This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Make a homemade Shamrock Shake – this is a copycat recipe full of vanilla ice cream and mint flavor. Making them at home means you can have them all year long – this is such an easy recipe!
Table of Contents
What is the Flavor of a Shamrock Shake?
It can be hard to put your finger on what the flavor of a shamrock shake is, but its really quite simple – mint and vanilla! This seasonal favorite is a highly coveted all-American delicacy for many, but few end up making the trip to McDonald’s to snag one of their own before St. Paddy’s Day comes and goes.
If you’re craving a shamrock shake but lamenting that it isn’t in season (or maybe it is, and you can’t be bothered to trek to the drive-thru), you’ve got the luck of the Irish – this copycat shamrock shake recipe tastes just like the real deal!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Just 4 ingredients
- Change it up to your liking
- Add alcohol to make a boozy shake recipe!
Shamrock Shake Ingredients
- Ice cream – Traditionally you’d use vanilla ice cream, but you could also use chocolate or mint chip ice cream. Use any brand you like.
- Milk – You can make homemade milkshakes with regular milk, nonfat, or any nondairy milk.
- Peppermint extract – This gives that telltale mint flavor – skip the mint extract and grab peppermint.
- Food coloring – green food coloring makes this perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!
How to Make a Shamrock Shake at Home
- Decorate your glass: If you want to make your milkshake snazzy, pour a bit of honey onto a plate (a spot as large as the rim of your glass) and a bit of green sugar onto a second plate. Dip the rim of your glass into the honey, fully covering it, and then dip the rim into the sugar. Then, set your glass to the side.
- Blend: Blend ice cream, milk, peppermint extract, and food coloring thoroughly in a blender until completely smooth.
- Pour: Pour the milkshake into your prepared glasses. Finally, top it off with some whipped cream and a cherry.
- To avoid an overpowering flavor, you’ll want to do some taste tests while adding the peppermint extract. We’re going for a light and creamy flavor, not Altoid!
- Just like the peppermint extract, don’t go too wild with the food coloring. Try just a couple of drops at first, then add more as needed.
- Try using other flavor ice cream instead!
- Use any kind of milk, regular or nondairy.
- Add some vanilla vodka, whipped vodka, or Baileys Irish Cream to make a boozy shamrock shake!
I prefer to use regular food coloring, but gel works too. Just know that it will take more gel food coloring to get the desired color!
Yes! To make this recipe dairy-free, throw a 3.4 oz box of vanilla pudding mix, 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk, 2 to 3 cups of ice, ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract, and 3 drops of food coloring into a blender. Simple!
Copycat Shamrock Shake Recipe
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1-2 cups milk see note
- ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract see note
- 3-4 drops green food coloring
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Cherry for garnish
- Honey and Green Sanding Sugar for garnish
- If you wish to decorate your glass, place some honey on a plate and green sugar on another
- plate. Dip the glass in the honey then the sugar to make it stick. Set aside.
- Place ice cream, milk, extract, and food coloring in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour milkshake into glasses. Top with whipped cream and a cherry.
- Taste test before pouring to see if you want to add more peppermint extract. It’s a
strong flavor so you want to be sure it’s not overpowering.
- Start by adding less food coloring and add more as desired. I prefer regular food coloring
for this – gel will need much less to get the desired color.
- This recipe has been updated. The old recipe is a shamrock shake without ice cream. Here’s what you need to make it: 2 cups Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla
Almondmilk, 1 about 3.4 ounces box vanilla pudding mix (regular or sugar-free), 1/2
teaspoon peppermint extract, 3 drops green food coloring, 2-3 cups ice. Blend until
smooth and serve.
This post was originally sponsored by Almond Breeze in 2017 and it has been updated.
Other Milkshake Recipes
Last Updated on February 24, 2023
This shake is yummy! It was exactly as I had hoped. I am on the Keto diet. After seeing an ad for a peppermint shake, I started really craving one. I went on Pinterest trying to find a Keto friendly one. This hit the spot!! And I don’t feel guilty about drinking it. Thanks SO much for the recipe! I can’t wait to make it for my kids.
I love this recipe. It’s DELICIOUS!