Apr 08

Tiramisu Cups {To Go}

I sang karaoke.

Sober.

{I know, I can’t believe it either.}

Last Friday night a friend of mine hosted a mom’s night out – ’80s style.

There were hot pink shirts, scrunchies, leg warmers, NKOTB accessories, and spandex.

And Love Shack on the karaoke machine. Oh, and Like a Virgin.

{Funny side story: Jordan used to love to sing Love Shack. Only she would sing it “…bring your JUICE BOX money!”}

I still can’t believe I sang karaoke. And the windows didn’t shatter!

I brought these yummy Tiramisu Cups for dessert. I made them in plastic cups so they’d be easy to bring with me. I used cupcakes instead of lady fingers. And I used Cool Whip.

I could say I used Cool Whip because that was all the rage in the ’80s. We only had real whipped cream (and by “real” I mean “canned”) for holidays. Cool Whip was a staple in my childhood.

But no, that’s not why I used it. I have a confession:

I like Cool Whip. It’s easy. It comes fat-free. And it’s tasty.

But hey, if you’re a processed food hydrogenated oil hater, go ahead an use whipped cream. But then you won’t be authentically ’80s, you know. Because the ’80s was all about the processed foods. (Canned cheese, anyone?)

Tiramisu Cups {To Go}
by Crazy for Crust
(adapted from Nabisco)
Tiramisu Cups {To Go}

• ½ cup instant vanilla pudding mix (dry)
  • 1 ½ cups cold milk
  • 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
  • ¼ Cool Whip (plus more for garnish)
  • 4 yellow cupcakes, baked and cooled with the wrappers removed
  • ¼ cup cooled brewed coffee
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 6 plastic disposable cups or equivalent dishes

1. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth. Beat in pudding mix and cold milk until creamy. Stir in cool whip.
  2. Slice cupcakes into thirds. Place 1 slice of cupcake in the bottom of each cup. Spoon about a teaspoon or two of coffee on top of the cupcake layer, according to your coffee tastes. Equally portion half of the pudding mixture into the six cups. Sprinkle with a bit of cocoa powder (I used a small sifter for this, to make it evenly sprinkled). Repeat the layer with the remaining cupcake slices, coffee, pudding, and cocoa.
  3. Top each cup with a dollop of Cool Whip and another dusting of cocoa powder. Chill for at least two hours before serving.

You didn’t think I was going to leave you hanging, did you?

Those legwarmers? Were actually from the ’80s thankyouverymuch.

Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!

Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I’m Lovin’ it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters’ Stuff, and all of these too!

Comments

comments

52 comments on “Tiramisu Cups {To Go}

1. Hahaha Awesome! I loved NKOTB! And these tirimisu cups look tasty – cool whip and all.

2. Eeek! I love your costume!! And these cups are so easy. Love!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on April 8th, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Hayley! It was fun to put together. :) I even raided Jordan’s closet for the headband and legwarmers!

3. You go, girl! We stumbled upon an outdoor DJ over spring break this week and, shamefully, all four of my kids can now do The Macarena! :-)

4. haha I’ve never sang Karaoke I think it’s on my not do list and it will remain there forever. I am really excited about this tiramisu cups but now I am afraid that I will make them and I can eat them anywhere, I will gain weight for sure 😀

5. My first encounter with “Love Shack” was from an episode of Full House. Also, this:

Stephanie danced to it at a recital and I thought it was awesome. That was the 90s though :)

P.S. You’re welcome.

Also, tiramisu is good in any form and awesome “vintage” leg warmers!

6. Haha, how adorable are you?! I love Cool Whip, not afraid to say it aloud!!!

7. I’m not sure, but I think I wore that EXACT outfit in the 80’s. =) And, I’m sooo impressed that you sang karaoke–awesome! What a great idea on the tiramisu cups–they look just perfect.

PS–I put cool whip in/on just about everything.

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on April 10th, 2012 at 8:02 am

I think I did too! But the leggings had stirrups. 😉 Thanks for reading Ashley!

8. I l.o.v.e tiramisu! These cups look fantastic! Along with your awesome pink leg warmers of course :)

9. I love these little tiramisu cups! They are so cute and your outfit too!

10. The idea of portable tiramisu in ready-to-go cups sounds like I need bigger pants. But in the best way. :-)

11. The cups look delicious, I love the idea of them being portable! Your outfit looks great too :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday !

