A Chocolate Pina Colada is a twist on a classic drink with pineapple juice, coconut cream, chocolate, and rum. This is a great summer drink that you can serve with or without the rum. If you like amazing frozen cocktails, you need to give it a try!
I didn’t think you could really improve a classic pina colada, but then I tried a chocolate pina colada and realized I was wrong about that! Giving the tropical pineapple drink a chocolate twist is a great way to switch it up.
And there’s no better time to give it a try than during the summer. I love a fruity frozen cocktail when it’s hot, and this easy pina colada with chocolate is the best drink to sip on by the pool or on the patio. You’ll feel like you’re on vacation without having to leave your backyard.
What is a Chocolate Colada?
It’s a pina colada made with pineapple, coconut cream, ice, and rum with a touch of chocolate sauce for a twist. The flavors are great together, and it’s a fun way to serve this classic frozen drink.
You can make this a cocktail or as a mocktail – just leave out the rum.
Table of Contents
- Rum – you can use your favorite, but I think it’s best with white rum.
- Coconut cream – make sure to use cream and not coconut milk. They’re not the same thing, and coconut milk will change the texture of the drink.
- Evaporated milk – this is sold in the baking aisle
- Pineapple juice – I like canned best
- Chocolate sauce – Any brand
- Ice – Fresh is best!
- Sliced pineapple or a cherry for garnish
How to Make a Chocolate Pina Colada
1. Place the rum, coconut cream, condensed milk, pineapple juice, chocolate, and the ice in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Drizzle chocolate sauce on the inside of the glass for decoration, and then pour the drink into the glass.
3. Add the garnishes, if using, and serve!
How to Make a Virgin Chocolate Colada
Place all of the ingredients, except for the rum, in the blender Blend until smooth.
Add drizzles of chocolate sauce to the inside of the glass, pour in the drink, and add the garnishes.
- You can serve this drink in a traditional pina colada glass which is called a tulipan glass. Or it also works well in a wine glass or high ball glass.
- Remember to use coconut cream and not coconut milk for this recipe.
- To make drizzling the chocolate easier, chill the chocolate sauce before decorating the glass.
- For an extra boozy kick, add a floating shot of dark rum.
- You can also switch out the rum for coconut rum, dark rum, spiced rum, Irish cream (like Baileys), or coffee liqueur.
Piña Colada Variations
- Add a banana when you blend the other ingredients.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the top of the drink as a garnish.
- Try adding different fruit like blueberries, strawberries, or blackberries.
Colada flavor is a combination of pineapple and coconut. It’s tropical and refreshing!
A bushwacker is very similar, but it’s not made with rum. Instead, it’s made with a coffee liqueur like Kahlua instead of rum.
Yes, just leave out the rum or other alcohol. Are you ready to sip on a chocolate colada? Then, be sure to give this cocktail a try this summer! Just be warned – they are very easy to drink!
More Frozen Drinks You’ll Enjoy
Chocolate Colada Recipe
- 1.5 ounces Rum any, but white is recommended
- 2 ounces of coconut cream
- 2 ounces evaporated milk
- 3 ounces pineapple juice
- 3 ounces of chocolate sauce plus more to decorate on the walls of the glass
- 1 cup of ice
- 1 piece of pineapple or cherry optional for garnishing
- Add rum, coconut cream, condensed milk, pineapple juice, chocolate and the ice into the canister of a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Decorate the glass with more chocolate.
- Transfer the contents of the blender into your prepared glass and optionally garnish.
- Do not substitute coconut milk for coconut coconut cream as it will change the consistency of the cocktail.
- Tip: chill the chocolate sauce a bit before decorating the glass and it’ll drizzle easier.
- For an extra kick, add a floating shot of dark rum
Different liquors to use: Coconut rum, dark rum, spiced rum, Irish cream (bayle´s) or coffee liquor.
- Add a banana with the other ingredients to blend.
- Add chocolate chips on top for garnish.
- Add a different fresh seasonal berry: blueberries, strawberries, blackberries.
- Turn it into a mocktail by removing the liquor.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
If you like amazing frozen cocktails, you need to give this Chocolate Colada a try! If the name sounds familiar, you’re on the right track as this drink is a pina colada but with chocolate!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: July 9, 2021