get new recipes in your email box:

Feb 23

Hot Chocolate Float

This drink, quite literally, is my new favorite thing. Forget coffee…just hand me the hot chocolate.

A hot chocolate float is more of a method than a recipe…and it’s a method you need ASAP.

Hot Chocolate Float with only two ingredients!! Use your favorite ice cream to make your favorite float recipe.

Yesterday morning, as you were getting your coffee and reading your morning paper, I was corralling 9 girls who slept over at my house on Saturday night.

Since I’m writing this post ahead of time, figuring that I will be incoherent and unable to think, talk, or form non-screechy sentences after 10pm on Saturday night. I’m kind of thinking that all day on Sunday I’ll be needing some aspirin, a bottle of wine, a nap, and a pizza to recover from our first-hosted sleepover hangover. Somehow I don’t think writing is going to happen that day. Hence, I’m writing ahead of time.

Here’s the thing: I love my daughter. Other kids? Not so much. If I had a choice of 100 things to do, I’d choose to do any of them over hanging out with 9 10-year olds. #keepingitreal

I’ve already told Jordan she needs to be very nice to me on Sunday.

I think part of “being nice” means making me a hot chocolate float. With mint chip ice cream. #andpossiblyvodka

Hot Chocolate Float

This float. You guys. You need it. It’s hot chocolate…filled with ice cream.

Can we also talk about how that one time when I yelled, “Hey Jordan! Come help me with this photo shoot!” and she actually agrees and comes over to help and we’re shooting time sensitive ice cream and then I realize she’s wearing a tie-dye shirt.

Let’s pretend the shirt works in the photo, mmkay?

Her nails are clean. #surprisingbonus

I feel like I’m rambling. But really, normally right now I’d be talking about the ins and outs of the recipe. But…this recipe is so easy there’s not much to say.

1. Make some hot chocolate. You can use a packet or a homemade mix.

2. Add some ice cream. I used mint chip because we love mint…and that makes this a St. Patrick’s Day dessert. Use your favorite flavor ice cream. Peanut butter ice cream would be the bomb. Also? Dulce de leche.

3. The end.

Hot Chocolate Float

I will note that the mug I used for these photos holds approximately the amount of liquid in a small swimming pool. Not really, but you get my drift. It’s a big mug and it holds enough for two. So you should probably split the 8 ounce serving of hot chocolate between two mugs and add a scoop of ice cream in each.

Or do what Jordan and I did.

Hot Chocolate Float (10 of 10)

Share it. <3

Hot Chocolate Float

Yield: 2 servings

Add your favorite ice cream to a mug of hot chocolate and make a hot chocolate float!

Ingredients:

• 8 ounces prepared hot chocolate
  • 1/2 cup of your favorite ice cream
  • Whipped cream, for garnish

Directions:

1. Use your favorite hot chocolate mix to make a glass (about 8 ounces) of hot chocolate. I use the k-cups for my Keurig but you can also use 8 ounces of water with your favorite hot chocolate packet or 8 ounces of milk and some homemade hot chocolate mix.
  2. Pour an equal amount of the hot chocolate in two mugs. (The pictures shown are one very large mug, but it serves 2.)
  3. Place 1/4 cup (1 scoop) of ice cream in each mug. Top with whipped cream and/or sprinkles and/or chocolate sauce.
  4. Serve immediately.

Inspired by Food Network Magazine

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix (9 of 9)w

Hot Chocolate Krispie Treats

hot-chocolate-rice-krispie-treats11-4 words

Root Beer Float Milkshake

Chocolate-Root-Beer-Milkshake (1 of 4)

Vanilla Bean Root Beer Floats by Damn Delicious
Apple Cider Floats by Our Best Bites
Strawberry Ice Cream Float by Grandbaby Cakes

72 comments on “Hot Chocolate Float

1. You deserve a spa day with five of these vodka-infused floats thrown in for hosting NINE girls overnight. At what point did you scream at them all to just go the F to sleep? 🙂
    Making a float out of hot chocolate is brilliant. And I like the tie-dye shirt. It works!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:14 am

LOL! I told Jordan I really didn’t want “mean Dorothy” to come out. I tried my best and finally around 10:30 I said “the next girl to talk goes and sleeps by herself” and I didn’t hear another peep. But it took them forever to go to sleep so it was almost midnight before I let myself pass out. Since I’m normally out by 10, it was late!

2. Jordan’s shirt is hilarious in this picture. At 10 years old, I was all about that tie dye as well. I think the most friends that my mom let me have over for a slumber party was three…and maybe a special occasion of five on my birthday. Hopefully, you’ll get some rest this week as Jordan goes back to school. This float looks divine. I’m all about cooling down my drink so I don’t burn my tongue. Isn’t that typical? I get way to excited about a hot beverage or meal then ruin the experience by burning my tongue. Oh well, the solution is always ice cream on top! 🙂 Love this idea.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:13 am

I don’t think I ever want to do it again! It went amazingly well, everyone actually went to sleep, but man, it was work!! 🙂 Thank you for reading!!

