Jan 17

Candy Buttons

candy buttons

When I was a kid, any trip to an amusement park meant a visit to the candy store. Disneyland was, of course, the best one. It’s like stepping back in time when you step through those doors.

Being an only child with lots of only child friends, I usually got to bring someone when we went on day trips. Once I was even allowed to bring my best friend on a trip do Disneyland. That was so much fun…except that we wanted to kill each other by the end. Living in an RV for a week is killer…even with BFFs.

Anyway, one thing I remember most about that trip is eating candy buttons with my friend. Besides Honeycomb, candy buttons were “our” treat. We’d open a pack and split the parchment sheets. I think the best part about them was eating them off the paper with our mouths – no hands needed!

Still today, whenever I see candy buttons in a store, I think of her. I think I need to mail her some of these!

candy buttons

I saw this recipe a few years back in Rachael Ray Magazine. I pulled out the page and filed them away to make someday. When I started thinking of Valentine ideas, candy buttons came to mind. But instead of making them in the iconic blue, yellow, and green colors, I made them in pink and red. Really, you could make these in any color, for any occasion. Christmas, Halloween, 4th of July…the options are endless.

As I was making them, I realized – candy buttons are really no more than royal icing, dropped on parchment and dried. I used an actual egg white as the recipe called for, instead of meringue powder. But, essentially, they are one and the same. Powdered sugar and egg whites! But, I think because it uses and actual egg white and not powder, they taste better than royal icing. I wouldn’t just eat royal icing…but I’d eat a boatload of these.

And they are so small…it’s like you’re not eating anything. Just pure sugar. ;)

Jordan loved these, of course. It reminded me of myself when I was little.

candy buttons

Make them for your kids’ school party. Bring the nostalgia to a new generation. :)

Candy Buttons for Valentine’s Day

Candy Buttons for Valentine’s Day

Recipe from Rachael Ray Magazine

• 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 egg white
  • Red food coloring (or other color)
  • Parchment paper

1. Cut parchment paper into twelve 2x11” strips. I suggest you use parchment paper sheets for this. If you use a roll, do it ahead of time and lay something heavy on top of them to flatten them out, so they don’t roll up on you.
  2. Beat powdered sugar and egg white until thick and smooth, about 4-5 minutes. If you are making different colors, divide the icing into separate small bowls. If you are making pink and red, you can leave it all the same bowl. Make the pink first, then make the red from the pink.
  3. Drop 2 drops of red food coloring into your mixture and stir. Add more if you want a darker pink. Place half of pink mixture into a ziploc bag and seal. Add more red food coloring to make the light pink darker. (FYI - the food coloring will darken as it settles. You won’t get “red” at this point, but it will darken to red as the buttons dry.) Place in another ziploc bag.
  4. Snip the corner off of one bag at a time, and pipe small dots of candy onto the prepared parchment paper. Repeat with the second bag. Let dry several hours or overnight. Cut strips into desired lengths and eat.

Note: this recipe contains a raw egg white. While there is need for caution and you should always make sure that your eggs are fresh, I felt that the risk was low in this recipe. The recipe only uses 1 raw egg white (and the whites are typically lower in bacteria than the yolk) and produces a very large amount of candy buttons. I think that the risk is minimal if you enjoy a serving or two of the candy, however you must make decisions based on your own personal feelings.

Other Nostalgic Bites from Crazy for Crust:

Honeycomb

18117119210

Scotch Krispie Bark

Homemade Pixie Sticks from Love and Olive Oil
Cinnamon Broken Glass Candy from Mandy’s Recipe Box
Molded Maple Sugar Candy from Dreaming of White Chocolate
Fudge Candy Corn by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

78 Responses to “Candy Buttons”

1. keri @ shaken together posted on January 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm (#)

Seriously? Your own candy buttons? You are so cool. Oh, and pinned :)

2. Shannon @ Searching For Dessert posted on January 17, 2013 at 4:24 pm (#)

I used to love those when I was little! That is a perfect idea for Valentine’s Day :)

3. Jenn posted on January 17, 2013 at 4:31 pm (#)

Wow – did you get a new camera? Your pics always look amazing, but this post looks super professional with the blurred background! Candy buttons sound great!

4. Heather @French Press posted on January 17, 2013 at 4:37 pm (#)

OMG…I LOVE candy dots! I had no idea you could make your own – brilliant

5. Janine Huldie posted on January 17, 2013 at 4:57 pm (#)

Oh pinned these for sure. Totally awesome and am so trying these!! :)

6. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on January 17, 2013 at 4:58 pm (#)

Seriously. I”m obsessed with these. I love you for posting these!!

