and lemon ones for comfort during testing week. #anyexcusetoeatpancakes

Easy Pancake Rolls, 3 ways

Yield: 10-12 pancakes

Make a batch of these easy pancake rolls and make everyone happy at breakfast by filling them with Nutella, peanut butter, or lemon curd!

Ingredients:

• 1 cup Bisquick baking mix (see note)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup nonfat milk
  • Fillings: lemon curd, Nutella, or peanut butter and honey/jam

Directions:

1. Whisk Bisquick, egg, vanilla, and milk until thin. The batter will be very thin and will drip easily off a spoon.
  2. Heat a small 7-8" frying pan over medium-low heat. Spray with cooking spray (or grease with butter) and add about 1/8 cup of batter in the pan. Swirl the pan to spread the batter into a large thin circle (like you're making a crepe). Cook until the top is filled with bubbles and you can easily flip the pancake. Cook for just a few seconds more then place on a plate. Repeat until all batter is gone.
  3. Top each pancake with desired filling and roll up. Serve warm.
  4. Pancakes are good for up to 3 days if stored in the refrigerator. Or, layer each pancake between paper towels or wax paper and freeze in a ziploc bag for up to 1 month. To reheat, removed desired amount of pancakes from freezer and microwave each for 15-30 seconds.

Notes:

I used Heart Healthy Bisquick for this recipe, but I’ve used the yellow box too. Use whichever you have! Or use your favorite mix, but just add about 1 1/2 times the amount of milk called for. You want it to be a very thin batter so that the pancake will spread very thin in the pan.

You are not limited to the fillings listed! Fill them with cinnamon sugar, lime curd, any jam...use your imagination!

Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Pancake Rolls

Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Pancake Rolls (4 of 7)w

Cheesecake Pancakes

Strawberry Cheesecake Pancakes (5 of 8)

Cinnamon Sugar Pancake Rolls

Cinnamon Sugar Pancake Rolls-2w

Nutella Pancake Rolls by Very Culinary
Jelly Roll Pancakes by Sweet Treats and More
Baked Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes by Big Bear’s Wife

Pin It Yum

51 Responses to “Easy Pancake Rolls, 3 ways”

1. Stacey @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. posted on April 5, 2015 at 3:52 pm (#)

Those look so fun – total kid comfort food.  Or you know, comfort food for anyone!  I love the lemon curd idea, I need to make some just to try that I think.  It’d be like lemon pie for breakfast I think! Yum!

2. marcie posted on April 5, 2015 at 4:44 pm (#)

This is such a great idea, Dorothy, I would never be able to choose a flavor.  I’d love them all!  Pinned. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 6th, 2015 at 6:41 am

Thanks for the pin Marcie!

3. Mom posted on April 5, 2015 at 4:45 pm (#)

Now you’ve made me want roll-up pancakes! Love the peanut butter idea.
    xoxo

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 6th, 2015 at 6:41 am

LOL Jordan wants them every time we see you!

4. Joanne posted on April 5, 2015 at 4:52 pm (#)

I love these rolled-up pancakes! My little man can eat pancakes every day, so I will make these for him.

5. Mir posted on April 5, 2015 at 5:37 pm (#)

Dorothy, do NOT get me started on common core. I’m a public school teacher who has been forced to administer the PARCC test instead of teaching my curriculum. I am not at all happy. I, too, could write about it for a while, but that’s a bad idea.
    These are a good idea, these pancake rolls. The best. I’m done.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 6th, 2015 at 6:41 am

I bet!! I am SO glad I’m no longer teaching. And we thought the High School Exit Exam was bad…

6. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on April 5, 2015 at 6:27 pm (#)

Looks so yummy and the perfect snack when dealing with – barf – common core!

7. Erin @ Miss Scrambled Egg posted on April 5, 2015 at 6:39 pm (#)

Common Core is all any talks about in Connecticut. The testing that goes along with the standards is extremely confusing for the high schoolers that I teach. They will be taking their testing in May, but the practice test for English is complicated. Pancakes would brighten anyone’s day. In fact, maybe when the kids have their testing, I’ll treat them to pancake rolls after they finish. They’re always asking me to bring in treats.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 6th, 2015 at 6:40 am

It bogles my mind!! Thank you Erin!

8. Mike B. posted on April 5, 2015 at 7:01 pm (#)

Common core…. spring skying…..
    Denver, Colorado. Love the idea of the roll up’s…. my little girl love pancakes.

9. Julie | This Gal Cooks posted on April 5, 2015 at 7:41 pm (#)

Ken totally loves pancakes and I should totally make these for him. Wait, I should totally make them for myself! 😉

10. Joshua Hampton posted on April 5, 2015 at 7:54 pm (#)

Hm. Common core. Less said about it, the better, I think. Anyhow, these pancake rolls. They’re dreamy. You’ve got my mind thinking up all kinds of fillings for them. Yum.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 6th, 2015 at 6:39 am

Yes, I prefer to eat pancakes! :)

11. Katelyn @munchie pie posted on April 5, 2015 at 8:03 pm (#)

Ughhh I have a four year old and I am only hearing bad things about the Common Core! It makes me want to home school her! :/

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 6th, 2015 at 6:39 am

Right??!! At least by the time she is in school some of the kinks will work out. And she’ll be starting it from the beginning instead of partway through!