3. YES to the vodka! Or maybe Amaretto? I am pretty sure I would drink the entire 8 ounce mug of this hot chocolate by myself!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:12 am

Oh yes. Amaretto!! That would be fabulous. I know I’d drink it all for sure. 🙂

4. HAHA @ #andpossiblyvodka.  LOVE IT.
    This float is what I want for breakfast.  Gimme all the mint chocolate chip ice cream – my fav! I hope you’re hanging in there after this weekend! Pinned 🙂

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:12 am

Totally breakfast!! 🙂 And we lounged yesterday and all slept long and hard last night! 🙂 Thanks for the pin!

5. The tie-dyed shirt totally works because this pretty float is like the pot of gold waiting at the end of the rainbow. Or the vodka-laden treat at the end of a slumber party 😉

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:12 am

Oooh, I never thought of that. Thank you Rachel, you’re so right!! 🙂

6. This float looks amazing. Yeah, I feel the same way about kids outside of the family. They generally just get on my nerves. I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one who feels that way. Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:11 am

Thank you for pinning!! And it’s nice to find other people that feel the same way, from the way people act you’d think no one thought that way!

7. I don’t think I could say forget coffee….but I think I could totally add this to my daily liquid intake 🙂

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:11 am

I want to add some espresso to it and make it a mocha float!

8. This float looks amazing! Love the pic of you and Jordan sharing this  and I think the tie-dyed shirt looks cool in the pic! I am not looking forward to sleepovers yet, you totally deserve all the rest and floats for being such a trooper 🙂

9. I love Jordan’s tie-dye shirt!! makes for a better photo photo and I absolutely LOVE the one of you and Jordan drinking the float together!! so cute! and hello, this is the BEST IDEA EVER.

10. I sooooo want this in my life.  I love that pic of the sharing but I’m not sharing mine.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:09 am

LOL, if she’d been at school I wouldn’t have shared either!

11. You are one brave soul, Dorothy. And so deserving of a day full of relaxation and that vodka.
    This float is outrageous. I would have never though to make a float with hot chocolate. But the mint ice cream totally works!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:09 am

None of us did much of anything yesterday!! Thank you Jen!

12. So glad you survived the weekend, Dorothy! 🙂 This hot chocolate float is brilliant! I totally want this for breakfast! Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:07 am

Um, it’s totally breakfast because it’s hot chocolate. 🙂 Thanks for the pin!

13. Dorothy, this is fabulous! I couldn’t love it more – for both the flavors, and how pretty it is!! I hear you on the kid thing…. I mostly just like the ones I’m related to. Can’t help it. Haha! Sounds like a big weekend!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:07 am

Yes it was!! We were all tired yesterday. Jordan slept 12 hours last night!

14. This is so smart, I love this, pinned!!!

15. Oh, I have done this for my son!  It is divine, no doubt about it!  Hope you are recovering from that epic sleepover – wow!  And that last pic is just precious.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2015 at 10:06 am

Thank you Monica! I just don’t even know why I never thought of it before! 🙂

16. I know I need this hot cocoa float in my life. But, sorry Jordan, I won’t be sharing it 🙂

17. Minty hot  chocolate with tons of whipped cream…yeah, twist my arm…please! 🙂

18. Oh my gosh, I’m dead. Why I never thought of hot chocolate and ice cream combo before?? It sounds amazing! And that last photo is so cute!

19. What a cute picture of you and your daughter!

20. Oh wow NINE girls!!  Congrats on making it through!!  🙂 This float looks great!!  I have never thought of putting ice cream in my hot chocolate and I am definitely going to try this!!  I love the picture of you and Jordan!

21. Omg, not only does this shake sound amazing and genius (ice cream!), but you and Jordan are adorable in the pictures! I hope the party was a huge success!

22. Float looks amazing and yummy !!!

23. I love hot chocolate! These floats look amazing!

24. WHAT an awesome idea!!!! omigosh I love it!

25. Yum!  I love this!  Of course it helps that mint chocolate chip is one of my top 3 favorite ice cream flavors.  But what a cool idea!  (no pun intended 🙂  I’d also like to hand you a medal for having that many girls over…the most I’ve had is 5 or 6….By the next morning, after breakfast, (because that part is fun for me…)…I’m just about standing at the door watching the clock ready to hand everyone back to their parents 🙂

26. Melting mint chip ice cream with a hot chocolate below.  Mmmmm.Do you think a peace treaty could be negotiated over one of these? I will enjoy some snarky laughter when my daughter gets to host’s a girl’s slumber party.  My granddaughter is only a year and a half so it will be a while.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2015 at 7:17 am

I bet my mom was laughing all weekend!! All of her yelling ‘GO TO SLEEP’ was coming back to me, lol!

