Oct 10

Butterfinger Fudge

This Butterfinger fudge is so amazing and easy – and it starts with candy corn!

butterfinger fudge

I think Halloween was one of my favorite holidays as a kid. I mean, it’s the candy holiday. How could I not love it?

{Back then Halloween was the only candy holiday; Valentine’s Day was purely give-the-kids-you-like-a-card and not like it is now. My mom did not make three dozen heart shaped cookies and wrap them special for every kid in class. And I kinda miss those days…}

I know I loved me some Reese’s. And M&Ms. And Twix (the peanut butter ones, remember them? I never see them anymore). But Butterfinger? I’m not sure I remember being SO in love with them.

I mean, I know my mom loved them. She always had them hidden in her stash.

Have I not told you about my moms’ candy stash yet? Oh, goodie. Buckle up, kids.

You see, my dad (and, it turns out, me) have this problem with portion control. As in – we have none. So, two candy bars could disappear in about three seconds. Candy isn’t cheap and my mom was tired of it disappearing quick as pinot grigio at a RHONY event. So, she hid her candy from the two of us.

Occasionally she would let me in on the secret. Or, I, um, would find it on my own. No, you should not leave me alone in your bathroom. I will look in the medicine chest.

Anyway, I learned from a pro and I have perfected the hidden candy stash. I hide it in plain sight…where Jordan wouldn’t even think to look. Kinda genius, if you ask me.

Okay, back to the matter at hand.

Butterfingers. I remember eating them as a kid. I mean, I ate them the normal way and everything: I sucked off all the chocolate and then ate the center.

What? That’s totally normal, right? RIGHT??

When Hayley posted her Homemade Butterfingers a few weeks ago, I remember that I totally wanted to make them because I had a huge bag of candy corn in my pantry.

Oh yeah, you know about this recipe, right? How candy corn and peanut butter get married and produce Butterfinger children? It’s so strange it’s weird at first…like your brain doesn’t want to accept the fact that it’s true.

So, anyway. I decided to make the homemade Butterfingers. But, well, I cannot follow a recipe. So I used Hayley’s recipe…and made it into fudge.

Because fudge is cool. And, since Christmas will be here, like, tomorrow, you all are probably already making your “foods to make and give” lists, right?

This fudge tastes like Butterfingers. It’s soft and chewy, a little chewier than traditional fudge. I like it plain…but for the purists out there, I dipped some of the squares in chocolate.

Those were good too.

If I wasn’t on this cleanse I’d have to hide them from myself.

And that never really works, does it?

{BTW, I had to show that pic. I actually have pretty nails!!! For another week or so; it’s a shellac manicure. :)}

Thanks for reading!

Butterfinger Fudge

Ingredients:

• 3 cups Candy Corn
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 cups white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips, optional

Directions:

1. Line a pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. (I used an 8x8 pan. The fudge was very thick, so if I made it again, I’d use a 9x9 pan.)
  2. Add Candy Corn and peanut butter to a medium saucepan and heat, over low heat, stirring every 30 seconds or so, for about 3 minutes. Add sweetened condensed milk, stir, and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds (you don’t want the milk to boil; a slight simmer is okay). Add white chocolate chips and stir until everything melts together. (It will seem like it’s never going to melt...but it will!)
  3. Spread evenly in pan. Cool on counter about 15 minutes, then chill until hardened. Cut into squares.
  4. If you want, you can dip the fudge in milk chocolate. Melt chocolate chips (I added a little vegetable oil to thin them) and dip the bottoms of the fudge squares in the chocolate. Set on a wax paper lined cookie sheet to harden.

Notes:

This fudge is a little softer and chewier than traditional fudge. But it actually tastes like a Butterfinger!

Recipe adapted from The Domestic Rebel.

145 Responses to “Butterfinger Fudge”

1. Pingback: Pumpkin Praline Fudge - Something Swanky

2. Leigh posted on November 17, 2012 at 5:59 pm (#)

Hello,
    I just wanted to tell you I made this fudge for a bake sale for my relay for life team and it was a hit.
    I lost my mom 3 years ago to cancer and butterfingers was her most favorite candy bar so I just had to make this fudge for the bake sale in her honor.
    Thank you so much for this recipe.
    I already have request for it again.
    Leigh

3. Amanda posted on December 10, 2012 at 9:59 am (#)

Tried making this over the weekend and the fudge never set fully. Tasted great just never set and I followed the recipe exactly like it said. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

4. Susan posted on December 19, 2012 at 10:07 am (#)

Is that a small or larger can of sweetened condensed milk? Looks yummy!