7. Lisa posted on January 17, 2013 at 6:18 pm (#)

They are so pretty! I almost wouldn’t want to eat them . . . but obviously I would :)

8. Mom posted on January 17, 2013 at 6:24 pm (#)

Ah, a trip down memory lane. Those fun weeks in the motor home. At least we got to see a lot of the country. And a lot of candy buttons and/or Dairy Queens!!
    Love,
    Mom

9. Veronica posted on January 17, 2013 at 6:30 pm (#)

Omg Dorothy these are the CUTESTthing! I also remember seeing them in the RR mag but yours looks even better! Love it for Valentines day! Cute cute cute :)

10. trish posted on January 17, 2013 at 6:39 pm (#)

This is very cool Dorothy – these do remind me of growing up – LOVE!

11. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on January 17, 2013 at 7:31 pm (#)

So freaking awesome Dorothy! Pinned!

12. Joan@Chocolateandmore posted on January 17, 2013 at 8:17 pm (#)

These are so stinkin cute!!!!! I can see these in school colors, to match birthday party themes, my mind is just going a mile a minute thinking of all the possibilities.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 18th, 2013 at 6:15 am

I know, I keep thinking of them too! Totally endless possibilities. And it makes a ton!

13. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on January 17, 2013 at 8:17 pm (#)

These are just cute as a button! Sorry, couldn’t resist :D But really, these are so so so cute! Perfect fun for Valentine’s Day coming up :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 18th, 2013 at 6:15 am

Ha, I love it! Thanks Kristi!

14. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on January 17, 2013 at 8:52 pm (#)

Whaaaaat? I didn’t realize you could make candy buttons! Well, I mean, obviously you CAN, unless there’s a secret factory where fairies and trolls work to make candy, similar to Wonka but without the oompa loompas because I think they have leprosy or something. Anyways, either you’re a dessert fairy or just super smart because this is awesome!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 18th, 2013 at 6:15 am

LOL, you always make me laugh Hayley! Thanks! :)

15. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on January 17, 2013 at 9:24 pm (#)

This is seriously the best idea! I always wondered how they made those things and it’s almost too good to be true I could make them at home. And I LOVE the color choices you used…so pretty & perfect :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 18th, 2013 at 6:13 am

Thanks Averie! And if you figure out a good egg-free option, let me know. :)

16. Kristy @ Sweet Treats & More posted on January 17, 2013 at 9:46 pm (#)

These are so cute and fun!!

17. Kristin posted on January 17, 2013 at 10:39 pm (#)

This is the one candy I never felt the urge to eat. My grandma owned a store with a giant candy case. This is the only thing I never tried to steal :)
    But, man, you’re creative!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 18th, 2013 at 6:12 am

LOL, thanks Kristin! I would have stolen every single candy. :)

18. Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry posted on January 18, 2013 at 12:12 am (#)

These little candy buttons just brought back so many memories! I used to love them when I was kid but I haven’t had them in so long. Now with this recipe, I can whip them up at home. Thanks for sharing!

19. Jeni posted on January 18, 2013 at 3:50 am (#)

So cute! You are right the possibilities are endless! I gotta try these buttons!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 18th, 2013 at 6:11 am

I know, I keep thinking of all the fun holiday colors! Thanks Jeni!

20. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on January 18, 2013 at 6:12 am (#)

Love making candy buttons! It’s been forever but I have them on my list now that my kids are old enough to enjoy them.

21. Jill posted on January 18, 2013 at 10:09 am (#)

Question and no trying to be a downer really want the answer. Does this fall into uncooked eggs and salmonella? Or the whites are safe? I want to try this but dont want a note home that all the kids got sick. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 18th, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I was originally aprehensive in making these for that reason. But, my eggs were fresh and organic, and the recipe only uses 1 egg white. Typically, from what I’ve read, egg whites are less risky than the yolks. Also, the recipe makes a TON of candy buttons, and I felt that the risk was low, as long as we all consumed reasonable amounts of candy. Go with your gut! If using a raw egg white is to risky, you can substitute meringue powder, thus making a royal icing instead. I would say about 2 teaspoons of meringue powder would work. :)

22. Tracy posted on January 18, 2013 at 10:11 am (#)

So the raw egg whites are safe to eat once they dry?

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 18th, 2013 at 2:42 pm

23. Tracy posted on January 18, 2013 at 10:15 am (#)

I’m thinking the same thing as Jill.

24. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on January 18, 2013 at 1:49 pm (#)

So fun! This brings back so many childhood memories!