27. This is the cutest! As a fellow coffeeaholic, I get it … cute doesn’t cut it. This is like life right here. Hot chocolate in a float is genius! And I don’t blame you one bit for the vodka. Sugared up preteens are something else … 🙂

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Amen Mary Frances!! And thank you!

28. Hahaha, I so do not look forward to that age! My 2 year old doesn’t get a lot of sleepovers just yet. I would need quite a few vodka-infused hot chocolate floats myself!

29. Mmm . . . I think I need one of these tonight for a bedtime snack 🙂

30. I love hot chocolate floats!We actually drink hot cocoa for breakfast every morning, although I do love coffee too. 🙂

31. 9 girls at a sleepover? NINE?!? You crazy lady! But I am also now scared for when my daughter is old enough to have sleepovers. Maybe at daddy’s house?? This looks super yummy, you know how much I love your homemade hot cocoa mix, so trying this!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2015 at 7:01 pm

LOL, yes. Or grandma’s house!! There’s an idea!! 🙂

32. Haha, reading about that sleepover is making me tired! Glad you survived it. This float would totally make it a little more survivable. 🙂

33. This sounds absolutely delicious! I know my kids would love this as a fun treat on St. Patty’s Day with the special mint and green touches! I am definitely pinning this!! 🙂

34. That is an absolutely brilliant idea!  You always put whipped cream on hot chocolate, ice cream sounds way better.  Especially mint.  Mint chocolate is the best.  I need this!

35. Gah, this is like all my dreams coming true!

36. Love the photo of you and your daughter! Hope you survived the sleepover!

37. I’m feeling the need to make this right now, and I don’t really even like hot chocolate, but I LOVE mint chip – hope you survived the sleepover 🙂

38. Hi…I don’t mean this to be a dumb ? But would the end result of this recipe be a cold in temperature taste? Cause it has ice cream in it…yet it started as ‘hot’ chocolate?!

Don’t get me wrong. ..it looks fabulous!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2015 at 6:59 pm

It’ll cool as the ice cream melts. But we drank it so fast it stayed pretty warm. 🙂

39. Hot chocolate ice cream floats are the best!!! That and Italian sodas always do it for me. Love the idea of a shamrock float. My girls will love this!

40. You are right. I DO NEED this in my life, asap! And you totally deserve it after hosting 9 little girls overnight. Yikes!

41. I’m gawking — GAWKING — at this Hot Chocolate Float. I would’ve never thought to do this, but I’m so glad you did because this pregnant lady knows exactly what she’s going to be reaching for tonight. (And the good news is I’ve got all the ingredients on hand! Win!) Brilliant!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Enjoy!! I know, I’m sure people do this but I never even thought of it. It’s genius!!

42. I DO need this! Right now!!!

43. Hot chocolate float?? I didn’t even know that was allowed!! I’m in:)

44. Mariah @ Mariah's Pleasing Plates Reply

You had me cracking up about loving your daughter but other kids not so much! I am the SAME way! Luckily she is too young to be requesting me to host any sleepovers. Loving this hot chocolate!

45. Ooh! It’s like the chocolate version of affogato and I’m all over either and/or both!

46. I lived on something similar to this last summer, made with coffee sorbet (homemade) and added a few shots of espresso. Yeah, that’ll either perk you right up or make your head explode! But worth it. My daughter, an only like your Jordan, had sleepovers. Every. Single. Weekend. Started at age 5 stopped when she left for college. There was still the random one when she and friends were home in the summers. She’s married a year now and living in Germany. She and hubbie were home for Christmas. I’d just moved into a house I built in the city. She had a NYEve party at my house with some of those very same friends from all those long ago sleepovers, with the additions of boyfriends, fiances. Of course, they stayed over, since NYE means alcohol! Seeing all those sleeping adults on New Year’s morning brought memories flooding back. What an honor to have watched those silly little girls grow into women who are changing the world!
    Jordan’s making some friends who’ll be with her for a long time on a great journey. You’re in for an awesome ride. Stock up on the Tylenol now!! Ha

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 25th, 2015 at 4:58 pm

What a great story!! I hope that she stays in touch with all these girls for life, that would be so awesome. I moved so much as an adult I lost touch with most of my girlfriends from school.

47. Love the photo of you and Jordan sharing the float. This is a great idea. I’ll take this over a root beer float any day.

48. You just rocked my hot chocolate ice cream float loving world!!!! Such a good idea! I would put up with a whole lot of 10 year olds for one giant mug of this float!

49. My sisters and I started making these and calling them Papa Connicks years ago!

50. This is pure genius! Dying to try it with peanut butter ice cream you suggested!