12. Medha @ Whisk & Shout posted on April 5, 2015 at 8:37 pm (#)

Love this halfway between pancakes and crepes! I’ve always loved thinner pancakes and I love all the different variations :)

13. Wendy posted on April 5, 2015 at 8:48 pm (#)

Every parent needs a great comfort food recipe, like these pancake rolls,in their arsenal of ways to boost kids up to face the world…even if the world contains crazy things like common core. Our educational system (across the country) might benefit from getting the focus off numbers and tests, and back onto the children being served. Maybe even let teachers teach?! In the meantime, eat pancake rolls.

14. Jenna posted on April 5, 2015 at 9:11 pm (#)

I am a teaching assistant in a sixth grade class and yes we have common core where I live!! I am enjoying spring break this week and next week is state test time. I’ll definitely have to make these pancake rolls for breakfast to gear up :)

15. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on April 5, 2015 at 9:51 pm (#)

These are so creative! Love all the flavors!

And love your sangria post even more :) That is ways too dangerous for me :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 6th, 2015 at 6:32 am

LOL, me too. Hence the ONE serving…

16. Eve @ Baking the Day posted on April 6, 2015 at 2:28 am (#)

I love these pancakes – the filling ideas are amazing – peanut butter and honey any day!

17. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on April 6, 2015 at 4:50 am (#)

Fun and so versatile! I am a huge pancake fan, and this thinner version is a good way to shake things up!

18. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on April 6, 2015 at 4:51 am (#)

These pancake rolls look fantastic, Dorothy! I’ve always wanted to try these. And I love the variety of options! Pinned!

19. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on April 6, 2015 at 5:05 am (#)

These pancakes look like some great comfort food!

20. Malinda @countrysidecravings posted on April 6, 2015 at 6:56 am (#)

Common Core doesn’t sound like a good idea!!  However, these pancakes are and I don’t know how I would choose a filling, they all sound so good!!  My kids would go nuts for these!  Pinned!!

21. Jen @ Baked by an Introvert posted on April 6, 2015 at 7:37 am (#)

I’ loving these pancakes. Such great ideas for the filling! Pinning!

22. Jocelyn (Grandbaby cakes) posted on April 6, 2015 at 8:13 am (#)

I have a serious pancake addiction issue so these are not going to help at all.  I love the different flavor additions.  So fun!

23. Kelly - Life Made Sweeter posted on April 6, 2015 at 10:11 am (#)

These are so much fun!  I love all the different fillings! Such a great idea!

24. Manali @ CookWithManali posted on April 6, 2015 at 12:32 pm (#)

Totally love this idea! I would take all 3 please! Yum!

25. Eva @ Eva Bakes posted on April 6, 2015 at 5:38 pm (#)

i would be all about the Nutella and Biscoff pancake rolls!

26. Amy @Very Culinary posted on April 6, 2015 at 6:01 pm (#)

Haley requests your Cinnamon Sugar Pancake Rolls all. the. time. ! I love these new versions. Why did I never think to use my lemon curd??? So foolish. Thank you for the link love, friend!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 7th, 2015 at 10:16 am

Of course after I made them I googled and found your Nutella ones. OOPS!! :) xo

27. Megan - The Emotional Baker posted on April 6, 2015 at 7:06 pm (#)

How have I never heard of pancake rolls? These look amazing and wish I was having them for breakfast tomorrow morning 😉

28. Mariah @ Mariah's Pleasing Plates posted on April 6, 2015 at 8:58 pm (#)

One of my best friends is a teacher and she is always ranting about common core and what a tough adjustment its been. =/ On the bright side these pancake rolls looks amazing! I want them all!

29. Heather posted on April 6, 2015 at 9:53 pm (#)

State testing SUCKS, but pancake rolls can fix just about anything!! These are by far Stellas favorite food

30. Shinee posted on April 6, 2015 at 10:00 pm (#)

How fun! It’s like crepes, but thicker! I love it!

31. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on April 6, 2015 at 10:35 pm (#)

I think you totally deserve Pancakes rolls for state testing days too. Bravo on getting through that!

32. Trudy posted on April 7, 2015 at 12:04 am (#)

These look absolutely delicious! The chocolate ones are making my mouth water, and I’m thinking they might also be nice with berry jam and cream (very English – like pikelets!) Now, off to Google Bisquik to see if I can find an equivalent in NZ…

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 7th, 2015 at 10:15 am

Yes! Jam and cream would be perfect. If you can’t find the bisquick, you can use any pancake mix. Just make the pancakes thinner (add more milk to the batter so you get a thin pancake).

33. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on April 7, 2015 at 7:43 am (#)

d’awwwww pancakes and crepes had delicious babies!!! 😛 and I’d prob do pb + nutella! yesssss

34. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on April 7, 2015 at 11:17 am (#)

My daughter loves to roll hers with sugar, but next time I’m totally pulling out the lemon curd. YUM!!!  These are the perfect breakfast to keep on hand in the freezer.

35. Peanut Butter vs Nutella posted on April 9, 2015 at 6:54 am (#)

Give your opinion here http://bit.ly/PeanutButtervsNutella and you can win a gift card

36. Robin posted on April 13, 2015 at 9:08 am (#)

Come to Virginia! NO common core.  Please bring pancakes : ) : ) : )