25. Deborah posted on January 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm (#)

How fun are these!?! My daughter’s birthday is next week – these would be perfect for goodie bags! I’d love to have you come and link up at Taste and Tell Thursdays!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 19th, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Thanks Deborah! They’d be perfect for a party!

26. Loretta / A Finn In The Kitchen posted on January 19, 2013 at 7:48 am (#)

Do these ever bring me back….! They always seemed like a good idea, but the paper always stuck to them. Yours are adorable!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 19th, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Thanks! And they don’t stick as bad at all. Way better without eating paper!

27. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on January 19, 2013 at 2:26 pm (#)

You’re like the coolest mom ever. These are awesome!

28. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking posted on January 19, 2013 at 3:24 pm (#)

now I don’t have to do to the candy store, I’m coming to your house. Homemade candy buttons? GENIUS!!

29. Leigh Anne @Yourhomebasedmom posted on January 19, 2013 at 6:34 pm (#)

One of my favorite childhood candy’s. They were so fun to eat!
    I just started a new Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party on my blog this week – would love to have you stop by and share! http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/finding-the-pretty-delicious-linky-party/

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 20th, 2013 at 8:24 am

Me too! Thanks for the invite!

30. Baking Serendipity posted on January 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm (#)

I’d totally forgotten about these. I love them!

31. Jackie posted on January 31, 2013 at 9:43 am (#)

Love this :) We never called them buttons though…always candy dots….I am from New England. Did everyone call them buttons?

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 31st, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Maybe it’s an east coast/west coast thing? We always called them buttons! :)

32. Pingback: Candy Buttons | london, like the city

33. Mimi posted on February 11, 2013 at 7:17 am (#)

I grew up with these and loved them! My boyfriend was just commenting the other day about loving them and now I know exactly what I’m going to make for our Valentine’s Day together!!! Perfect timing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I’m glad Mimi! They bring back so many memories! :)

• Kathy replied on February 12th, 2013 at 4:47 am

I made these yesterday….so cute! Let them dry overnight, and this morning they just slid off the parchment paper! Any suggestions?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 6:19 am

Hmmmmm. I know that a couple of mine slid off, but the majority (over 90%) stayed stuck, even for days. The only thing I can think is possibly climate. I know that, when I make royal icing, the weather can change things. So maybe that affected these? Is it dry/humid/cold/hot where you are? Was your heater on or your A/C? I’m just brainstorming different things that might have affected it, so we can troubleshoot, so to speak. The recipe from Food Network didn’t mention anything about sliding off…so I’m guessing. I’m so sorry that happened!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 6:20 am

Oh, and not that you’d want to do this with all gazillion of them, but a little corn syrup will get them stuck back on that paper. ;) (This is reply #2)

34. Mimi posted on February 13, 2013 at 2:58 pm (#)

lol Ok, I made them today!! I cut the hole too big (hahahaha) and they look like mini hershey kisses! I tried to cut the next bag smaller, but couldn’t figure out how to make them round! I can’t wait to try them. I also couldn’t find meringue to substitute. lol

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 13th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Sorry about all that! I think big ones are good! Some of mine ended up a little pointy too. :)

35. charlene posted on May 7, 2013 at 9:59 am (#)

im going to make these for my grandkids they do not even know what these are so what a suprise this will be thanks for sharing!!! we ate these all the time as a kid.

36. Pingback: 17 Valentine's Day Treats - Somewhat Simple

37. Pingback: celebrate: national candy month | Café Zupas

38. Pingback: Red Velvet Cookie Cake - Crazy for Crust

39. kathy posted on January 18, 2014 at 8:57 am (#)

i always wondered how to make them, now i know. thanks, my grandkids will love them (and me too)…

40. Pingback: 20 Valentine's Day Sweets for Your Sweet - your homebased mom

41. Pingback: Candy Buttons | London, Like the City

42. Pingback: Happy Hearts Day Gifts + Treats - Design Crush

43. Pingback: Valentine's Day Ideas - Crazy for Crust

44. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Round Up {Sharing the Love}

45. Maya posted on February 16, 2014 at 4:51 am (#)

wow looks great and the colors are so lovely need to ask you what can i use instead of egg whites? can i add flavors like almonds?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 16th, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I haven’t done it, but I think you could use meringue powder instead of the egg whites. (The finished recipe is pretty much like royal icing.) And other flavorings would work amazing!

• Maya replied on March 25th, 2014 at 5:23 pm

thanks Dorothy for your reply im sure it will be great with any flavour, sure will try it with maringue
        have a blessed day