5. Pingback: 2012 Reader Favorites from www.crazyforcrust.com | Crazy for Crust

6. Amy posted on January 11, 2013 at 8:39 pm (#)

I made this for Christmas and put it in my goodie tins for all my daughter’s teachers. It was ahuge hit. One poor asst. teacher took hers home and her mother ate it all while she was in her room changing. She came back out to an empty tin and the best part is her mom doesn’t even like sweets. Two thumbs up!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 12th, 2013 at 7:42 am

Yay! I’m so glad it was a hit. :) Thanks for letting me know!

7. Ricky posted on January 11, 2013 at 11:28 pm (#)

These sound good!

Oh and by the way, I still eat Butterfingers the same way today.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 12th, 2013 at 7:41 am

Ha! Glad I’m not alone! :)

8. donika@momwhats4dinner posted on January 27, 2013 at 9:38 am (#)

My dad loves candy corn! Another recipe I gotta try…thank you! ~Donika

9. Julie posted on January 29, 2013 at 11:14 am (#)

I made this for my husband to take to work during corporate inventory…I got Facebooked, texts, all around hurrahs for the fudge. Apparantly they were giving it to their customers too! It was so good!
    Next time I will try and chop up the candy corn so it melts faster…it does seem like it will never come together, but when it does…whew!!

Thank you!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 30th, 2013 at 9:04 am

Yay! I’m so glad they liked it. :) And so totally yes on cutting up the candy corn. It takes FOREVER!

• Jamie replied on October 27th, 2013 at 8:51 pm

My patience wore thin so I grabbed my potato masher and hurried the process along.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 28th, 2013 at 6:44 am

That’s a great tip Jamie. I know it takes FOREVER. But the end result is so worth it!

• Jamie replied on October 28th, 2013 at 8:00 am

You bet it was! The fudge received rave reviews.

• Elisabeth replied on November 16th, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I made this recipe and took it to work. I also made a batch to take to my kids’ school. Every single person that tries this says, “Oh. Peanut Butter Fudge.” And I have to agree. Other than the name, I would never have guessed these have anything to do with Butterfingers. I followed the recipe and simply taste a sweet, peanut butter flavor. Not bad, but definitely not Butterfingers. :(

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 17th, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy it Elisabeth! I totally got a Butterfinger flavor from it, so strange! What brand of candy corn were you using? I wonder if it different brands make it taste different?

10. Chocoholic posted on January 29, 2013 at 12:25 pm (#)

I really love these recipe ideas, but why is there no nutritional information listed?

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 30th, 2013 at 9:03 am

Thank you! Unfortunately I have no way of calculating nutritional information. I’d also rather not know, lol!

• Jess replied on October 17th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Really? who cares! lol

11. Pingback: Amaretto Fudge - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

12. Pingback: 60+ Peanut Butter Desserts - Something Swanky

13. Pingback: Reese's Fudge - Crazy for Crust

14. Beverly posted on July 25, 2013 at 9:03 am (#)

This looks delicious! And, confession, you were not the only one to suck off all the chocolate before eating the peanutty goodness.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 26th, 2013 at 11:42 am

LOL, glad it wasn’t just me!

15. Leslie posted on August 7, 2013 at 7:19 pm (#)

This is SOOO GOOD! I am so happy i found This! The fudge was to die For when I got finished and I have made it many times seince then Truns out Great!
    Thank You!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 8th, 2013 at 8:17 am

Yay! I’m so glad you liked it!

16. Pingback: Butterfinger Fudge Recipe | Budget Savvy Diva

17. vanillasugarblog posted on October 1, 2013 at 9:54 am (#)

I have a dear friend who is CRAZY for candy corn.
    I must make this for her

18. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes posted on October 9, 2013 at 10:39 am (#)

I love butterfingers! Totally trying this!

19. Cath posted on October 19, 2013 at 11:42 am (#)

I love your site and enjoy your sence of humor. not too many people make this exciting and fun as you have! Remember you can eat like this when you are young but Watch Out, it will catch you in the fat trap in the END! Making the Oatmeal Wh-Chocolate Puddin Cookies NOW and they smell amazing. My hubby’s favorite cookie is Puddin cookies I have made since we were married (28 yrs.), so with your recipe I am using just the same as for mine, instant vanilla pudding. We are Crazy for oatmeal in this house(buy it in bulk 2- 10# bags) and rairly use quick oats only Old Fashion, so we will see how they turn out. Also, I use Organic Coconut for the butter, yummmm, my front door is locked but you can still smell the Vanilla as it doesn’t bake out or freeze out! (vanilla is the same as my Gma used) Thanks again for the recipe, i will let you know what the scales tell me in a few days, LOL 😀

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 20th, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Oh, I know! The fat trap is already here. That’s why I workout 1+ hours at least 6 days a week!

