Easy No Bake Pretzel Cookies with peanut butter and butterscotch chips are a great treat to make when you don’t want to turn on the oven. They are crunchy and have that fantastic salty-sweet combo, and are really easy to make.
These are basically Pretzel Haystack Cookies and they are fabulous!
These pretzel cookies have a lot going for them: no bake, easy-to-make, sweet and salty, and a crunchy texture. Basically, they’re your dream no bake cookie!
What are no bake pretzel cookies?
No bake pretzel cookies are typically a type of cookie made with pretzels held together with something like chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter, or butterscotch chips. Sometimes they’re called pretzel haystacks since they are made the same way as a classic haystack cookie.
I love them all year, but they’re really great in the summer when you don’t want to turn the oven on. They’re also great during the holiday season because they keep well, and they look great on a cookie platter.
My pretzel cookies are like butterscotch no bakes with a combination of pretzels, butterscotch chips, and peanut butter. They are so easy and fun!
Table of Contents
- Butterscotch Chips: These are like chocolate chips but they are butterscotch flavor, sold in the baking aisle.
- Peanut Butter: I used creamy peanut butter but you can use crunchy, be sure to use a no-stir peanut butter.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds flavor
- Mini Pretzel Twists: Just the normal pretzel twists, any brand
- Sea Salt: For garnish
How to Make Pretzel Haystack Cookies
1. Combine the butterscotch chips and peanut butter in a bowl. Microwave them for 30 seconds and then stir. Keep warming the mixture in 15-second increments until you have a smooth mixture.
2. Add the vanilla and stir. Mix in the pretzels and stir until they are completely coated.
3. Scoop approximately one to two tablespoons and drop it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the salt over the top. Repeat this with the rest of the mixture, spacing each cookie apart, so they aren’t touching.
4. Refrigerate the cookies for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are set.
I love these pretzel cookies because you change them up to create new cookies every time you make them. Here are some ideas!
- I love them as peanut butter butterscotch cookies, but you can switch the butterscotch chips for milk, dark, or semisweet chocolate chips.
- Or, try using white chocolate chips.
- You can add mix-ins like chopped candy bars, M&Ms, or Reese’s Pieces. Mix them into the melted peanut butter and chips.
- Add some other toppings like finely chopped nuts or sprinkles. I love the flakey sea salt, but feel free to leave it off.
- Like other kinds of haystack cookies, these pretzel cookies can be a little delicate. If you need to store them, I recommend layering them with parchment paper in the container. Don’t just pile them in! Otherwise, they will break or end up stuck together.
- I use these cute tiny pretzels for this recipe, but you can use any kind of pretzel. If they are large, you should crush them into small pieces first. I’ve linked the type I use in the recipe card.
- You can keep no bake cookies at room temperature or in the refrigerator. If you keep them in an airtight container, they can keep well for up to two weeks.
If you’ve been looking for a new no bake cookie recipe, you should give these easy pretzel cookies a try. Once you know how to make them, you can make all kinds of variations!
More No Bake Recipes You’ll Enjoy
No Bake Pretzel Cookies Recipe
- 11 ounce bag butterscotch chips
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups mini pretzels or roughly crushed pretzels
- Maldon flake sea salt for garnish optional
- Place the butterscotch chips and peanut butter into a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir together. Continue to microwave on 15 second intervals, stirring in between until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract until combined. Add the pretzels and stir until fully coated.
- Line sheet trays with parchment paper. Using a cookie scoop or you can eyeball it, place 1-2 tablespoon sized mounds of the mixture, not touching.
- As soon as you place one cookie down, sprinkle with the flake sea salt and repeat.
- Place the sheet tray into the fridge until set, about 10-15 minutes.
- These cookies are crunchy, sweet, salty. I love that you can mix up the chip flavors and make different versions of these cookies.
- The flake sea salt adds an extra kick of salt but it’s not overwhelming. The butterscotch chips and peanut butter are plenty sweet to offset the saltiness from the pretzels and additional salt.
- You can also use any salt you prefer to sprinkle the tops.
- While they set up nicely, these cookies like most cookies of this style can be a little delicate so I do not recommend stacking a bunch in a container. Instead, layer them with parchment paper while storing.
- The itty bitty mini pretzels make these cookies extra cute, however they can be made with any pretzels. I do suggest crushing them up a bit if they are any bigger so it makes the cookies easier to eat.
- These are the pretzels I used.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
These No Bake Pretzel Cookies are so good and they please almost everyone! They’re sweet and salty, easy to make and have the best, crunchy texture.
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: June 25, 2021