Candy Buttons for Valentine’s Day
A delightful childhood candy, remade at home! Make them any color you want, for any holiday
Prep Time30 minutes mins
Resting Time2 hours hrs
Total Time2 hours hrs 30 minutes mins
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 ½ cups (170g) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons meringue powder (see note)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Food Coloring (any color or colors)
Cut paper into twelve 2x11” strips. I suggest you use white paper sheets for this. If you use a roll, do it ahead of time and lay something heavy on top of them to flatten them out, so they don’t roll up on you.
Beat powdered sugar, meringue powder, and water until thick and smooth, about 4-5 minutes. If you are making different colors, divide the icing into separate small bowls and color as desired.
Place each color in a pastry bag or ziploc bag.
Snip the corner off of one bag at a time, and pipe small dots of candy onto the prepared paper. Repeat with the second bag. Let dry several hours or overnight. Cut strips into desired lengths and eat.
- You can use 1 egg white instead of the water and meringue powder.
- I recommend regular printer paper for this - NOT parchment or wax paper. The buttons will slip right off those two because they're nonstick.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 71kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 0.1g | Fat: 0.002g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 2mg | Sugar: 18g | Calcium: 0.3mg | Iron: 0.01mg