20. Pingback: Favorite Pinterest Finds of the Week #1 | A Pinch of Glitter

21. April posted on October 30, 2013 at 8:39 am (#)

I made this recipe last night. It’s amazing! It came out great! It’s a huge hit at my office and my husband’s.

22. Eris Urth posted on October 30, 2013 at 9:49 am (#)

Make sure you check the ingredients list on the back of the white chocolate chips. Not all (most) companies use actual coco beans in their white chocolate. Ghiradelli’s included!

23. Pingback: Candy Corn Magic Bars - Crazy for Crust

24. El posted on November 4, 2013 at 9:58 pm (#)

I was not thrilled, or even happy with this. I mean, it’s fine, but that’s it. It’s not really good and it definitely doesn’t taste like Butterfinger to me. I’m so disappointed in this. I was really looking forward to Butterfinger fudge and was teasing all my friends about it. Looks like I’ll have to eat crow on this one :(

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I’m so sorry you didn’t like it El! Is it the texture or the flavor? I know that this has more of a fudge texture than a Butterfinger one. Every time I’ve made it everyone has loved it! :(

• El replied on November 5th, 2013 at 2:33 pm

It’s the flavor. It tastes like plastic peanut butter. That gross chemical plastic taste from the candy corn is very apparent in it, and the only flavor I get is peanut butter. I love peanut butter but without an essence of plastic lingering through it.

25. Pingback: Easy Peanut Butter Oreo Fudge | Chocolate Moosey

26. Pingback: Favorite Pinterest Finds of the Week #3 | A Pinch of Glitter

27. Pingback: 10 Giftable Fudge Recipes – Cooked with love, Mom

28. Stacy posted on January 14, 2014 at 5:13 pm (#)

I tried this today. The recipe said it was soft, but mine is really hard to cut. It’s more like caramel than fudge. What did i do wrong??

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 14th, 2014 at 6:56 pm

The only thing I can think is that the candy corn might be to blame. I have a feeling that older candy corn (or different brands) might perform differently. Is it that hard at room temperature?

• Stacy replied on January 14th, 2014 at 7:20 pm

I had it out of the fridge for about 20 mins before i cut it. Maybe that want long enough. Or it could be the brand. It’s really hard to find candy corn now that Halloween is over! So i took what i could get. Thanks for the input! :)

29. laura posted on October 5, 2014 at 8:15 pm (#)

I just made these tonight and sprinkled chocolate chips on top. I followed the recipe exactly but it just tastes like regular PB fudge dipped in chocolate to me. :( I wish I knew what I did wrong.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 6th, 2014 at 7:13 am

It might just be a taste thing Laura. For me the fudge had more of a chewy texture, a cross between a butterfinger and fudge. That, with the peanut butter flavor, made it more reminiscent of a candy bar. I guess everyone tastes things differently!

30. Pingback: 15 Halloween Desserts (That Aren’t Pumpkin-Flavored) |

31. Pingback: Halloween Candy, Round 2 « Harvard Common Press

32. Michelle posted on November 13, 2014 at 1:17 pm (#)

Does it matter if you use real peanut butter (the oily kind that separates) or the commercial stuff like Jiff or Skippy that has sugar, etc. added to it? I want to make this tonight but only have real peanut butter at home and don’t want a big runny mess….

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 13th, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I’ve never made this with natural peanut butter Michelle, so I’m not sure how it would perform with it. If you do give it a try, let me know.

33. Pingback: Pin-Worthy Featured Links

34. Pingback: Weekend Potluck #40 – Sunflower Supper Club 3

35. Billie posted on May 1, 2015 at 12:06 am (#)

I tried to make these tonight. 3 hours later and the candy corn is still not completely melted.(brachs, expiration date November 2016) and all the oil from the peanut butter (skippy)  is at the bottom of the pan. Was looking forward to trying this recipe. What could have gone wrong???

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 1st, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Oh my gosh! I’m not sure Billie. I cooked mine over low heat for probably 15 minutes and they eventually melted. I really am not sure why it still wasn’t melted even after so long. Possibly something in the candy corn? That’s the only variable, I guess. Possibly cutting up the candy corn would help it melt faster. But 3 hours? I’m not sure. I’m sorry!