12. We sang karoke at our wedding! It was great! Although, I can’t say we were too sober when we did it! I love the outfit, and hello! Canned cheeese is one of my faves still!!

13. Those look delicious and what a great way to bring them to a party without too much mess.

Thanks for linking up at Mealtime Monday!

Kaylee
    Couponingncooking.com

14. First off…. you looked super cute! When I was in high school some friends and I did an 80’s party it was so much fun.

We never had real whipped cream when I was a kid… it was always in a can or we would have a big tub of cool whip in the freezer. My husband actually prefers cool whip to the my home made whipped cream. He’s a weirdo!

I love the idea of the the cups to go, great party idea I will have to do this next time I have a party or BBQ.

15. You look awesome!

And I love cool whip more than I love Nutella. And that’s saying something.

16. These certainly look delicious! You had a whale of a time and you were well decked out for the event. Thanks for sharing this on Creative Monday. I am now a new Follower of your Blog. Have a good week!
    Judy – JUDY H-J’S THOUGHTS

17. These look so delicious! I’m wondering where your “back-combed” huge 80’s hair is though? (just kidding)
    I’m your newest follower from “Couponing & Cooking” blog hop.
    If you get a chance please checkout my blog: godsgrowinggarden.blogspot.com
    Thanks
    Angie

18. Awww, you’re too cute!! Way to go singing karaoke. Your desserts look super-yummy!

19. Oooo, these look SO good! Hey, I had pink leg warmers too! :-)

20. Yummy recipe and funky 80’s look!

21. those look simply divine – a simple way to make my favorite dessert!

Love the outfit 😉

By the way, I found you through the Chef in Training link up!

22. What a cute idea. Love your blog and I am your newest follower. xo

23. Awesome costume…you look too cute!!! and kudos to you for singing karaoke! I love cool whip…nope not ashamed to admit that at all! In fact I eat it by the spoonfuls…just because!!!

24. This comment has been removed by the author.

25. Genius. Plain and simple. :)

26. Just 2 more reasons to love you, this dessert and you remember the 80’s! I try to avoid cool whip, not because I don’t love it but once we open the container it seems to disappear late at night after everyone else but me has gone to bed.

Don’t tell anyone, I have a pair of leg warmers in my sock drawer from the 80’s but they’re white, I wanted them to go with everything.

27. “Juice box money” – haha! I grew up in the 80s and my parents were all about “natural foods”… no processed cheese, no snack foods, no cool whip, no sugary cereals. I always wanted to spend the night at friend’s houses so I could eat all the yummy junk food.

Love the leg warmers!!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on April 11th, 2012 at 6:45 pm

How sad! No cool whip? No Frosted Flakes? I wouldn’t have survived, ha ha. :) I always wanted to go to friends’ houses because their moms let them open more than one box of cereal at the same time.

28. I can’t wait to try these, my son loves tiramisu, he will love this!

29. Love the leg warmers. Found your post via Mealtime Monday linking party. Love this creation following you on Pinterest and looking forward to reading your blog. :)

Amee

30. Sounds like a fun party, looks like a tasty dessert too!

31. This looks good! I love Tiramisu can’t wait to try this!

32. Love Tiramisu and your presentation is portion controlling and appetizing. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

33. Very cute, but what about your side ponytail? :)

Such a dreamy, creamy dessert!

34. This sounds great! I can’t never find lady fingers at the store.
    Pat

35. Love it! The tiramisu cups, the eighties night and you are rockin’ that outfit! How fun. Thanks for sharing at this week’s BFF Open House.

36. Cute legwarmers :)

Love the idea of these tiramisu cups – they look soo good! Stopping by from Mix It Up Monday. Pinning to share!

37. OMG, Dorothy…I had a NKOTB Donnie doll…and I was 20!! You look fantastic – glad you had fun!!
    Debbie @ Life Is Sweets

38. Look at you! You are HAWT! I can’t do Cool Whip and I grew up on it too. I guess I’m a hydrogenated oil snob. I can live with that. 😀 Come link this one up too. Heck, link them all!

39. Tania-lee@hotmail.com Reply

These look good, but I guess I am a snob & would not call them Tiramisu cups. Maybe yummy summer pudding cups?