This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Learn how to make a White Russian recipe, which is a simple cocktail made with just three ingredients. It combines coffee liqueur, vodka, and cream for a rich and creamy drink that is perfect as an after-dinner drink.
Table of Contents
What is a White Russian Drink?
Not going to lie – for a long time, I totally thought it was a Russian drink, but then I learned the backstory. The “Russian” part of the name is a nod to the vodka in the drink, which is a classic Russian liquor.
It actually came to be after someone invented the Black Russian drink around 1949. That one is made with just coffee liqueur and vodka. Years later, someone thought to add some cream, and the White Russian recipe was born.
The combination of coffee, cream, and vodka makes a great cocktail! This recipe makes one drink, and it takes less than five minutes to make.
It’s cold, it’s creamy, and it’s perfect for sipping on after dinner. Plus, it’s really easy to make – you don’t need a bunch of different liquors and mixers. Just three ingredients plus some ice is all you need.
White Russian Ingredients
- Vodka – use your favorite brand (mine is Tito’s)
- Kahlua – or other coffee liqueur that you like
- Heavy cream – but you can substitute milk or half and half if you prefer
How to make a White Russian
- Add some ice cubes to an Old-fashioned glass.
- Pour the vodka and Kahlua over the ice.
- Add the cream, stir to combine, and enjoy!
Tip From Dorothy
- Always use good quality liquor, not the cheapest stuff. Midshelf brand is fine, but just make sure to use one you like but that comes in at least a glass bottle. Good liquor makes a difference!
- This is the easiest drink to pour for a crowd because you’re just pouring into the glass no shaking needed!
A white Russian has vodka, Kahlua, and cream. A mudslide adds one more ingredient: Irish cream. Sometimes mudslides have a little more cream, too.
They are both made with vodka and coffee liqueur, but a white Russian also has heavy cream, which is how it got its name.
You can stir all three ingredients, so your drink is uniform in color. Or, mix the vodka and coffee liqueur and float the cream on top. Or, you can swirl the cream into the drink by partially stirring it so you can see ribbons of cream in the glass.
Yes, you can use Baileys instead of Kahlua to give the drink a different spin. Or, you can make the drink with vodka, Kahlua, cream, and Bailey’s, which is a classic mudslide drink.
White Russian Drink Recipe
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce Kahlúa
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- Add a handful of ice to an Old Fashioned glass.
- Add the vodka and the Kahlúa.
- Stir in the cream.
Other Favorite Drinks
Learn how to make a White Russian which is a simple cocktail made with just three ingredients. It combines coffee liqueur, vodka, and cream for a rich and creamy drink that is perfect as an after-dinner drink.
Last Updated on March 28, 2023